• yes

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • no

Votes: 23 39.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It absolutely is. Bill Belichick decides what each player is worth to our team and if it's going to cost a lot more, he gets a replacement. Now, if I'm an agent, I don't want to negotiate with Belichick, I'd much rather negotiate with Patfans posters who have decided to give me LT in their prime money despite the fact I've settled for less and I might not even last a three year contract.

Why do you think we got Light in his prime for so much less, because he doesn't like money?
But BB will never sign a player if he expects to pay below market value for all of them. He is competing for each player, which is why there is a market value.
I think if you look into you will find Lights deal was not as far off what the market was when he signed it. There has been a very big increase in the going price since then.

EDIT: Light signed 6 years and 27 mill at a time when the cap was only 83 mill.

Last edited by a moderator:
While that perception is widely held it is not consistent with the facts.

Well, when he gets beat by one, it's a flopping on the ground, completely out of the play beat, and that doesn't show up on statistics.

Although raw, Vollmer has much longer wingspan and he's light on his feet. I never see him prone while a rusher steps over him, but i guess it might have happened. Even a holding penalty is better than an unimpeded rusher.

But you decide which free agents you go all out for and which you'll have to pass on if their demands are too high and inflexible. No surprise we reupped Seymour and Wilfork in their prime for big bucks. Of course we would have been outbid there and DL are what make our defense tick. They made a calculate risk on oft injured Seymours later years, getting a pick and saving a big contract. Maybe the erred, but i doubt it. we'll see. Same with Boddin.

I went to Miguels page and saw Light's yearly salary. Who are we bidding against? BB doesn't believe in golden parachutes.

Why don't you just post that you don't like Light rather than try to wrap it up in this?
If you let Light walk, then you have to pay the market price for his replacement, who you are competing for,

We would be bidding against which other teams want to sign him.
Not sure what you mean by looking at his salaries, and the golden parachute comment is senseless.

But you decide which free agents you go all out for and which you'll have to pass on if their demands are too high and inflexible. No surprise we reupped Seymour and Wilfork in their prime for big bucks. Of course we would have been outbid there and DL are what make our defense tick. They made a calculate risk on oft injured Seymours later years, getting a pick and saving a big contract. Maybe the erred, but i doubt it. we'll see. Same with Boddin.

I went to Miguels page and saw Light's yearly salary. Who are we bidding against? BB doesn't believe in golden parachutes.

BB can keep within a team budget. That's NOT a market, which was what you were claiming.

And they clearly screwed up on Seymour, as you already know. But I'll leave that there, since it's a waste of time pursuing.

Lastly, as far as golden parachutes go, that's not what Light would be getting.

Last edited:
Well, when he gets beat by one, it's a flopping on the ground, completely out of the play beat, and that doesn't show up on statistics.
What does that mean? Have you looked into Lights actual real performance vs speed rushers? Do you know what his record vs Freeney is compared to what Freeney does against everyone else? Taylor? Anyone?
Rather than posting an inane comment, why not use some facts?

Although raw, Vollmer has much longer wingspan and he's light on his feet. I never see him prone while a rusher steps over him, but i guess it might have happened. Even a holding penalty is better than an unimpeded rusher.
Again, a non-starter. You have not shown that Light allows an above average amount of sacks, which you cannot because he does not. Holding penalties are better than failure, but they are worse than what Matt Light gives you which is probowl caliber LT play.

But BB will never sign a player if he expects to pay below market value for all of them. He is competing for each player, which is why there is a market value.
I think if you look into you will find Lights deal was not as far off what the market was when he signed it. There has been a very big increase in the going price since then.

I addressed that in an in between post. They go hard after the Wilforks Seymour (in his prime) Brady. I'm not saying they cheap out, but there were a lot of starting left tackles making more than Light. Be that as it may, it's a new contract and he's getting long in the tooth. I've always condidered him an average left tackle, left over from when Brady threw only quick darts and they ran a lot. We got by with guys named Ashworth and Gorin back then too. Brady simply never took more than an eyeblink to ge rid of the ball in that training wheels offense.

Sounds like I'm hating on Light, but i respect his hard work and leadership. I just never thought he was a very physically gifted left tackle just the way he's built and moves. I can't see him improving a lot at this point and the opposite is a possibility IMO.

They'll decide how much to offer, who to draft and who plays LT. They've done a pretty good job of that, I don't try to play GM. Friendly wager? I don't see a three year deal for alomst seven per, unless it's structure so they can walk out of it (no contract expert here).

Last edited:
What does that mean? Have you looked into Lights actual real performance vs speed rushers? Do you know what his record vs Freeney is compared to what Freeney does against everyone else? Taylor? Anyone?
Rather than posting an inane comment, why not use some facts?

