PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade #22 for Miles Austin or Vincent Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not just the pick. It is also the huge financial commitment that goes with it. And it will need to be big or else you traded a #1 for a 1 yr rental and that is a terrible idea.

A #1 pick plus an enormous contract for Austin seems like a stretch for a guy who has had 12 good weeks as a pro.

It seems right for Vincent Jackson the player. Unfortunately, the risks created by his off the field issues make it too much to give up. He has 2 DUI convictions. One of his DUIs was the week of 2009 playoff loss to Pittsburgh. He has a 3rd arrest that took place the day of this year's playoff loss. He is likely to be suspended a couple games at the start of the 2010 season and you can expect any additional infractions to result in more than a couple games. It is very risky to have a guy like that taking up a large portion of your cap which he would be when he got an extension after this year.

It's a nice dream, but the Pats don't need a young stud receiver.

They need a few reliable options. Brady is the linchpin, not a wide out. He's at his best when HE can dissect the defense. He needs multiple go-to guys. Obviously, a stud would be great, but getting one grade-A+ receiver would not improve the spread offense as much as getting two B+ options.

But you've got to think about it from the perspective of the team you're trading with too. They wouldn't have the time to research who they'd pick to replace the guy they're trading away if you 'pop them the question' on draft day. You need to initiate the trade talks now or pretty soon if you want to get it done. Randy Moss looks like a goner after 2010, so getting a young stud replacement in place is actually a pretty big need.

What are the odds of a true stud fit for this defense still being available by pick #22? Consider the risks of waiting to see who is left over vs getting a proven stud offensive player now.

Good point, but they could also research who they would take with the 22, knowing that the Pats were willing to trade as long as someone like Kindle wasn't available (I don't know anything about college, I've just heard that Kindle is the sort of player we'd be looking for...). Lots of teams do that kind of conditional analysis.

I'll take one of those 2, they are Proven VG players that are YOUNG, and our WR corp is either old or beatup(I'm not including the sucky)...........
I think I'd prefer to get a stud DE, but...........

There's no way Jerry Jones would take a No. 22 overall for Austin. He is completely obsessed with him as a player.

I watch the Cowboys a lot and I think that Miles Austin is a little overrated. He's has the numbers but a lot of his yards and TD's were from screen passes, very short routes (which turned into big gains which is great) and gadget plays. I didn't see him run too many routes so I don't know how good of a route runner he really is. If I had to chose between the two, I'd take Jackson.

No. Bring in a viable WR3 like a Curtis, T.O., Lance Moore, or Josh Reed and then use the Oakland first rounder next year to draft either A.J. Green or Julio Jones to replace Moss.

No. Bring in a viable WR3 like a Curtis, T.O., Lance Moore, or Josh Reed and then use the Oakland first rounder next year to draft either A.J. Green or Julio Jones to replace Moss.

I wonder if Shanny takes a Draft pick for Santana Moss? It would make sense and he is on his final contract year. He is 30 and had 70 receptions from a weak passing game last year.
DW Toys

I would think Moss would be a VG player here, Deion #2 like.
Problem is he has alot of games that he does jack sht, is that the playcalling, the lousy QB, or is he a slug?
He has talent that's for sure, I'm just not certain what the issue is.......I DO think his QB sux.

He hasn't played in an offense like the Pats though.

Last edited:
Austin needs a contract.....

'
TFB needs a contract.

Welker will need contact if back to where he was...

these 3 players will command a big payday.....No room for Austin

Last edited:
No. We need to move away from being a team whos identity, heaviest expense and focus are on the pass offense.

It's a really tough call, but I would probably part with it for Austin. Having the 3 second-round picks in a deep draft helps, especially with the likelihood that one of those picks would end up being spent on a WR anyways.

Jackson's probably more talented, but comes with some baggage.

Umm yes and qiuckly too

Vincent may be the best wideout in the league, I unlike others believe wr is a top priority for the pats, b/c in today's NFL it's all about offense so that's wut I want to improve not defense the defense

and miles would accept a 6-7 mill/ yr contact, and Jackson a 7-8 mill/ yr which is expensive but not if ur a num 1 wr and next yr well have two of those if this were to happen

Of the 2 I think I'm a Jackson fan first, although both would be fun.

One has accomplished less than a whole season of elite receiver play, and the other will be suspended this season and may face future consequences if he doesn't change his ways. I'm not interested.

This is a passing league with rules designed by Bill Polian to help passing teams. I would absolutely investigate a contract for Vincent Jackson provided it was a 4-5 year deal. I'd investigate a contract for Lance Moore provided it was a 3 year contract.

The Patriots are now a passing team. The Patriots have been a passing team for a while. If Tom Brady is our greatest asset, you don't put mud around him. You put quality around him.

I'm a huge fan of a healthy Lance Moore.
Maybe your not..... ahhhhhh forget it it...I'd be wrong.

And yet you've advocated spending a 1st round pick on an unproven Demaryius Thomas?

These guys are proven NFL studs and they are young, 25 and 26 respectively.

We've had some pretty decent receivers come here only to find they can't grasp this scheme. Success in another system is almost meaningless. Can they catch the ball, yeah. Do they get seperation quickly? Do they run precise routes? Are they even asked to?? Can they read defenses? Are they asked to make adjustments post snap beyond going into fire drill mode?

These guys were drafted (or not) once, too. And developed in another system. And they weren't successful overnight. Are they the kind of players who take coaching well and are willing to re-think everything they ever knew even as they have already had success doing it in ways they are already comfortable with??

Austen isn't really even available as Jones has indicated he will be retained at any cost. And no one is using poison pills this season to end around tenders.

What happens if you sign one of these guys to a 5 year $35M+ deal and he regresses in a totally new and different system...or in possession of newfound millions. You're screwed is what happens, not just on the field but financially for a couple of seasons to come.

You're better off doing what they seem to be trying to do, reel in a guy like Reed, continue to develop Edleman, see how Tate is developing, look for another player to develop in the draft and let Brady and guys like Patten see what they can impart to them and hope that's enough until Welker returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back