PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Garoppolo to the Cowboys?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade Garoppolo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
HAHA you sound like a 13 year old girl right now who is mad that I said something bad about Justin Bieber.

You honestly should be the LAST person saying this after the way you've acted in this thread. You are nearly foaming at the mouth over anybody even contemplating the idea that Garoppolo could be the future QB of this team. As if Brady is going to still be playing in 10 years. I'd rather have a Good QB at 28 than a bust at 23. If he is good enough to take over then so be it. Stop freaking out just because people want to believe in him.

You honestly should be the LAST person saying this after the way you've acted in this thread. You are nearly foaming at the mouth over anybody even contemplating the idea that Garoppolo could be the future QB of this team. As if Brady is going to still be playing in 10 years. I'd rather have a Good QB at 28 than a bust at 23. If he is good enough to take over then so be it. Stop freaking out just because people want to believe in him.
I don't care if people want to believe in him I just want people to understand that in order to be the next QB of the Patriots he would have to be under contract when Brady is no longer here, and right now the way the contracts align he is not. Until one of the believers explains to me how he contracts are going to play out and the terms I am not going to find anything they say creditable.

I don't care if people want to believe in him I just want people to understand that in order to be the next QB of the Patriots he would have to be under contract when Brady is no longer here, and right now the way the contracts align he is not. Until one of the believers explains to me how he contracts are going to play out and the terms I am not going to find anything they say creditable.

What you say makes a lot of sense, B6, but I'm assuming that those decisions won't be made for a couple/few years down the line.

In other words, the choice to re-up Brady to one last deal and/or to re-sign JG will be made at a much more appropriate time.

One thing that some of us may assume is that we'll get a good feeling one way or another about how they feel re: JG's potential here when they do/don't go after anyone else in a couple years' time.

Nobody is giving it away for a player with limited upside. I would trade him for Zach Martin who is a franchise OG with tons of upside.

Let me explain this so it is clear and there is no confusion. This team has a franchise QB under contract until the end of 2017-18 named Tom Brady. Jimmy Garopollo will not be under contract with this team no longer has a franchise QB. I am not sure what part of that many of you are overlooking but predicting a player is the heir apparent when he is not even under contract when an heir apparent will be needed is absolutely illogical.

A franchise guard can't impact the game a way a franchise QB can. The Bucs signed Carl Nicks a few years ago and it didn't really help. So now they trade for Mankins and they still suck. Both of those guys go beyond just upside; they actually realized their talent and still didn't push the needle towards competitiveness.

I understand where you are coming from, but the part you are overlooking is that very little is guaranteed in the NFL, especially contracts. There's absolutely, positively, no way either of us can be certain on what will happen over the next year or two. Nobody ever saw Manning leaving the Colts but one injury and one terrible coach later, the re-build was on.

And Patriots fans should know better than anyone how nothing is guaranteed. We gave Bledsoe a record contract and then sent him packing a year later.

I hope Brady retires as a Patriot when he wants to, but neither you or I can guarantee what will happen in the next few years.

Just ask this cowboys fan: Trashes his house after loss to Redskins.

Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are anomalies. Just because Brees was able to overcome being undersized does not mean Garopollo will. Whether or not other players have done it is irrelevant Garopollo is still an undersized QB by NFL standards.

In regards to him finding people, half of his passing yards came on a pass behind the line of scrimmage to LaFell that he broke for a long gain. You are basing this entire finding people on 10 passes in garbage time. Did you attend any training camp practices this summer?

The AVERAGE height of 214 NFL QBs with a minimum of 1000 regular season passing attempts is 74.6 inches or 6 2.5. He is not an anomaly. And no, I'm including preseason. Unless you somehow think that all the defensive players magically got taller once the regular season started.

A franchise guard can't impact the game a way a franchise QB can. The Bucs signed Carl Nicks a few years ago and it didn't really help. So now they trade for Mankins and they still suck. Both of those guys go beyond just upside; they actually realized their talent and still didn't push the needle towards competitiveness.

I understand where you are coming from, but the part you are overlooking is that very little is guaranteed in the NFL, especially contracts. There's absolutely, positively, no way either of us can be certain on what will happen over the next year or two. Nobody ever saw Manning leaving the Colts but one injury and one terrible coach later, the re-build was on.

And Patriots fans should know better than anyone how nothing is guaranteed. We gave Bledsoe a record contract and then sent him packing a year later.

I hope Brady retires as a Patriot when he wants to, but neither you or I can guarantee what will happen in the next few years.
It is my is my understanding that Brady is essentially impossible to cut or trade if he is on the roster at the start of the new league year because his cap hits are so large in 2016 and 2017.

Garopollo at best will be a solid NFL starter, unless he dramatically improved his arm strength. He does not have the arm to be a franchise QB.

The AVERAGE height of 214 NFL QBs with a minimum of 1000 regular season passing attempts is 74.6 inches or 6 2.5. He is not an anomaly. And no, I'm including preseason. Unless you somehow think that all the defensive players magically got taller once the regular season started.
I think you need to look at more than height. Garopollo has very short arms and even smaller hands. He is undersized, read the scouting reports it was said by every scout no exceptions.

The trade deadline is over. How/Why does this thread still have legs?

I think you need to look at more than height. Garopollo has very short arms and even smaller hands. He is undersized, read the scouting reports it was said by every scout no exceptions.
You know, instead of pouring over old scouting reports, maybe you could, like, you know, watch the games?

I understand you're desperately invested in your boy, but really, you're just being silly. One minute you're all "I was high on him in the draft", the next he's a midget so small he can't even hold a football. Let's see....one scouting report says he's a 'tad undersized'. Well that's pretty damning. Another doesn't mention his size at all but notes he "displayed a strong arm and superb throwing motion". A third says "Is built well at 6’2”, 226 " and "Upper-half throwing mechanics are very good, has a compact delivery. Possesses an adequate NFL arm, spins a nice ball. Can drive the ball with enough velocity. Capable of dropping the ball into a bucket up to 45 yards downfield."

Yeah, clearly a midget with a weak arm.

Just ask this cowboys fan: Trashes his house after loss to Redskins.

What kind of contraption is he watching the game on? It's so bulky and square and weird looking.

Garopollo at best will be a solid NFL starter, unless he dramatically improved his arm strength. He does not have the arm to be a franchise QB.

Dude, are you serious? Grop has thrown the ball just fine so far, what are you making this determination on?

You know, instead of pouring over old scouting reports, maybe you could, like, you know, watch the games?

I understand you're desperately invested in your boy, but really, you're just being silly. One minute you're all "I was high on him in the draft", the next he's a midget so small he can't even hold a football. Let's see....one scouting report says he's a 'tad undersized'. Well that's pretty damning. Another doesn't mention his size at all but notes he "displayed a strong arm and superb throwing motion". A third says "Is built well at 6’2”, 226 " and "Upper-half throwing mechanics are very good, has a compact delivery. Possesses an adequate NFL arm, spins a nice ball. Can drive the ball with enough velocity. Capable of dropping the ball into a bucket up to 45 yards downfield."

No pressure there. Egad.:eek:

Imagine if his kid wants to become a welder or run a Landscape Company. Oh, the horrors!

It is my is my understanding that Brady is essentially impossible to cut or trade if he is on the roster at the start of the new league year because his cap hits are so large in 2016 and 2017.

The cap hits are large, but as Miguel outlines in the link below, there are some scenarios where there would be a cap savings if Brady's play declined and we decided to move on.

http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=876

As for Jimmy, even when a scouting report is correct, players can develop and overcome. Don't forget Tom's original scouting report:

Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a really strong arm.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-brady-the-winner/

I'm not suggesting JG is the next Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers. But he's not even halfway through his rookie season and there's no way you or I or BB or Jimmy can possibly know what he'll become.

Alex Smith has 8 inches ......

hands ... 8" hands ... which are small for a 6'4" QB.

Aladdin has 9"1/4 hands ..........

Last edited:

It is nearly impossible to cut Brady this year or in 2015, but it is not impossible to trade him, especially in 2016 and 2017. Even guaranteed salaries drop off the cap when a player is traded.

And in 2017 there is essentially no difference, in terms of salary cap, between cutting him and trading him.

Bless your hearts, Rochrist and Marinlik. You are better men than I.

You know I cannot stand when posters take a regular discussion and become emotionally involved in it and start using phrases like "your boy" and **** like that. It just shows a lack of rationality and show immaturity, so if that is the approach you are going to take don't quote my posts. If you are going to quote my posts act your age and stop becoming an emotional train wreck because you do not like what I'm saying.

I watch every game and his college tape. Listen you are not an insightful football fan so everything you say is unsupported and based on an opinion, everything I say is based on data and extensive tape. The reality is the likelihood that my position on Garopollo transpiring is about 98% and the likelihood that your position transpires is at best 2%. You can keep talking in circles but you are still going to have at best a 2% chance at being right. Good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back