Again, a non-starter. You have not shown that Light allows an above average amount of sacks, which you cannot because he does not. Holding penalties are better than failure, but they are worse than what Matt Light gives you which is probowl caliber LT play.

I'm not going to argue with you, I watch the games on TV and so does everyone else.

I believe Antwan Barnes is the recent one I'm thinking of. Of course Brady gets rid of the ball and all our linemen are all pros, but there's no stat for being prone and out of the play.

Why don't you just post that you don't like Light rather than try to wrap it up in this?
If you let Light walk, then you have to pay the market price for his replacement, who you are competing for,

Not necessarily. There's also the draft. And besides getting a replacement RT is a lot cheaper than a replacement LT because they command less money. Vollmer is our future LT. He's had a couple of years to develop, he's ready to take over. Why over pay for an over the hill Light if we can get an RT cheaper either through free agency or the draft?

We keep on talking about Vollmer as our future LT. Well, it's this year or not at all. Vollmer is signed through 2011. It seems reason to have him continue to become a probowl RT and then to try to extend him. It also makes sense to move him now and draft a RT (Constanzo is ready and able).

We keep on talking about Vollmer as our future LT. Well, it's this year or not at all. Vollmer is signed through 2011. It seems reason to have him continue to become a probowl RT and then to try to extend him. It also makes sense to move him now and draft a RT (Constanzo is ready and able).

:confused:

Why would he be a pro bowl right tackle? He's better at left tackle, IMO. The combination of being light on his feet and having a huge wingspan allows him to not have to commit as much. Sure he'll get beat, but he'll be in the play, able to hold rather than end up on the ground.

Protecting the QBs blind side it's important to at least stay in the play, or grab, IMO.

We would be bidding against which other teams want to sign him.
Not sure what you mean by looking at his salaries, and the golden parachute comment is senseless.

I don't dislike him, I think he always gives top effort and plays to his ability. Players are blessed with different bodies, reactions etc. Why does it always have to be "you hate him" when I'm saying other players have longer arms, more relaxed motion?

EDIT: Light signed 6 years and 27 mill at a time when the cap was only 83 mill.

So because there's more money we'll give it to Matt because that's fair? Sounds like what McGinest was always complaining about. I just don't see them offering much or anymore than he makes now. The next time the Patriots give an end career contract to "take care" of someone will be the first. Other teams do.

Last edited:
Light will be resigned. Light will be the starting LT, THIS season. BB will not be drafting a LT in the first round to replace Light THIS year. I hope this clears everything up for you guys :D

Nick Kaczur a bad RT who was on IR last year made 4 million im pretty sure Light a pro bowl LT can and will get at lest 7 million

Nick Kaczur a bad RT who was on IR last year made 4 million im pretty sure Light a pro bowl LT can and will get at lest 7 million

This. If we can pay an extra $3M to secure Light instead of having to keep Kaczur around and shift Vollmer to the left, that's money well spent.

I think its fair. Matt Light is a very good left tackle but not elite, and should be good for at least the next 2 seasons. He's been a very good servant to this team.

If we can pay Tully Banta Cain 18million over 3 years, i'm sure we are getting more value out of Matt Light for 2million more.

3 yrs, 20 million total. 7.5 million gaurenteed.

Thats is what Chad Clifton got last year from the Packers. Both are at similar parts of their careers. When Clifton signed his deal, he was a 10 year vet. Same with Light. Cliftons a year older when their deals would be signed, Clifton turned 34 in June of '10, Light will turn 33 in June of '11. Both left tackles. Clifton has been to 2 probowls, Light 3 probowls with 1 all pro season.

With Light being the Pats player rep I dont see him taking a home town discount and this will be his last chance at a big payday. I think he will start with what Clifton got last year, he may even ask for more.

Depends how its structured. Is the 7.5 Million in the form of a signing bonus? I presume under this deal Light could easily be cut in year 2 or 3. I'd have no problem with this deal.

Dunno. After the Meriweather news and knowing just how good Light is with shotguns, me I'd give him what he wants.

Last edited:
I think its fair. Matt Light is a very good left tackle but not elite, and should be good for at least the next 2 seasons. He's been a very good servant to this team.

If we can pay Tully Banta Cain 18million over 3 years, i'm sure we are getting more value out of Matt Light for 2million more.

I have my doubts that TBC will even remain a Patriot. Mike Vrabel was cut for making 5M per out of his prime. Kaczur is already reportedly getting the boot for making 4M per year.

Given Light's age and declining performance, what makes you think BB will pay Light an extra 3M on top of what he makes now? It certainly doesn't seem to be a move that fits BB's usual Modus Operandi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey