Do you take Dez ?

• Yes, take a chance

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • No, the pick is too valuable

Votes: 25 34.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see. We think that our top need is the pass rush (as almost every 3-4 ddefense thinks including the #12 defense in the league in 2009). The answer to this need is NOT to draft a passrusher.

Instead the answer is to draft a wide receiver, to imporve on out top 5 offense.

Isn't the answer to the defense giving up too many points to improve the defense?
=========================

I'm not opposed to Bryant if belichick thinks he is needed. He has assessed the talent of Edelman and Tate. he has an idea of when Welker will be back. He know his plans for Moss. And he has evaluated the wide receivers available later in the draft and after the draft.

That being said, if our problem is 4th quarter defense, perhaps the answer is Wilson or Odrick rather than Bryant.

We're gonna need to put up points. You can have Deion Sanders in his prime and he would get torched w/o a significant pass rush. But knowing that it will take years to develop a conversion DE, we need an impact player on the offense. It doesn't have to be with the #22 pick but if the best available is there then it makes sense to take him IMO.

Let's see. We think that our top need is the pass rush (as almost every 3-4 ddefense thinks including the #12 defense in the league in 2009). The answer to this need is NOT to draft a passrusher.

Instead the answer is to draft a wide receiver, to imporve on out top 5 offense.

Isn't the answer to the defense giving up too many points to improve the defense?
=========================

I'm not opposed to Bryant if belichick thinks he is needed. He has assessed the talent of Edelman and Tate. he has an idea of when Welker will be back. He know his plans for Moss. And he has evaluated the wide receivers available later in the draft and after the draft.

That being said, if our problem is 4th quarter defense, perhaps the answer is Wilson or Odrick rather than Bryant.

it's all about balancing need vs. value. if you can spend a late 1st on a guy who was originally projected in the top 10 at the same time addressing a position of need than you've done your job.

Last edited:
I think you opt for drafting need when the players on the board are of a relatively silimar quality. However, if a guy is on the board, and his talent is significantly greater than the next guy who fits a need, you take the more talented player. Granted, you might not take a QB persay, if you have a Tom Brady, but in this case, if Bryant is indeed a top 5, or 10 talent, and he's there at #22, I think you have to take him. Especially since you could potentially move up, or take a slider at the DE/LB position, with your next pick. Welker plays the slot and may never be the same player after his injury, and Moss is 33, and in the last year of his contract. The Pats have no one on the outside moving forward. They don't have anyone opposite Moss even. Bryant would certainly fill a need.

I think you opt for drafting need when the players on the board are of a relatively silimar quality. However, if a guy is on the board, and his talent is significantly greater than the next guy who fits a need, you take the more talented player. Granted, you might not take a QB persay, if you have a Tom Brady, but in this case, if Bryant is indeed a top 5, or 10 talent, and he's there at #22, I think you have to take him. Especially since you could potentially move up, or take a slider at the DE/LB position, with your next pick. Welker plays the slot and may never be the same player after his injury, and Moss is 33, and in the last year of his contract. The Pats have no one on the outside moving forward. They don't have anyone opposite Moss even. Bryant would certainly fill a need.

Only if he can get on the field. And in this sight adjusted, read and react offense that isn't a given. Like Bill says all the talent in the world isn't worth a thing if it can't play in your system.

I don't think it's worth it at 22. I think we've got other needs that need and/or could be addressed at 22. If we are going to take a WR early, I'd do it with one of the 2nd rounders or if Mike Williams is there in the 4th I'd grab him. I think guys like Benn and Mike Williams are comparable to Bryant talent-wise and are available at a better value.

Dez is a good player, but I would rather wait until 2011 to spend a 1st rounder on a WR because I feel that is a much stronger class at the top. I'd probably rather have any of AJ Green (my most desired WR), Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin, or Michael Floyd over Dez Bryant. I'm concerned about his speed and his intelligence.

Amen, I'm all about AJ Green, I'd much rather spend a 1st round pick on the right receiver than to just get the guy available now.

Only if he can get on the field. And in this sight adjusted, read and react offense that isn't a given. Like Bill says all the talent in the world isn't worth a thing if it can't play in your system.

Totally agree.

See: Chad Jackson.

I would say yes but only if,

1) There isn't a better defensive player on the board; and
2) BB is satisfied with Bryant's character, intelligence, and fit with the Patriots offense.

I searched the Oklahoma sportswriters for their take on Dez Bryant and found a lot of good information.

Tulsa World: Sports Extra - Blogs - OSU

On Tuesday, I spoke by telephone with a writer from the Miami (Fla.) Herald. He had several questions about Dez Bryant, the former Oklahoma State wide receiver. Apparently, there is a chance that the Miami Dolphins might select Bryant with the 12th pick in next week's NFL draft first round.

Because of Bryant's 2009 suspension (the result of having lied to an NCAA investigator), there is the perception that he has character issues. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. describes Bryant as a "diva," but it is my opinion that Bryant doesn't have character issues. He has maturity issues.

Those who really know Bryant insist that he doesn't have a malicious bone in his body. They say he isn't a party guy. Doesn't use alcohol or drugs. Unanimously, they agree that Bryant is an incredibly gifted playmaker. Just as unanimously, they agree that Bryant needs to grow up – that he is lacking in certain areas of basic adult responsibility.

Because of Bryant's maturity deficiencies, there is a risk for any team that drafts him. There also is the chance, however, that Bryant may emerge as the most dynamic performer in the 2010 draft.

My advice to any team would be this: If you are going to invest millions in Dez Bryant, then you need to invest additional money in someone who would serve as a big-brother mentor. Someone who could shield Bryant from leeches who want his money. Someone who would be a strong, positive and constant influence.

and, Tulsa World: Sports Extra - Blogs - Fantasy World

...would Pittsburgh pick a receiver with perceived character issues after trading one with those traits? Dallas has been mentioned as a possible landing spot at No. 27 if Bryant slid that far. But that would be a bad place for him in my opinion. Bryant needs to get out of this region of the country. What about New England at No. 22? That is a very intriguing match. Bryant's idol Randy Moss is there and coach Bill Belichick would make sure there is no gray area for Bryant to venture into.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye