PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade our 1st and 3rd rd 2008 picks for Briggs?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade NE's 1st and 3rd 2008 picks for Lance Briggs?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 49 94.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hughthehand

On the Roster
Reaction score
Now that we have Oakland's 3rd round and SF 1st round pick for 2008, would you trade our 1st and 3rd for Lance Briggs?

Briggs will be garbage if he's not in the Tampa-2.

I think we should get Briggs, and I think we CAN get Briggs for a first round draft pick (no third).

We need him, not for this year, but for the future.

In 2008, Colvin will be in the final year of his contract and a potential cut or trade*. Bruschi will probably be retired. If we get Seau for this year (as I expect) it will probably be his last (he just wanted a ring). Vrabel may still have something in the tank, but not much. In short, our entire LB corps is being disassembled, and we need replacements.

The biggest stumbling block for me is the potential for Briggs to demand more than he is worth. But if the Chicago situation gets ugly enough, Briggs will have the incentive to take a below market deal (just to get the hell out of there).

*I'd keep Colvin in 2008 if his 2007 matches his 2006. I'm just saying that its close enough that the Patriots will have to examine it, and a poor 2007 could easily change their minds.

No, I wouldn't. We need to add depth at ILB. Briggs is another outside LB where we already have big dollars tied up in Vrabel, Colvin, and Thomas.

We need depth at ILB. Specifically, we probably need a classic run-stuffing ILB. That's a different skill set and one that can be filled effectively with a lower priced player than Briggs.

No...I don't think he wishes to play in a 3-4...and...not a fit..

It makes no sense to give up a #1 AND shell out a ton of cash.

This is something the Seahawks didn't understand.

You preserve the salary cap for your OWN free agents and solid guys like Adalius Thomas.

Your draft picks, on the other hand, should be used on guys that will only make between $1 - $2 million on average.

I feel that would be incredibly bad.

Briggs would want huge money. I would rather give it to Asante Samuel and keep our picks.

A first and third next year would be too steep anyway, especially when Briggs doesn't even want to play in a 3-4.

As others have mentioned, it's questionable whether Brigss would be productive in the Pats' 3-4. In addition, the overall value of adding him has to be weighed against the salary he'll demand & the cap hit. He won't be cheap.

With two #1s and two #3s next year, the team can leverage value to young players to fill their needs. Regardless of how the Pats went after FAs this season, it's still necessary to build the team long term with young, talented draftees. That's why they're loading up for next year, which hopefully will be deeper in talent than this year.

The Niners could be a Frank Gore injury away from being a 6-10 pick

Agreed. As we have discussed regarding the draft value chart- it's not just about picks now, but also about the cap ramifications of those picks, too. You don't want to give up high picks and pay a big cap hit...IMO, we wouldn't have given a 1st for Adalius Thomas, plus the $7M/year. No way we should give that up for Briggs.

Briggs said he doesn't want to play in a 3-4 defense and wants a ton of money. Take him away from Brian Erlacher and possibly he's not as good. Besides where would he play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back