PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade a first rounder for Deion Branch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll never see Deion back here as long as BB is in charge. I think there's a good chance Givens returns, but Deion burned his bridges.

Maybe, but I thought the same thing about Ty Law what with that "liar" stuff and all, but apparently BB was more than willing to forgive and forget to get Law back this year.

I think a lot of you guys are being very unrealistic. First of all, you cannot judge DB's worth by his output this year. He is in a brand new system and wasn't even in camp to learn the system. He was playing cold turkey. That's tough for any WR.

Second, Darrel Jackson's contract is coming to an end. He is a health risk and will require more than Seattle wants to pay. I am sure the thought is that DB can take his place.

Third, some QB called another QB about how good DB was. Who was that again?

Yes, I have posted these ideas b4, but you cannot judge the trade over the present info. Try again in 5 years when we have our draft pic in full motion.

So you're saying we shouldn't judge receivers in a brand new system, especially if they missed much of training camp?

Interesting. Why does that sound familiar?

Would I trade a first round pick for an established WR (with a Superbowl MVP trophy) who knows my offense and QB better than any other receiver on the planet, ....

He was certainly worth more to us than to the Seahawks.

Hell no, branch burned his bridge, he can enjoy himself in seattle's mediocrity.

I love seeing the Caldwell vs Branch comparisons :rofl:

I would have taken the deal at any time during the season given that Seattle eats the dead money. Whether you feel the same or not, I think we will all have to wait until late April to see what we get out of the extra pic. Do we finally land that defensive stud that isn't a lineman? Do we replace DB with a better receiver? For me it depends on how we do in the draft. If we use the pic on a TE or a lineman on either side of the ball I'll be friggin pissed.

I don't think Branch was worth a first rounder though they no doubt anticipated it being a very late first rounder. It's hard to fairly evaluate Branch's contribution to Seattle given that lots of the offense has been injured a good bit of this year. To this point, I'd say it hasn't been a great trade for either team. I really think the Pats would be a better team with Branch. In the long run, this sets the Pats up with an opportunity to bring in two first rounders who can potentially help them for the next several years.

So you're saying we shouldn't judge receivers in a brand new system, especially if they missed much of training camp?

Interesting. Why does that sound familiar?

I don't had a problem with your point Ray, however the talent level for the Pats is questionalble I havn't come down hard on CJ either.

Well, there were a lot of "getting Branch puts Seattle over the top" stories when it was made. No proof he was a system receiver? Isn't that what a lot of critics were saying of Branch when he wanted to be paid as one of the top wideouts in football? Prove to me he is a top flight receiver and that, considering the hazy state of Seattle's WRs last fall coming off a Super Bowl year, that he wasn't brought in to win this year. Go for it.

Giving him that much money and their first rounder is absolutely laughable for a guy like Meion.

You have yet to mak a factual point. I asked you to provide facts that support your theory and all you can do is turn around and tell me to disprove it. That is garbage. Stop blowing steam with no factual basis. It's ok to have an opinion. All you have stated is pure conjecture. Very failed logic avoiding factual information.

Would I trade a first round pick for an established WR (with a Superbowl MVP trophy) who knows my offense and QB better than any other receiver on the planet, and whose $39M contract included a $12M signing bonus that would remain the dead cap responsibility of the trading team leaving me with 5 years of Deion at around $25M in salary only that could be converted to lower his cap hits or enable the team to cut him at will?

Good point about the bonus money. That would definitely be a deal breaker for Seattle.

My take is that Seattle really likes Branch and he will probably be their No. 1 receiver in the future, but giving up their first round draft pick for him was a definite gamble they took hoping that he would be enough to get them over the top this year. This move was not about the future.

Would I trade a first round pick for an established WR (with a Superbowl MVP trophy) who knows my offense and QB better than any other receiver on the planet, and whose $39M contract included a $12M signing bonus that would remain the dead cap responsibility of the trading team leaving me with 5 years of Deion at around $25M in salary only that could be converted to lower his cap hits or enable the team to cut him at will?

Thet's a no brainer and I'm not stupid - and neither is BB. Unfortunately Holmgren and Co. would never make that trade which would involve their admitting they made an expensive mistake and cost them $10M in dead cap just to recoup their first round.

Remember Bill's admonition that what a player does in another system doesn't mean anything. It's what he can do in this system, and in this system Deion was a #1 WR Bill was fully willing to pay $5M per year to retain.
I don't see it as a no brainer...why would any team WANT a player that obviously doesn't wish to be with the team??? THAT is a no brainer...that simple..NO! ANd I rthink the Pats have moved past him..as the fans have as well. No way..

I don't see it as a no brainer...why would any team WANT a player that obviously doesn't wish to be with the team??? THAT is a no brainer...that simple..NO! ANd I rthink the Pats have moved past him..as the fans have as well. No way..

The question was would you make that deal. Believe me, BB would. He doesn't confuse what's said and done in business and with what players can do for him on a football field. And as for Deion not wanting to be here, that's not true - he just wanted his money first and foremost. His core teamates all lauded him as the kind of player this team dreams about - his only shortcoming (no pun intended) was he wanted his money and he wanted it now and he wanted a little more than he was realistically worth. But at $5M per year make no mistake about it, they wanted him.

The Pats won't move past him until they find another #1 or win without one.

The question was would you make that deal. Believe me, BB would. He doesn't confuse what's said and done in business and with what players can do for him on a football field. And as for Deion not wanting to be here, that's not true - he just wanted his money first and foremost. His core teamates all lauded him as the kind of player this team dreams about - his only shortcoming (no pun intended) was he wanted his money and he wanted it now and he wanted a little more than he was realistically worth. But at $5M per year make no mistake about it, they wanted him.

I'd trade next year's Patriot's #1 for him. There is no signing bonus and they would have him for 5 years for $5 mil.

It was a miracle they got a #1 for him.

Why would they want him back?

There are two parts to a trading for a player. 1) how good he is 2) the contract he has.

Deion has a very high priced contract, even w/o the signing bonus. It's the type of contract that you'd have to give a FA with his talent. But you don't have to give up draft picks for a FA. BB likes draft picks alot, good player, LOW price. A #1 for Deion? Crazy.

What did Branch ever do to give ANY indication he wanted to play here?? Please tell me?? It'll be hard because he did NOTHING at all to indicate he ever wanted to play a game here again EVER!! Did he ngotiuate in good faith? you can keep saying he wanted his money again and again..BUT why didn't he and his agent counter the offer?? What did his agent only words were he would come to camp IF a Franchise tag was NOT placed on him?? THAt would have given him HIS money AND kept him here...so OBVIOUSLY DB did NOT want any part of this team. Let's see...sitting out of camp/? That really indicates you wish to play...even staying away from teh team's charity event..Hmmm again NO indication he ever wanted to play here again. I am glad u are speaking for BB..for I doubt he wants one who will be a pain in the neck in any negotiations like Branch was. Maybe given a set hnumber of tears already locked up, obviously he would. I think all fans wanted Branch to stay here as did the players. But it was NOT just about the money..he wanted that last year gone totally and he would NOT but he an inch. So his unwillingness to negotiate put him in a position where the oNLY solution was a trade. Please don't try to change history and what Branch did and did not do. It was obvious to me he wanted out and he got his wish and the money as well. The Patriots HAVE moved on and they would NEVER let a player hold them up as Branch tried to do. Did I hope Branch get signed?? Of course, but after the hold out and pitiful show of bad faith, trade was really the only option.

Right now the the Pats would give back the 1st rounder to the Seahawks for 2 reasons. 1) They have the cap space; 2) They are 1 very good WR (who needs to be double-teamed) away from putting themselves in position to be be extremely competitive in the upcoming playoffs.

Yes, I have posted these ideas b4, but you cannot judge the trade over the present info. Try again in 5 years when we have our draft pic in full motion.
This isn't right. Deion for a first as a good trade or bad trade has nothing to do with what the pick does.

Either Deion is worth a number one PICK or he isn't. Making it dependant on how the pick does and you are judging not on Deion but on the abilities of the man making the pick, and on the abilities of another player, the guy who was picked.

Would you give a first round pick to the Jets for Hank Poteat? What if you did and the guy the Jets picked was more worthless than Chris Canty? We would have the better of the deal (Hank would be better than cutting a first round pick and swallowing the cap hit), so would you say that giving a first round pick for Hank was a good trade? Of course not. It has nothing to do with whether the pick was a bust. Well, neither can you take what we get for Deion into consideration when deciding if losing him was worth getting a first round pick.

Not that any of this matters with the talking heads on TV, or the clicking keyboards on the internet. Logic will go out the window, and the smartness/dumbness of the trade will be forever linked to how Deion does in Seattle (meaningless, it is how he did for us that matters) and how the guy we got for Deion does (even more meaningless).

This isn't right. Deion for a first as a good trade or bad trade has nothing to do with what the pick does.

Either Deion is worth a number one PICK or he isn't. Making it dependant on how the pick does and you are judging not on Deion but on the abilities of the man making the pick, and on the abilities of another player, the guy who was picked.

