PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you take Zach Thomas next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
The Dolphin's blog in the Sun-Sentinel reports the following:

I couldn't help but think about Zach Thomas when discussing Parcells' infatuation with size, but I'd say this on Thomas' behalf. FILM DOESN'T LIE, and his film over the years - including this season - speaks volumes.

Thomas will likely get paroled (cut) because of his bloated contract, and don't be surprised if he catches on with a contender. He's not ready to hang it up, and I believe there's still plenty of value left in him.

I've always liked Thomas because he is a smart, productive gamer. He would seem like a natural fit with NE, given how well he performed as a 3-4 ILB when Saban coached Miami.

The negative is he is 34 years old and has had concussion problems.

Would you take him on the Pats next season, if Miami cuts him?

I don't see why the Patriots would take him. Personally, I think he has had an above average career, but is on the tail end of it. How many 30+ ILBs do the Pats need?

There's two issues here that can't be confused:

1. He is a great player, and a Patriots type player, and he may have something left.

2. He is one hit away from being a mush mind. For his sake, I hope he hangs em up.

He is also far too small to play ILB in our D.

No.

Although I, admittedly, wrote that about Moss at this time last year :).

If Seau and/or Bruschi retire, I could think of worse replacements. If he wants to come in on the cheap and take a shot at a ring as part of the ILB rotation, I'd love to have him.

I'd like to have him too.

I would be perfectly happy if this team would continue to get old MIddle Linebackers who are still pretty good, and close to retirement to come play here.

I wouldn't mind having thomas in a rotational role, similar to what bruschi was in before Colvin got hurt. I thought I heard somewhere that Channing Crowder (I think thats his name) might be a free agent, or a RFA...I remember reading that BB is a fan of his, and he could be someone to keep an eye on this offseason.

I wouldn't mind having thomas in a rotational role, similar to what bruschi was in before Colvin got hurt. I thought I heard somewhere that Channing Crowder (I think thats his name) might be a free agent, or a RFA...I remember reading that BB is a fan of his, and he could be someone to keep an eye on this offseason.

I thought I heard BB say that also, I was looking up his info and this popped out at me, hopefully it is not too serious...

Name: Channing Crowder
Height/Weight: 6-2, 245
Position: LB
Born: 12/2/83
College: Florida '06
Acquired: D3b, '05
NFL: Third Season
Dolphins: Third Season

"2007 - Was placed on Injured Reserve on Dec. 22nd and was lost for the remainder of the season ... On Dec. 18th underwent a right knee arthroscopy ... The surgery was performed by Dr. James Andrews at St. Vincent’s Hospital Birmingham, Alabama"

The Dolphin's blog in the Sun-Sentinel reports the following:

I've always liked Thomas because he is a smart, productive gamer. He would seem like a natural fit with NE, given how well he performed as a 3-4 ILB when Saban coached Miami.

The negative is he is 34 years old and has had concussion problems.

Would you take him on the Pats next season, if Miami cuts him?

Sadly I think Zach's better days are long gone. Concussion issues being a huge concern.

I don't see why the Patriots would take him. Personally, I think he has had an above average career, but is on the tail end of it. How many 30+ ILBs do the Pats need?

The Patriots will always have 30+ ILB's long after Bruschi and Jr. retire, that is as long as BB is coaching.

He is also far too small to play ILB in our D.

He was great when Saban played the same scheme. IMO, he is an exception to the rule because of his toughness, instincts and intelligence as a football player.

My biggest concern is the concussions. Maybe they can get him one of those special mouthpieces or something.

Thomas would fit in brilliantly!

But, I agree that his days have passed. Might be worth a go, if he doesn't hang up his cleats.

I could see him being the next Seau-type, after Seau's gone. He's always been a stud, and while his best days are behind him I don't see why he couldn't play in a rotation (especially if Bruschi stays on next year, or the Patriots pick up a guy like Hobson or Haggans). The only concern I have is his concussion history, but if he's willing to give it more of a go, good for him.

Last edited:
if Seau and Bruschi will retire...mmm...probably yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes