PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Garoppolo to the Cowboys?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade Garoppolo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You cannot answer the question? Nothing in this thread has shown anything to suggest Garopollo is viewed differently by the team then Mallett. This thread is filled with blind hope by posters who want Garopollo to be the next great QB but they have nothing to add merit to it. Maybe Garopollo will be but right now nothing has been said or done to validate that belief.

No, nothing in the threads makes you want to view them differently. Big difference.

The team has given Garoppolo more playing time so far than Mallett ever got. That should tell you something.

I'm of the mind that it says more about Belichick and Brady than it does Garoppolo vs. Mallett.

But here is one set of incontrovertible stats:

Ryan Mallett (2013 pre): 42/76, 447 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 80.3 rating

Jimmy Garoppolo (2014 pre): 46/79, 618 yards, 5 TD, 1 INT, 99.0 rating
Jimmy Garoppolo (2014 reg): 9/10, 92 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 138.3 rating

No, nothing in the threads makes you want to view them differently. Big difference.
No there is nothing, otherwise you could point to it and clearly you can't because right now you're just spinning your tires. It is the flip side you want to think they are different so you view things in this thread that way. Like you said big difference.

The team has given Garoppolo more playing time so far than Mallett ever got. That should tell you something.

You should also note that First overall QBs has much lower success rate than you seem to believe. You really put way to much weight on where a player was picked in a draft. There is often a couple of players that goes much later then they should have. So far, with his actual play in the NFL, Garoppolo has made the case that he should have gone higher. He has looked like a QB that has potential to be good in the NFL.

You also continue with your theory that I say that he will replace Brady when Brady performs at the level of best QB of all time. I've never said that. I've said that it is unlikely that Brady will be at that level in 4 years. Just because someone replaces Brady does not mean that they have to be better than Prime Brady. Just like when the Vikings replaced Brett Favre they did not replace the prime Brett Favre. They replaced the declined Brett Favre.

Brett Favre is also a player you should look at for example of age. He had played 321 total games in a row when he started missing games his last season and performed sub par.

Brady and Favre are very different QBs. But it's an example of why "he never misses games" isn't a viable excuse when you go up in age.
The team really has not Garopollo has played in garbage time just like Mallett did in the past. Last season all of are games were close so Brady was in the entire way.

Still Favre was replaced when he chose to retire, nobody released him or pushed him out the door.

Right now Garopollo is here to replace Mallett as the backup, there is nothing to suggest anything other than that, he is not even in contract in 2018 which is when we would need a QB so suggesting he is the heir apparent to Brady is premature and ignores logistics.

The team really has not Garopollo has played in garbage time just like Mallett did in the past. Last season all of are games were close so Brady was in the entire way.

Still Favre was replaced when he chose to retire, nobody released him or pushed him out the door.

Right now Garopollo is here to replace Mallett as the backup, there is nothing to suggest anything other than that, he is not even in contract in 2018 which is when we would need a QB so suggesting he is the heir apparent to Brady is premature and ignores logistics.

Umm. . . . You do know that Favre was traded to the Jets after he un-retired? And that the Packers were already tired of his antics, and basically forced him to make a decision prior to the 2008 draft?

Umm. . . . You do know that Favre was traded to the Jets after he un-retired? And that the Packers were already tired of his antics, and basically forced him to make a decision prior to the 2008 draft?

He still retired and then came back. They had already moved on when he decided to unretire.

He still retired and then came back. They had already moved on when he decided to unretire.
The Packers would have shot him to keep him off the field that last year.

I was a big fan of Garopollo coming into the draft I only had Bortles and Carr ahead of him on my board. That said it was a poor QB class overall and I project Garopollo to be a solid starting caliber NFL QB. I do not think he has the size or arm strength to be an elite QB. Hackenberg is the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck in my opinion. I would not trade 4 first round picks for him and never said I would but I would trade 2. I am not ruling out Garopollo I just view as I did Mallett currently, a backup QB who could be a future trade asset. His contract makes it difficult to label him the heir apparent because currently he is not even signed when a heir apparent is needed.
The size thing is ridiculous. He's a full two inches taller than Drew Brees. His arm strength is perfectly fine. This is just looking for stuff to ***** about.

The size thing is ridiculous. He's a full two inches taller than Drew Brees. His arm strength is perfectly fine. This is just looking for stuff to ***** about.
Nobody is *****ing I'm giving you his scouting report concerns if you want ignore them and compare him to Drew Brees go ahead. This person bought a lottery ticket the other day at the store near my house and won $10M. Do you think I should go buy a ticket there too? After all one person did it so why can't I do it too?

