PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade #22 for Miles Austin or Vincent Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
As far as I can see Miles Austin and VJ have broken out into true #1 receivers. Why draft an unproven rookie in the 1st or trade for a headcase (Marshall) or sign an over the hill cancer (TO)?

Why not go and trade for a guy who looks ready to step in and be an immediate #1? It might take a little more than #22 but I'm sure the teams would at least listen if we start with that pick as an opening offer.

Miles Austin
Miles Austin NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Vincent Jackson
Vincent Jackson NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

It really depends. If I had to give it up now, not knowing who would be available within our reach at 22 (or by trading up a few spots), I say no. If there's a really good DE or OLB they like and can get at 22, I think that need is more pressing at the moment than WR.

It really depends. If I had to give it up now, not knowing who would be available within our reach at 22 (or by trading up a few spots), I say no. If there's a really good DE or OLB they like and can get at 22, I think that need is more pressing at the moment than WR.

But you've got to think about it from the perspective of the team you're trading with too. They wouldn't have the time to research who they'd pick to replace the guy they're trading away if you 'pop them the question' on draft day. You need to initiate the trade talks now or pretty soon if you want to get it done. Randy Moss looks like a goner after 2010, so getting a young stud replacement in place is actually a pretty big need.

What are the odds of a true stud fit for this defense still being available by pick #22? Consider the risks of waiting to see who is left over vs getting a proven stud offensive player now.

Yes but it would take more than just the #22

No.

Giving up #1 picks and then paying huge amounts of $$ to a vet is not the way to build a team.

This was Seattle's strategy with Deion Branch.

Not worth it.

I would trade the #1 however if Vincent Jackson would agree to a midlevel contract.

You mean # 22 for a 1 yr contract

or

Trade and sign to a say a 10 million dollar/yr contract [appx ]

No I'd rather keep that pick than have to give up a first rounder AND pay Jackson a lot of money. I thought the Boldin trade was the perfect opportunity b/c it was only a 3rd (or late 2nd for us I would assume).

No thank you. I would, however, give up our last 2nd rounder for Lance Moore.

No I'd rather keep that pick than have to give up a first rounder AND pay Jackson a lot of money. I thought the Boldin trade was the perfect opportunity b/c it was only a 3rd (or late 2nd for us I would assume).

And yet you've advocated spending a 1st round pick on an unproven Demaryius Thomas?

These guys are proven NFL studs and they are young, 25 and 26 respectively.

And yet you've advocated spending a 1st round pick on an unproven Demaryius Thomas?

These guys are proven NFL studs and they are young, 25 and 26 respectively.

No, that wasn't me. That was probably BelichickFan. Similar names, different people. I've advocated defense or OL in the first.

As far as I can see Miles Austin and VJ have broken out into true #1 receivers. Why draft an unproven rookie in the 1st or trade for a headcase (Marshall) or sign an over the hill cancer (TO)?

Why not go and trade for a guy who looks ready to step in and be an immediate #1? It might take a little more than #22 but I'm sure the teams would at least listen if we start with that pick as an opening offer.

Miles Austin

Vincent Jackson

If BB feels our most pressing need is WR, then why not? A proven NFL talent versus a Draft choice which is a "definite maybe". You might pay a little more for those two but that is an investment in the "learning curve" over a Draft pick. Look at the #1 rated WR Bryant. He's got baggage. Tate is a slot receiver on all counts. Benn has been dropping (no pun). I would not touch a USC WR in the first two rounds.

It would be tough to pick between those two. I would rather bite the bullet and go with the numskull Mashall and his 100+ a year in catches. I believe he also might be younger. He's a RFA #1 not an added #3. Orton and young Mr. Josh were not going to have control over him and Shanny had to Deal with Cutler. Maybe TB and BB work wonders.

I believe Austin and Jackson have gotten into some stupid things this year too.

DW Toys

Last edited:
If I had to go with any strategy, I'd trade the last 2nd rounder for Lance Moore, sign Josh Reed, and go defense with the remaining picks.

VJax, yes and i'd give a first and 3rd for him. 2nd Best WR in the NFL behind Andre.

Austin, no. Let's see what he does this year.

If I had to go with any strategy, I'd trade the last 2nd rounder for Lance Moore, sign Josh Reed, and go defense with the remaining picks.

I would be very happy with that plan.

I would definitely give up #22 for Jackson as long as they could work out a long term deal.

Yep, Yep. Sounds good to me.

Miles Austin

Vincent Jackson

Yep, I would also trade #22 for Ware, Revis, Suggs, Peppers, etc.

I would be very happy with that plan.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that's all I would do. Of course if there are other attractive FA's out there, I'm all for restocking with further mid-range FA additions.

I would just be shocked if BB traded a bunch of picks (or even just the first rounder) for a high-priced FA. Just doesn't really seem like his M.O.

If we knew what we had in Brandon Tate, would be an easier decision...

Vincent Jackson - YES. I remember hearing our coaches had him scouted as one of the top WR's in the entire league.
Miles Austin - NO WAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey