PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Peppers for Seymour???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Would you trade Peppers for Seymour ???

Do I want to trade the best 3-4 defensive end of his generation for a lesser player who's looking for a huge contract?

I'll pass, thanks.
He was asking about Seymour.

Well its not ignorant, I would hope Seymour plays well and stays for another 2 to 4 years.. I would hope Jason Taylor comes on board for 2 years while we build thru the draft, but then again we dont know what Belichchick thinks of the draft

What a bunch of ignorant fools.

If you clods keep it up you jusut may get him fed up enough to leave the Pats, but fortunately Belichick won't let him go.

Jeez.....everybody.....watch what you post.....Seymour may read it and decide to leave the Pats!

Whoa....it feels so good to have this power....and I thought I was just a meaningless poster on a Patriot's fan BB.

Let's all get together and see if we can get rid of Maroney! Post bad stuff about him....well...wait a minute....that didn't work the past 2 years, it probably won't work now.

The lack of love for Seymour on this board simply baffles me. Quality 3-4 defensive ends don't grow on trees. We've got two of them and a brilliant nose tackle. Keep the line intact for as long as we can.

I would agree with that, as long as we have reasonable expectations that we can keep Seymour. He has given the impression in the past that he is a bit of a "me first" guy and out for maximum money, kind of like Asante Samuel. If, and only if, the FO thinks it is probable that he will move on after next year, and if Peppers really wants to play 3-4 OLB and would be willing to agree to a reasonable contract, then I would consider that trade. Otherwise, stick with the status quo.

I'm always somewhat skeptical of metrics in football and would rather use my own 2 eyes, but it is interesting to note that the Pats defense on their right end (offensive left tackle) is 2nd in the league. At other areas of the defense, it ranks anywhere between 15th-24th.

Basically, that would suggest Seymour is the strength of the defense.

What do you mean the Pats defense on their right end is 2nd in the league? What are we measuring here? Yards?

if we're talking about an "in a perfect world" scenario...

i'd like to see wilfork and seymour extended, jason taylor signed hopefully on the cheap, and our next LB/OL corps drafted this year and next.

that would be a far, far, far better scenario than getting peppers (with a pick that could have been used to find a younger guy) and losing seymour. our defense is not just about flashy plays. we definitely need another OLB but I think we're going to have to find the future in the draft at that position.

this is a big draft. we're going to get some players. i'd rather see that happen than go for the quick fix.

Honestly, Seymour's role with the team is a less than glamorous one. I myself can hardly tell he is on the team sometimes, but that is not to say that he is doing a lousy job. Its just that his role is not the sexy one that will generate the Sportscenter highlights. Because of this, I can't even consider myself to be a good judge of his talents on the field. Belicheck seems to think the world of him though, so he must be doing something well.

I sometimes fall into the trap of thinking that a DL who does not post large sack totals must not be that good, but that's just not the case.

You do realize that Peppers is not a defensive end in this defense... right?

Exactly. I know some people are high on Peppers, but the fact is he is too small to play DE in a 3-4, and their are question marks on his ability to be an OLB. So do you think BB is going to trade for Peppers (probably losing a second round pick), pay the man (smacking Wilfork and the rest of our salary cap in the face), and put him in at OLB because he thinks it would be a neat little project to convert at this point in his career? That's just not the Patriots MO.

No. We have draft picks.

The next time BB takes a gamble by blowing a hole in a position with a proven vet would be the first.

Repeat, we have picks.

Richard Seymour is the most overrated defensive lineman in the league, and quite possibly one of the most overrated football players in the Super Bowl era.

You really ought to have your privileges revoked for posted such arrant idiocy.

Peppers might be an athlete, but he wil never be a member of the Hall of Fame in Canton.

Is that definitive enough for you?
Very definitive. Prossibly correct, but certainly definitive.

However, what does this have to do with trading Seymour for Peppers?

You don't want to trade for a guy because he probably won't be in the hall of fame? Or you feel the need to never trade a guy, ever, because he probably will be in the hall of fame?

The question is, will the team be better in 2009 and beyond with:

a) Peppers at LOLB and Jarvis Green at RDE?

b) Seymour at RDE and Pierre Woods at LOLB?

Seymour has never been the same since he signed his big contract extension. I used to love how he played/dominated.....now....I am ready to move on.

<bangs head against the wall>

I mean, do you even watch the Patriots? Sometimes, with some of the stuff people post on here, I wonder. He had his best season last year since 2003/2004.

You want to know why he wasn't the same before that? Because he was INJURED.

Honestly, Seymour's role with the team is a less than glamorous one. I myself can hardly tell he is on the team sometimes, but that is not to say that he is doing a lousy job. Its just that his role is not the sexy one that will generate the Sportscenter highlights. Because of this, I can't even consider myself to be a good judge of his talents on the field. Belicheck seems to think the world of him though, so he must be doing something well.

I sometimes fall into the trap of thinking that a DL who does not post large sack totals must not be that good, but that's just not the case.

I don't go back and watch games again to see what guys are doin, but I tend to agree with this train of thought.
I AM a kool-aid drinker though.
Either way, I don't think they will break the bank for him when the time comes.

Last edited:

You don't want to trade for a guy because he probably won't be in the hall of fame? Or you feel the need to never trade a guy, ever, because he probably will be in the hall of fame?

It's not as clear cut as you'd think. Jarvis is a liability against the run, and tends to wear down when he's relied on for full-time duty.

Besides, whether Woods is starting at OLB remains to be seen. Clearly the coaching staff likes him. There's also the unknown commodity in Crable and the draft.

I'd keep Seymour.

Seymour is the prototypical 3-4 DE. Peppers might be a good OLB conversion if he's really dedicated to it. When the proven commodity is as good as Seymour is, you take it.

And on a side note, I don't think that Seymour's gone after this year. He's too good, and too important to the D.

This isn't meant facetiously, or as binky-pimping, but can anyone say with certainty that Peppers would make a better 3-4 OLB than, say, an Aaron Maybin or Connor Barwin?

I'll take option B. Jarvis Green, as a starter, is a huge downgrade from Seymour. Woods is still young, plus Crable could very well be a candidate here pretty soon.

Last edited:

<bangs head against the wall>

I mean, do you even watch the Patriots? Sometimes, with some of the stuff people post on here, I wonder. He had his best season last year since 2003/2004.

You want to know why he wasn't the same before that? Because he was INJURED.
Maybe if you didnt bang your head against the wall you could see the obvious. Seymour has been mailing it in for 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes