PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you take Hutchinson instead of Neal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There was a thread that said PATs want to build a fortress around Brady.
I am dreaming about the Oline again.

Consider both Steve Hutchinson and Stephen Neal are FA Guards.

Both will get new contracts. So if PATs could pick up Hutchinson
at a reasonable price ... should they do it?
Would Hutchinson be an upgrade over Neal?

Then suppose PATs use the 1st round pick to pick up perhaps the best
OT run blocker in the draft ... Marcus McNeil 6'9 338#
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/marcus_mcneill.html

Then dream about the Oline of

Light--Mankins--Koppen--Hutchinson--McNeil

Think Corey might have some fun with that line. :)

( McNeil's back need to check out , if not maybe Winston instead if available)

Of course the PATS would rather have Hutchinson. Just can't
afford him. I'm guessing he'll be making north of 5m per. We have
other players who have to be signed first.

patsfaninpa said:
Of course the PATS would rather have Hutchinson. Just can't
afford him. I'm guessing he'll be making north of 5m per. We have
other players who have to be signed first.

That's it, right there.

Bill has always economized on the O-Line. I don't imagine he'll reverse that. Sure wish he hadn't pushed so many chips across the table to Corey. Would like some of Corey's money to be going to the Metaphors in front of him.

Hutchinson is a LG and rather see him there.. But I agree with patsfaninpa, won't be able to afford him

No way in hell we'll be able to afford him. He's one of the top-ranked FA's in the league. Neal isn't even close. Neal wasn't even the best on our OL last year - #3 or #4.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
No way in hell we'll be able to afford him. He's one of the top-ranked FA's in the league. Neal isn't even close. Neal wasn't even the best on our OL last year - #3 or #4.
So you do WANT him though? I wouldn't rule out anything with Belioli.

Would love him here... would increase the value of the money we're spending on Corey. But, I'd nibble my Nikes if it actually happened.

My predicted 2006 O-line

This will be the starting o-line in 2006 Light,Mankins, Koppen, Neal and Kaczur.
I like it, the people at home like it, the people watching on TV like it, Cory Dillon and Laurence Maroney will love. Tom Brady will love it...... Best yet, Bill B will like it too.

Now if they can just stay injury-free we'll all like it :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Feep_FLA said:
This will be the starting o-line in 2006 Light,Mankins, Koppen, Neal and Kaczur.
I like it, the people at home like it, the people watching on TV like it, Cory Dillon and Laurence Maroney will love. Tom Brady will love it...... Best yet, Bill B will like it too.

Now if they can just stay injury-free we'll all like it :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Yes, that is surely the way it could turn out. Love it?
Not so sure. It certainly can do a decent job at protecting Brady but
what about run blocking?
It leaves me with the feeling PATs run blocking will be about the same and
if someone gets hurt .. they are back to 2005.

If PATs want a dominate Oline they have to do MORE than what they
have done in the past.
Do this one thing and it will pay big benefits on offense and defense.
There is not one thing PATs can do that will make as much difference
next year as upgrading the Oline in one or two positions. IMO

Jr4

I can't argue with you JR4. I would love to see an upgrade or two. I just doubt it will happen this year. My list is an ok pass-blocking group..... a slighty below average run-blocking group. Could be worse, could be better. I dream about Hannah and Grey..... wow. Tohave them in their prime right now... :rocker:

JR4 said:
There was a thread that said PATs want to build a fortress around Brady.
I am dreaming about the Oline again.

Consider both Steve Hutchinson and Stephen Neal are FA Guards.

Both will get new contracts. So if PATs could pick up Hutchinson
at a reasonable price ... should they do it?
Would Hutchinson be an upgrade over Neal?

Then suppose PATs use the 1st round pick to pick up perhaps the best
OT run blocker in the draft ... Marcus McNeil 6'9 338#
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/marcus_mcneill.html

Then dream about the Oline of

Light--Mankins--Koppen--Hutchinson--McNeil

Think Corey might have some fun with that line. :)

( McNeil's back need to check out , if not maybe Winston instead if available)
stupid question

Hutch no, too pricey. Try to keep Neal or move Gorin inside and put Kaczur at RT to keep our Tom alive.

McNeil? Dang Drew, you got it in for Tommy? The guy may be the best run blocker but that won't be enough to keep Tommy alive.

If money isn't an option, you'd have to be an idiot to take Neal over Hutch. Hutch is the #2 consensus 2006 FA behind teammate Shaun Alexander (who is only #1 bc of Hutch, Walt Jones & Co's blocking).

Hutch will likely be paid as the top interior lineman in football, topping the $$ Woody got when he bolted to Detroit.

If the Pats weren't willing to pay Woody that $$ to man the G or C spot back when their line was in *worse* shape than it is now, then they won't pay Hutch more now IMO.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Hutch no, too pricey. Try to keep Neal or move Gorin inside and put Kaczur at RT to keep our Tom alive.

McNeil? Dang Drew, you got it in for Tommy? The guy may be the best run blocker but that won't be enough to keep Tommy alive.

I understand from those of you who break down games (and do an excellent job, btw) that Gorin isn't the best pass blocker in the world.Moving Gorin inside is an interesting idea. Does that mean that you see him as a good run blocker?
You know, you're pretty intelligent and funny for an American. I have high hopes of getting you to spell correctly. One day, you may even be able to understand cricket. (Ducks and takes shelter behind very large object).
I'm teasing as you should know by now. :D

I just do not see a ton of FA money going out to anyone...There are other places that need to be addressed. Sure it would be great to have Hutch, but at what costs at other positions?? Sign Neal and Ashworth and see what happens in camp, There are also projects like Krug and Britt that may surprise.

I simply don't understand the question. Would I rather have a mediocre guard or the best guard in football? OK! I'll choose Hutch. Now what is real question?

To answer your question, if the Pats could have Hutch at a "reasonable" price I'm sure they'd make that deal in a heartbeat. I just don't think Hutch and reasonable price belong in the same sentence!
I'll vote that we draft our own "Hutch"!

How about a slightly cheaper upgrade?

Rather than Hutchinson, how about LeCharles Bently? He is every bit as good as a Guard as Hutch and is a crackerjack center too! He would be an upgrade over Koppen and Neal and that is what this line needs..an UPGRADE. I know having Light at LT and moving the rook to RT is an upgrade but let's finish the job! Remember that Koppen is a FA next year and has made noises about getting back to his hometown (Philly). I want to see an OL that can PUSH!

Jan 5 2006 - C LeCharles Bentley responded Tuesday to comments from Saints receiver Joe Horn that suggested that the offensive line may have been the source of the team's troubles this season. Bentley defended former coach Jim Haslett and quarterback Aaron Brooks, who was benched for the final three games of the season after making 82 consecutive starts for the franchise, and took a shot of his own. "I believe it's the people that everyone thinks are the team leaders that are the true cancers of this organization," Bentley said. "Some of these people, who are always running their mouths in front of the cameras and have some asinine quote, really need to shut up and play football and do their jobs so everybody else can do their jobs effectively."

What if the Pats went through some troubles (for example, how Brady came out and shut up Schottenheimer after the Chargers game nightmare), and Bentley said that?

And Bentley is only marginally better than Koppen. You're really undervaluing the Kop-master. He's brought nothing but solid play since filling in after Compton went down in 2003. The injury was in the grand scheme of things minor and shouldn't at all affect him next season.

Not to mention Koppen is at least $4 mil. cheaper, at least for this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey