PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Maroney for Marshawn Lynch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I'd keep Maroney....cut Sammy Morris...cut Fred Taylor...keep faulk + ellis and draft Toby Gerhart.

First, Maroney isn't a bust. He hasn't been playing to his first round level, but he isn't a bust. A disapointment maybe, but not a bust. Maroney has performed at a high level, just not consistently. A bust would never show anything.

Theres no reason to have Taylor and Morris if Maroney is playing at such a high level.

There have been games where BJGE has looked like a first round pick and way better than Maroney.

Him "getting benched" in the Houston game was reportedly because of an injury. He did start the playoff game against the Ravens, but because of the hole the Pats got themselves into no RB other than Faulk did anything (and most of Faulk's runs were from the shotgun in draws). If Maroney was benched because the coaching staff lost faith in him, no way they would have started him in the playoffs..

His injury must have been a bruised ego because he was yanked and sat down directly after fumbling on the goal line.

That said I don't see a trade of Maroney for Lynch. The Bills will never trade him in the division unless they got a sweetheart deal. Also, Lynch is a huge risk since he is this close to a year long suspension.

NE needs to draft a RB for the future because Maroney sure aint it.

Theres no reason to have Taylor and Morris if Maroney is playing at such a high level.

There have been games where BJGE has looked like a first round pick and way better than Maroney.

His injury must have been a bruised ego because he was yanked and sat down directly after fumbling on the goal line.

You're going to far with your critisism of Maroney. He's not as bad as you are making him out to be. As the op said, he's inconsistant.

That said, he is made out of glass and not a 1a back.

Perhaps if we draft a banger to pair with him (Dwyer or Gerhart) and use him more in the passing game, he will look better.

Last edited:

Did you miss the "not consitently" part? The guy did rush for over 100 yards four of five games in December and January in 2007. Last year, he had solid games vs. Tennessee, Miami, Buffalo, Carolina, the Jets, and New Orleans.

As for BJGE, he had one good game and another decent one in 2008 and became an overrated scrub on this board.

He was on the injury report and missed practice time the week before the Houston game.

Never said that Maroney is the future. I just disagree that he was a bust. He has been inconsistent, but does have good playing ability when he is on.

Never said that Maroney is the future. I just disagree that he was a bust. He has been inconsistent, but does have good playing ability when he is on.

I agree, but we need to draft a clock-eating Dillon-like bruiser who doesn't fumble, either this year or next. It should be a top priority. Such a back, plus Maroney would be a knockout 1-2 punch IMO.

Maybe this year they don't draft anyone and just hope that between Morris and Taylor we'll have a healthy compliment to Maroney almost every week, kind of like last year. :help:

I agree, but we need to draft a clock-eating Dillon-like bruiser who doesn't fumble, either this year or next. It should be a top priority. Such a back, plus Maroney would be a knockout 1-2 punch IMO.

Maybe this year they don't draft anyone and just hope that between Morris and Taylor we'll have a healthy compliment to Maroney almost every week, kind of like last year. :help:

We already have all the proof we need in regards to Maroney being a better player with a Dillon like back to run with. Look at Maroney's first year when he split carries with Corey.

Can I ask why?

I liked him a lot in college and was ecstatic when the Pats drafted him. So my hopes were very high for him and I've been very patient with him. I thought the 07 playoffs were going to be his launching pad for a breakout 2008 but he got hurt. After the sold but unspectacular 09, my patience is wearing very thin and I would welcome a trade of Maroney for Lynch.

Lynch is an idiot, he just can't stay out of trouble. I wouldn't want him anywhere near here.

I'm still backing Maroney, all these Maroney bashers sicken me, the guy gives his all everytime he is on the field. If the guy was an UDFA you would all love him, its just that he was a first rounder and you expect him to be a superstar.

Its just ridiculous the amount of dislike there is for a good, honest pro on this board.

Great, we have a good, honest pro who dances around and doesn't hit the holes with any authority...do you think if he was good enough, BB would keep trying to give the job to old men like morris and taylor?

Last edited:
the idea is not to compete with the jets in order to collect jerk football players

Did you miss the "not consitently" part? The guy did rush for over 100 yards four of five games in December and January in 2007. Last year, he had solid games vs. Tennessee, Miami, Buffalo, Carolina, the Jets, and New Orleans.

As for BJGE, he had one good game and another decent one in 2008 and became an overrated scrub on this board.

Maroney has started a total of 14 games for the Pats. 14 games in 4 seasons?

Wilfork was drafted in the exact same draft slot as Maroney - 21. Can you imagine if Wilforks career mirrored Maroneys? BUST

He was on the injury report and missed practice time the week before the Houston game..

Its a bunch of excuses and good luck deciphering Bill Belichicks injury report. Youll be the first.

Maroney himself admits BB benched him because of the fumble Laurence Maroney holds on to blame - BostonHerald.com And, BB benched Maroney vs Jacksonville for the same offense. NE gave him 1 carry vs the Ravens. HA

Fumbling and dancing are not attributes you want to see in a RB.

No. I'd keep Maroney....cut Sammy Morris...cut Fred Taylor...keep faulk + ellis and draft Toby Gerhart.

Agreed, although I'd at least consider keeping Taylor. Love Gerhart though, would be pretty pumped if the Pats got him.

Wrong. Belichick (and every other coach) wants 2+ good running backs at all times. Why did the Jets draft Shonn Greene when they already had Thomas Jones and Leon Washington? Why did the Vikings draft Adrian Peterson when they already had Chester Taylor? Why do the Dolphins have Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams? Why did the Cowboys draft Felix Jones when they already have Marion Barber? Why do the Giants keep Jacobs and Bradshaw? I could keep going, but if you don't get the point by now then you're not going to.

Name one. Which game? I like BJGE, but he has looked like an UDFA in every game he has ever played. Actually, that's kind of harsh, he looked pretty good against Buffalo in 2008... in a game where he was only playing because we were down to the 5th RB on the depth chart, and he was promptly benched anyways as soon as any of our good RBs were healthy.

Belichick has talked openly and often about Maroney's professional attitude and commitment to improving himself.

Why is it that the people who know the least about football are always Maroney bashers? That's not to say that all Maroney bashers don't know anything, but posts like this are pretty much the first red flag you get that someone has nothing of any substance to contribute and should probably go right on my ignore list.

Last edited:
Wrong. Belichick (and every other coach) wants 2+ good running backs at all times.

Youre wrong.

Who was the other good RB when Dillion/Faulk and Smith/Faulk were here? If youre going to tell me Patrick Pass or Heath Evans then you really dont have a clue.

Regarding the Jets, it clearly obvious to knowledgeable fans why they drafted Greene? The Jets werent paying Jones 6 Mil for 1 season.

Name one. Which game? I like BJGE, but he has looked like an UDFA in every game he has ever played. Actually, that's kind of harsh, he looked pretty good against Buffalo in 2008... in a game where he was only playing because we were down to the 5th RB on the depth chart, and he was promptly benched anyways as soon as any of our good RBs were healthy.

Vs Denver 08. He buried his head and didnt dance throughout the other games. BenJarvus Green-Ellis 2008 Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com It wasnt a bad season.

BJGE showed a lot of promise in 08 and for whatever reason didnt have a strong 09. At least he wasnt a 1st round pick.

Belichick has talked openly and often about Maroney's professional attitude and commitment to improving himself.

So what. BB still benched him. Twice!

BB has never thrown a player under the bus by saying anything negative to the media. So your comments are meaningless. Now get all mad and throw a tantrum.

Why is it that the people who know the least about football are always Maroney bashers? That's not to say that all Maroney bashers don't know anything, but posts like this are pretty much the first red flag you get that someone has nothing of any substance to contribute and should probably go right on my ignore list.

HAHAHA Too funny.

Take your toys and go home.

BTW, since you think you know so much. I'll put money down that your boy Maroney wont be a Pat next season.

Last edited:
Uh oh, I really want to reply to that but BradyFTW would not be happy and somebody taking his opportunity to pwn.:D

Go for it, eagle eye. Nothing that he said answered or countered my original points in any meaningful way. Just him continuing to wave the belligerent ignorance flag, and I already wasted enough time on him.

One thing I will say though is that I'll totally take that bet. Maroney will be a Patriot in 2010.

Last edited:
Go for it, eagle eye. Nothing that he said answered or countered my original points in any meaningful way. Just him continuing to wave the belligerent ignorance flag, and I already wasted enough time on him.

One thing I will say though is that I'll totally take that bet. Maroney will be a Patriot in 2010.

I think he means NEXT season...2011

I think he means NEXT season...2011

Of course Maroney won't be a Pat in 2011... because someone who can better utilize his talent will pay more for him than we're willing to. Because he's a good football player. Dunno how that proves anything about the topic at hand.

Youre wrong.

Who was the other good RB when Dillion/Faulk and Smith/Faulk were here? If youre going to tell me Patrick Pass or Heath Evans then you really dont have a clue.
He said 2+ you just named 2 in both seasons. The 2 right now are Maroney and Faulk. Belichick wants more than 2 but two is the very minimum.
Do you not understand that our system now is RB by committee, thats why Belichick wants 4 quality backs.
Regarding the Jets, it clearly obvious to knowledgeable fans why they drafted Greene? The Jets werent paying Jones 6 Mil for 1 season.

So they decided to fix the problem while he had a year left? Knowledgeable fans would know that a team will fix that problem if/when it arises.

Vs Denver 08. He buried his head and didnt dance throughout the other games. BenJarvus Green-Ellis 2008 Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com It wasnt a bad season.

BJGE showed a lot of promise in 08 and for whatever reason didnt have a strong 09. At least he wasnt a 1st round pick.

You say he showed a lot of promise in 2008, he played good in 2 games.
His stats were as follows Att. 74 Yds. 275 YPG. 3.7 TD 0
Those are jag numbers plain and simple. And those numbers are padded by his 5 ypg average in the 41-7 demolition of a pathetic Denver defense in a game where Sammy Morris looked like Chris Johnson running 16 times for 138 yards and a touchdown.
And get this, you say he was better in 2008 but his stats say he was better in 2009.

Just to clarify I like the guy but he is nothing more than decent for depth at the position.

So what. BB still benched him. Twice!

BB has never thrown a player under the bus by saying anything negative to the media. So your comments are meaningless. Now get all mad and throw a tantrum.

Show me proof that he was benched when healthy.
On his fumbles can you name for me good the RBs who don't ever fumble the ball?
Can you name for me 10 starting backs in the league right now who have less fumbles to carries than Laurence Maroney.

HAHAHA Too funny.

Take your toys and go home.

BTW, since you think you know so much. I'll put money down that your boy Maroney wont be a Pat next season.

How much do you want to put on this? I'm willing to bet on that but the money would have to escrowed.

I would trade him for a six pack of Newcastle beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back