PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Mankins to Chicago for Tommy Harris and a 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) 2012 3rd v. 2011 4th isn't a Mankins thread issue.

2.) The Patriots need starting quality offensive linemen more than the Patriots need 2011 4th round picks, because Neal is older and about to retire, Koppen's injuries have slowed him, Connolly isn't starting quality and Light is both aging and coming into free agency. Without Mankins, the Patriots have only 1 starting offensive lineman that can definitely be looked at as part of the starting O-line of the "future".

3.) Even if the team needed picks, Mankins is worth far more than a 2011 4th round pick, and the Patriots are better off spending their time trying to bring him back into the fold.

4.) The Patriots just coughed up a 4th in 2011 (the higher 4th, in fact) for Deion Branch. Mankins is a far better player than Branch.

5.) 2011 is expected to be a very shallow draft, thus potentially diluting the strength of the 4th round pick.

None of this makes the O.P. any better.

Ahhh ok you think Mankins is going to play for us this year. Understood. Are we sure it's Belichick going down the meth path?

I really wonder sometimes about fans in here...

We have a thread that continuously gets bumped up about Favre showing his junk to a woman on the internet but when we talk about a decent proposal of a trade to the Pats it gets flamed for not fitting it in another thread that has nothing to do with this story other than the player in question.

Maybe if the main forum would mainly consist of athletes who display thier ****s on the internet it would be a more happy and a place with no whining or complaints?

Last edited:

We have a thread that continuously gets bumped up about Favre showing his junk to a woman on the internet but when we talk about a decent proposal of a trade to the Pats it gets flamed for not fitting it in another thread that has nothing to do with this story other than the player in question.

Maybe if the main forum would mainly consist of athletes who display thier ****s on the internet it would be a more happy and a place with no whining or complaints?

You should have started a thread about Spikes!

Probably the gay Pats fans would be quite happy :)

Ha my bad man I felt like neither you or DI were adding anything to the conversation about why he's worth more than a fourth. I was trying to make a point that people here often forget about draft picks. Wasn't trying to be a douche. Both you and DI are ok by me.

No worries.. I didn't take it that way :)

bah................

Last edited:
I think Tommy Harris is very overrated!

But his overrated-ness is over shadowed by Jay Cutler's!

Tommie Harris absolutely blows.

do_not_want_cat.jpg

I also believe that patriots could have gotten much more than a 2011 4th.

That being said, what do you expect that we'll get for him after the trade deadline? Do expect him to play for us this year? Do you expect us to franchise him next year and then not use over $9M of cap money until he agrees to sign the tender?

The question is NOT whether Branch is a better play than Mankins. The question is how much value are the patriots going to get for Mankins. As of now, it seems that we MIGHT get a 2012 3rd, the equivalent of a 2011 4th, although I would not trade him for a 4th since this a shallow draft.

1.) 2012 3rd v. 2011 4th isn't a Mankins thread issue.

2.) The Patriots need starting quality offensive linemen more than the Patriots need 2011 4th round picks, because Neal is older and about to retire, Koppen's injuries have slowed him, Connolly isn't starting quality and Light is both aging and coming into free agency. Without Mankins, the Patriots have only 1 starting offensive lineman that can definitely be looked at as part of the starting O-line of the "future".

3.) Even if the team needed picks, Mankins is worth far more than a 2011 4th round pick, and the Patriots are better off spending their time trying to bring him back into the fold.

4.) The Patriots just coughed up a 4th in 2011 (the higher 4th, in fact) for Deion Branch. Mankins is a far better player than Branch.

5.) 2011 is expected to be a very shallow draft, thus potentially diluting the strength of the 4th round pick.

None of this makes the O.P. any better.

I also believe that patriots could have gotten much more than a 2011 4th.

That being said, what do you expect that we'll get for him after the trade deadline?

Compensatory pick, unless they franchise him.

Do expect him to play for us this year?

I expect him to sign the tender and join the team, since the NFLPA has, at least essentially, told him that doing so is in his best interest.

