• yes

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • no

Votes: 23 39.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So because there's more money we'll give it to Matt because that's fair? Sounds like what McGinest was always complaining about. I just don't see them offering much or anymore than he makes now. The next time the Patriots give an end career contract to "take care" of someone will be the first. Other teams do.
You really need to pay attention to what you read.
Where did I even come close to saying any of that.
You were arguing that Light didnt get a big contract, I showed the contract and the context under which it was signed.
I couldn't disagree with anything more than paying someone more than they deserve in the future because of what they did in the past, and have stated as much about 11,000 on this board.
For you to take my comment to mean that, now for the 2nd time, just shows that you are not discussing the topic, you are stating your opinion and trying to distort anyone elses responses into something you can disagree to deflect the weakness of your position.
If that is not what you wish to do, then respond to the actual post.

Do you disagree that if you expect to pay less than every other team you will struggle to sign any players?
Do you disagree that the Patriots are competing with the rest of the teams for players, and that is why their is a market price?
Do you really think that a 6 yr 27 mill contract extnesion in 2004 when the cap was 83 mill was not a large contract?
Or just make **** up.

Do you really think that a 6 yr 27 mill contract extnesion in 2004 when the cap was 83 mill was not a large contract?
Or just make **** up.

Well, these are from 2005 and they're left tackles. I don't think his salary was high for a left tackle of that era, no i don't.

But the next two highest-paid players were left tackles: the Rams' Orlando Pace, at $18 million, and the Seahawks' Walter Jones, at $17.7 million.
New book reveals left tackles are NFL's quiet millionaires - Oct. 13, 2006

No, the other is you suck at assessing him as a LT.

Well, I bet he ends up moving to another position on the line or leaving before three years are up. it hurts me deeply that you think i suck, just like i did when i said they would need to draft some actual linebackers when everyone said the never do that, they can only spend years transitioning DEs, or acquiring converted DEs elsewhere.

Well, these are from 2005 and they're left tackles. I don't think his salary was high for a left tackle of that era, no i don't.

New book reveals left tackles are NFL's quiet millionaires - Oct. 13, 2006
You are joking right? Those are what they made for one season, including their signing bonus.
It doesnt matter if you think it was high, because there are facts and there are what you think. But if you want to prove you are right, then show comparable CONTRACTS, not one year of pay.

Well, I bet he ends up moving to another position on the line or leaving before three years are up. it hurts me deeply that you think i suck, just like i did when i said they would need to draft some actual linebackers when everyone said the never do that, they can only spend years transitioning DEs, or acquiring converted DEs elsewhere.
Maybe he will, no one knows at what rate or time his skills will erode, but that has nothing to do with how he has played up until now. Nice try diverting though.
I didnt say you suck, I said you have proven that your ability to assess LT play sucks.
As far as the rest, I have no clue what you reciting your feelings about LBs have to do with this discussion.

I think if Vollmer is ready to start at LT its a waste of $20M. We can trade up and get our next future LT in the draft if we want. We can train him at our LT training site...RT. LT is a spot of value on this team and in this league, we can have young guys all over the team but LT is never where I want a rookie. If we do sign Light what do we do when Vollmer's contract comes up? He will be looking for LT money because someone will be offering. At that time he will be worth more than Light, and you simply cant pay to have both of em here. Kaczur got his money for the season he replaced Light at LT. I believe there are always going to be X number of stars on the team and who get paid accordingly. QB, LT, NT, rush LB are positions there are fewer star players. BB has shown he will pay LBs. Its good to have a star system as the young guys not getting paid much have a incentive to get there. Vollmer has done everything right, his promotion and extension in year 3 makes sense on alot of levels and we can even get a comp pick for letting Light go....right??

Maybe he will, no one knows at what rate or time his skills will erode, but that has nothing to do with how he has played up until now. Nice try diverting though.
I didnt say you suck, I said you have proven that your ability to assess LT play sucks.
As far as the rest, I have no clue what you reciting your feelings about LBs have to do with this discussion.

I'm not diverting, look at the thread title. Should we sign Light for three years at almost 3 million per year more? You're the one getting all upset and saying i hate light, which couldn't be further from the truth. He's not real fluid, and doesn't have long arms, leaving him having to lunge sometimes, that was my only point. Vollmer is blessed with a different body, that's all.

Light's not underpaid or overpaid, he's in the middle, as a reliable, but not superstar left tackle. Pace got 18 million upfront and about double what Light got for seven years. Upfront money is important in the NFL, and he got 2/3 of Light's whole contract in a year.

I'm not diverting, look at the thread title. Should we sign Light for three years at almost 3 million per year more? You're the one getting all upset and saying i hate light, which couldn't be further from the truth.
I have not said that. I think I said its clear you don't like him, and I thought it was implicit that I meant his play. You have made plenty of comments suggesting you do not think he is very good.

He's not real fluid, and doesn't have long arms, leaving him having to lunge sometimes, that was my only point. Vollmer is blessed with a different body, that's all.
And I say you are wrong. Every statistic available says he done an excellent job at LT.
I think we are done here. You don't think he is good, and I think that makes you wrong. What more is there to say?

Light's not underpaid or overpaid, he's in the middle, as a reliable, but not superstar left tackle. Pace got 18 million upfront and about double what Light got for seven years. Upfront money is important in the NFL, and he got 2/3 of Light's whole contract in a year.
Pace got 18mill in pay that season, not necessarily up front, but that IIRC made him the highest paid player in the NFL.
Citing what the highest paid player in the league made does not show that this comment is accurate
Why do you think we got Light in his prime for so much less, because he doesn't like money?

You clearly are implying that he got a below market contract. Below the highest paid player is not below market. IIRC his contract put him somewhere in the top 5 or top 10 Ts. That is not consistent with your postings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back