Would you give a first round pick to the Jets for Hank Poteat? What if you did and the guy the Jets picked was more worthless than Chris Canty? We would have the better of the deal (Hank would be better than cutting a first round pick and swallowing the cap hit), so would you say that giving a first round pick for Hank was a good trade? Of course not. It has nothing to do with whether the pick was a bust. Well, neither can you take what we get for Deion into consideration when deciding if losing him was worth getting a first round pick.

Not that any of this matters with the talking heads on TV, or the clicking keyboards on the internet. Logic will go out the window, and the smartness/dumbness of the trade will be forever linked to how Deion does in Seattle (meaningless, it is how he did for us that matters) and how the guy we got for Deion does (even more meaningless).

Point well taken if you are viewing the pick that way. I am viewing the outcome of the trade. Realistically whether DB is worth a first will no be answered today. If we step forward the trade will be evaluated upon what our pic does in the future. If we use the pic to get the next Ty Law the trade will always be thought of as Dieon for New Ty not Dieon for a #1.

What did Branch ever do to give ANY indication he wanted to play here?? Please tell me?? It'll be hard because he did NOTHING at all to indicate he ever wanted to play a game here again EVER!! Did he ngotiuate in good faith? you can keep saying he wanted his money again and again..BUT why didn't he and his agent counter the offer?? What did his agent only words were he would come to camp IF a Franchise tag was NOT placed on him?? THAt would have given him HIS money AND kept him here...so OBVIOUSLY DB did NOT want any part of this team. Let's see...sitting out of camp/? That really indicates you wish to play...even staying away from teh team's charity event..Hmmm again NO indication he ever wanted to play here again. I am glad u are speaking for BB..for I doubt he wants one who will be a pain in the neck in any negotiations like Branch was. Maybe given a set hnumber of tears already locked up, obviously he would. I think all fans wanted Branch to stay here as did the players. But it was NOT just about the money..he wanted that last year gone totally and he would NOT but he an inch. So his unwillingness to negotiate put him in a position where the oNLY solution was a trade. Please don't try to change history and what Branch did and did not do. It was obvious to me he wanted out and he got his wish and the money as well. The Patriots HAVE moved on and they would NEVER let a player hold them up as Branch tried to do. Did I hope Branch get signed?? Of course, but after the hold out and pitiful show of bad faith, trade was really the only option.

He wanted the money now is he wanted the last year of his rookie deal torn up. Had we done that he would have gladly stayed here because it was a comfort zone. That is why he held out and why he didn't counter save the admonition to take the franchise tag off the table. But that is all moot because BB STILL WANTED HIM after all that AT A PRICE. In fact, there is reason to believe he even wanted him after the team gave him that find a trading partner ultimatum - on his terms at his price, provided his agent wasn't part of the final negotiations.

BB could care less about all the histrionics that accompany a difficult negotiation. Ty Law should have taught you that. All he cares about is fielding a team of players who can play within this system and help him win championships, and at $5M per Deion could do that quite nicely here. It won't even be discussed in reality though because it is such a one sided deal not in the Seahawks favor.

He wanted the money now is he wanted the last year of his rookie deal torn up. Had we done that he would have gladly stayed here because it was a comfort zone. That is why he held out and why he didn't counter save the admonition to take the franchise tag off the table. But that is all moot because BB STILL WANTED HIM after all that AT A PRICE. In fact, there is reason to believe he even wanted him after the team gave him that find a trading partner ultimatum - on his terms at his price, provided his agent wasn't part of the final negotiations.

BB could care less about all the histrionics that accompany a difficult negotiation. Ty Law should have taught you that. All he cares about is fielding a team of players who can play within this system and help him win championships, and at $5M per Deion could do that quite nicely here. It won't even be discussed in reality though because it is such a one sided deal not in the Seahawks favor.
yes THAt was what he wanted...abnd the Patriots did NOT budge. But wanting that is NOT in anyway wanting to be part of the team. Can you tell me ONE thing that Branch did to indicate he wished to stay with the Patriiots?
His actions indicated he wanted out...plain and simple. I think it is VERY presumptuous of you to keep saying what BB wants etc etc..you are NOT him and can NOT speak for him--get a grip. Did Ty Law stay away from teh chairty event?? Or hold out as Branch did? The answer is NO..so to compare one with the other is hardly reality. I think your point of how BB WANTED Branch so much and the fact that it did NOT happen is more indicative of how much Branch wanted out. Why then is Branch not here then..if BB wanted him so much??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back