Do you expect us to franchise him next year and then not use over $9M of cap money until he agrees to sign the tender?

I'm trying not to expect much from this team, in terms of what the front office is doing. Since Pioli left, pretty much everything except the draft has been "interesting". The smart move would be to franchise Mankins, if necessary. Post-Pioli, this front office has been making a lot of moves that have not been in the "smart" category.

The question is NOT whether Branch is a better play than Mankins. The question is how much value are the patriots going to get for Mankins. As of now, it seems that we MIGHT get a 2012 3rd, the equivalent of a 2011 4th, although I would not trade him for a 4th since this a shallow draft.

I think that the question of return value is not a simple one to answer, because Mankins is in the driver's seat, for the most part.

Compensatory pick, unless they franchise him.

The equivalent value of a 2011 4th rd pick.

I expect him to sign the tender and join the team, since the NFLPA has, at least essentially, told him that doing so is in his best interest.
Do you expect him to play for us this year?

I'm trying not to expect much from this team, in terms of what the front office is doing. Since Pioli left, pretty much everything except the draft has been "interesting". The smart move would be to franchise Mankins, if necessary. Post-Pioli, this front office has been making a lot of moves that have not been in the "smart" category.
I will guarantee that if we franchise Mankins you will be one of the first to blast this FO for "not getting a deal done".

I think that the question of return value is not a simple one to answer, because Mankins is in the driver's seat, for the most part.
How so? It would seem that the "driver's seat" is at his ranch in Frenso and not playing football. Isn't that more like the passenger seat? If he had his druthers don't you think he'd be playing for a team right now?

Last edited:
All these threads & thoughts are bogus. Mankins is in control of where he would or would not go and for how much $. If there's info that Detroit AND Mankins want this then I'm all ears. There isn't so it's simply Favre jerking.

It's delusional

... just like brett was delusional to think jen wanted him ... so I altered your post for effect . :p

The equivalent value of a 2011 4th rd pick.

For "chart" purposes, it's generally even, but that's not the whole story. 2011 is supposed to be a shallow draft. Also, by keeping his rights, the Patriots keep the opportunity to work things out.

Do you expect him to play for us this year?

I don't know. What team do you play for?

I will guarantee that if we franchise Mankins you will be one of the first to blast this FO for "not getting a deal done".

If they have to franchise a guard at elite tackle prices because they screwed the pooch this year, of course I'll be blasting the front office. It would still be better than losing him for a 2011 4th, though.

How so? It would seem that the "driver's seat" is at his ranch in Frenso and not playing football. Isn't that more like the passenger seat? If he had his druthers don't you think he'd be playing for a team right now?

If he'd rather be playing, he'd have signed the tender and shown up at camp. He'd apparently rather not play than play under the conditions as he saw it.

For "chart" purposes, it's generally even, but that's not the whole story. 2011 is supposed to be a shallow draft. Also, by keeping his rights, the Patriots keep the opportunity to work things out.
Valid point on the depth of the draft. I'd imagine that he wouldn't be traded unless there was zero chance of working it out though.

I don't know. What team do you play for?
Come on man you know what I mean. I do not expect BB to put him in when he shows up. I could be wrong but thats my opinion. fwiw

If they have to franchise a guard at elite tackle prices because they screwed the pooch this year, of course I'll be blasting the front office. It would still be better than losing him for a 2011 4th, though.
What if they tried to sign him for LG money but he refused. IF that happened did we still screw the pooch?

If he'd rather be playing, he'd have signed the tender and shown up at camp. He'd apparently rather not play than play under the conditions as he saw it.
My point was that since he can not control those conditions he wouldn't be the one driving.

Obviously you cannot read....this was an idea brought up by a very reputable media member in Adam who knows a lot more about the game and what a decent trade would be for both sides than a forum member at patsfans who knows virtually nothing outside of TV and stat books

I like his idea

Schefter's opinion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Deus Irae's opinion

No wonder you get bashed more in here than a wife of Ike Turner

641.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back