Nobody is *****ing I'm giving you his scouting report concerns if you want ignore them and compare him to Drew Brees go ahead. This person bought a lottery ticket the other day at the store near my house and won $10M. Do you think I should go buy a ticket there too? After all one person did it so why can't I do it too?
I'm not comparing him to Drew Brees. He's much bigger than Drew Brees. That's why the notion that he's too small is fairly ridiculous. Not to mention that he hasn't seemed to have much trouble finding passing lines so far.

Sure, why not? ;)

I'm not saying you mortgage the house for lottery tickets, but $2 for the chance to win a million bucks seems better than $2 for a bag of Cheetos. Sure, the Cheetos are a sure thing and will make you feel great for a bit.

QB is by far the most important position on the field so you do whatever you can to get one and keep one. And if you hit on it, whether by skill or luck, it's worth more than a bunch of hits on the others.

Compare 2000 NFL drafts.

2000 Patriots: Adrian Klemm, JR Redmond, Greg Robinson-Randall, Tom Brady, Patrick Pass

VS.

2000 Jets: Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, Anthony Becht, Laveranues Coles

The Jets actually killed that draft...but which draft class had the most impact on the franchise?

QB is everything. If you have a guy with some upside, it'd be crazy to give it away for an asset with little upside.

I'm not comparing him to Drew Brees. He's much bigger than Drew Brees. That's why the notion that he's too small is fairly ridiculous. Not to mention that he hasn't seemed to have much trouble finding passing lines so far.
Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are anomalies. Just because Brees was able to overcome being undersized does not mean Garopollo will. Whether or not other players have done it is irrelevant Garopollo is still an undersized QB by NFL standards.

In regards to him finding people, half of his passing yards came on a pass behind the line of scrimmage to LaFell that he broke for a long gain. You are basing this entire finding people on 10 passes in garbage time. Did you attend any training camp practices this summer?

Sure, why not? ;)

I'm not saying you mortgage the house for lottery tickets, but $2 for the chance to win a million bucks seems better than $2 for a bag of Cheetos. Sure, the Cheetos are a sure thing and will make you feel great for a bit.

QB is by far the most important position on the field so you do whatever you can to get one and keep one. And if you hit on it, whether by skill or luck, it's worth more than a bunch of hits on the others.

Compare 2000 NFL drafts.

2000 Patriots: Adrian Klemm, JR Redmond, Greg Robinson-Randall, Tom Brady, Patrick Pass

VS.

2000 Jets: Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, Anthony Becht, Laveranues Coles

The Jets actually killed that draft...but which draft class had the most impact on the franchise?

QB is everything. If you have a guy with some upside, it'd be crazy to give it away for an asset with little upside.
Nobody is giving it away for a player with limited upside. I would trade him for Zach Martin who is a franchise OG with tons of upside.

Let me explain this so it is clear and there is no confusion. This team has a franchise QB under contract until the end of 2017-18 named Tom Brady. Jimmy Garopollo will not be under contract with this team no longer has a franchise QB. I am not sure what part of that many of you are overlooking but predicting a player is the heir apparent when he is not even under contract when an heir apparent will be needed is absolutely illogical.

Ride Brady as long as possible, but keep Gropp. To date, IMHO, he's the best QB Belichick has come up with.

Well, second best. :)

Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are anomalies. Just because Brees was able to overcome being undersized does not mean Garopollo will. Whether or not other players have done it is irrelevant Garopollo is still an undersized QB by NFL standards.

In regards to him finding people, half of his passing yards came on a pass behind the line of scrimmage to LaFell that he broke for a long gain. You are basing this entire finding people on 10 passes in garbage time. Did you attend any training camp practices this summer?
Once again, quite predictably, you fail to recognize that Garoppolo is taller than both Wilson and Drew Brees.

We get it. You hate Garoppolo because if he's good then that could mean an earlier end of the Brady era then you want. You would hate absolutely any QB in that situation. Before you go on your rant about how he has to be the best QB of all time to replace Brady. If Garoppolo looks like a franchise QB in 4 years (This is to remind you that the coaches are allowed to see him in practise and in pre season and kind of knows what they have in him) then the logical thing would be to resign him instead of Brady. Because he would be 26 years old(not 28) in his fifth season, Brady would be 41 by then.

Last edited:
Once again, quite predictably, you fail to recognize that Garoppolo is taller than both Wilson and Drew Brees.

We get it. You hate Garoppolo because if he's good then that could mean an earlier end of the Brady era then you want. You would hate absolutely any QB in that situation. Before you go on your rant about how he has to be the best QB of all time to replace Brady. If Garoppolo looks like a franchise QB in 4 years (This is to remind you that the coaches are allowed to see him in practise and in pre season and kind of knows what they have in him) then the logical thing would be to resign him instead of Brady. Because he would be 26 years old(not 28) in his fifth season, Brady would be 41 by then.
HAHA you sound like a 13 year old girl right now who is mad that I said something bad about Justin Bieber. No I don't hate Garopollo I was actually a huge advocate of his predraft, you should go through the draft forum and see for yourself. I just think it is idiotic to even discuss Garopollo in the same sentence as Brady, Brees, Wilson, or any of the other upper echelon QBs in the NFL because he is so far from being in that class it is ridiculous and the odds that he ever reaches that level (like all QBs who enter the NFL) is in the 1-2%. You post like he has earned the right to be held in high regard and he has not, he is a late second round pick who has shown some promise and has some upside. Aaron Dobson was an earlier pick then Garopollo and showed promise as a rookie, how has that worked out? Tavon Wilson showed some promise as a rookie and was taken 15 picks earlier then Garopollo, how has that worked out? You are so ****ing premature with your ejaculation over Garopollo it is absurd. It is an absolute joke in fact. Do you know how many players have shown promise in the preseason or garbage time and then we're off the team in a few years in the past decade? Could Garopollo be a good QB sure he could, he is a hard working talented kid who has a great quick release but talking about him in the context you and others have in this thread is foolish.

Also grab a calendar and do your math again on the age. Garopollo will be 27 turning 28 in 2018-19. He also is not under contract for 2018-19 just a reminder.....

HAHA you sound like a 13 year old girl right now who is mad that I said something bad about Justin Bieber. No I don't hate Garopollo I was actually a huge advocate of his predraft, you should go through the draft forum and see for yourself. I just think it is idiotic to even discuss Garopollo in the same sentence as Brady, Brees, Wilson, or any of the other upper echelon QBs in the NFL because he is so far from being in that class it is ridiculous and the odds that he ever reaches that level (like all QBs who enter the NFL) is in the 1-2%. You post like he has earned the right to be held in high regard and he has not, he is a late second round pick who has shown some promise and has some upside. Aaron Dobson was an earlier pick then Garopollo and showed promise as a rookie, how has that worked out? Tavon Wilson showed some promise as a rookie and was taken 15 picks earlier then Garopollo, how has that worked out? You are so ****ing premature with your ejaculation over Garopollo it is absurd. It is an absolute joke in fact. Do you know how many players have shown promise in the preseason or garbage time and then we're off the team in a few years in the past decade? Could Garopollo be a good QB sure he could, he is a hard working talented kid who has a great quick release but talking about him in the context you and others have in this thread is foolish.
I haven't said that Garoppolo is the greatest thing ever. I've said that he has shown potential. With QB being the absolute most important position on the field, and our current QB being 37 years old, his potential, once again potential, has made me intrigued enough with him that I would not trade him for a guard, however good that guard might be. Because a good QB is worth much more than a guard. I've also said that if he is good in 4 years then we should sign him for a longer contract. That's all I've been saying.

Nobody said that he was Brees or Wilson. They said he was taller than them. He's 5cm taller than Brees. So he's not that short. But you continue to think that people say that he will be Drew Brees.

One more thing I know the players heights and know he is taller but he is still undersized by NFL standards. Getting into a debate over who knows more about football is not something you would be wise to do with me, trust that my friend..

I haven't said that Garoppolo is the greatest thing ever. I've said that he has shown potential. With QB being the absolute most important position on the field, and our current QB being 37 years old, his potential, once again potential, has made me intrigued enough with him that I would not trade him for a guard, however good that guard might be. Because a good QB is worth much more than a guard. I've also said that if he is good in 4 years then we should sign him for a longer contract. That's all I've been saying.

Nobody said that he was Brees or Wilson. They said he was taller than them. He's 5cm taller than Brees. So he's not that short. But you continue to think that people say that he will be Drew Brees.
He is undersized. The key factor is he is not in contract when Brady is likely to no longer be here so this heir apparent talk lacks logic. That is my entire point, nobody seems to be able to understand that.

He is undersized. The key factor is he is not in contract when Brady is likely to no longer be here so this heir apparent talk lacks logic. That is my entire point, nobody seems to be able to understand that.
I understand that. But as I've said. The coaches see him each and every day in practise. Then they have the pre season games. In 4 years they will probably have a good idea of what they have in him. It's not like they would have no idea what hey have in him.

He's not as undersized as you make him out to be. He's taller than both Brees and Wilson. He's just as tall as Rodgers and Romo. I just don't see it as a problem for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back