PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you rather face SD or IND in AFCCG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all - The Dolphins beat the Bears during the regular season,but the Dolphins were NOT the defending Super Bowl champions the year before,It was the Redskins,I believe that won it the year before.

Get your facts straight dude - This is not even comparable to that.

I think it puts a cherry on top of any Super Bowl champion when they beat the defending SB champ in the playoffs on thier way to the SB.

Unless the previous years SB champion was in the other conference to which it would mean it would have to have the previous champion get there again.

Beating Indy in the regular season was big but nothing compared to the playoffs.

1.) The Bears didn't beat the winner from the previous year (San Francisco)

2.) The only team to beat the Bears was the Dolphins. The Dolphins were one of only two teams in the AFC to win 12 games, while New England got in via the wild card. That Dolphins team had lost to the 49ers in the Super Bowl the year before.

So, again, under your theory, the Bears' season must have sucked since they didn't beat the 49ers in the playoffs, and didn't face the best of the AFC.

2.) The only team to beat the Bears was the Dolphins. The Dolphins were one of only two teams in the AFC to win 12 games, while New England got in via the wild card. That Dolphins team had lost to the 49ers in the Super Bowl the year before.

So, again, under your theory, the Bears' season must have sucked since they didn't beat the 49ers in the playoffs, and didn't face the best of the AFC.

I didn't say the team would be considered anything less than a champion even if they don't meet the previous SB champion, BUT its always icing on the cake when you get a chance to put the defending champion out of contention and if New England gets a chance to do that, IMO that would be awesome.

This is going to sound like a copout, but I mean it...just get my team to the AFCCG and I don't care who we're playing or where we're playing it. Indy, SD, Pitt, Jax, all those teams are meat as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't say the team would be considered anything less than a champion even if they don't meet the previous SB champion, BUT its always icing on the cake when you get a chance to put the defending champion out of contention and if New England gets a chance to do that, IMO that would be awesome.

"It may definately be harder to win against the Colts,but to truly say this team is the best of all times would mean it would almost have to be a must to beat the defending Super Bowl champions if the chances arise."

No, you weren't talking about icing. You were talking foolishness about the team needing (or, "almost" needing) to play the Colts for the sake of their legacy. It's nonsense.

This team could beat the Titans, Steelers and Redskins, and they'd still be arguably the greatest team in NFL history.

Last edited:
"It may definately be harder to win against the Colts,but to truly say this team is the best of all times would mean it would almost have to be a must to beat the defending Super Bowl champions if the chances arise."

No, you weren't talking about icing. You were talking foolishness about the team needing (or, "almost" needing) to play the Colts for the sake of their legacy. It's nonsense.

This team could beat the Titans, Steelers and Redskins, and they'd still be arguably the greatest team in NFL history.

Even if they go 19-0 I still think there is going to be arguing whether they are the best ever.

At least the 18-1 49ers 18-1 Broncos and 18-1 Bears actually had some decent teams or at least competitive teams in thier division so it may be argued forever,even if the team is the first to go 19-0.

no brainer....SD. Although I am confident that we win against either

PATRIOT64 you're owned - give it up. You root for the weaker team - tough sh-t if the Colts or whoever lost a game they were favored in.

I'm not inclined to look it up, but over the course of history how many Superbowl Champs beat the previous years Superbowl Champs in the playoffs? Heck, at least we already beat the Colts this year - IN INDY. We have nothing more to prove as regards the Colts this year.

Even if they go 19-0 I still think there is going to be arguing whether they are the best ever.

Exactly, and even if we beat the Colts. So, if you know this why did you post the need to beat the Colts as opposed to someone else?

Simple question, say we beat whoever we play in the divisional round, and we move on to the AFCCG....who would u like us to meet?

the colts or SD if those are the two options?

SD is the hot team right now, and they do have LT, and it will be in foxboro...

the colts have a similar offense to ours, but their D is relied heavily on speed, which will hurt them in the cold/snow, but they are the Colts...

i dont know, we have to really play both, to show that we can beat SD when they play good, and IND, when they arnt injured (which would be a stupid argument the second time around b/c of injured freeney etc instead of marvin this time)

personally, i think the easier game will be agianst the colts

We dont HAVE TO play anyone "TO SHOW" anything.
We have absolutely nothing to prove, other than winning the next 3 games against whoever shows up. I really don't care who that is.

Please refrain from belittling our victories over those teams by creating and endorsing excuses that seem to be designed to say they dont REALLY count.
The Chargers did not 'play bad' against us for some mystical reason. It was because we are better. The fact that they have a better record later in the season has nothing to do with it, if they played us late, they would be 'playing bad' now.
We beat the Colts, we played our guys, they played theirs. If wins are judged as incomplete because of injuries, I guess the Colts cannot claim last years AFC could they?

I don't understand the mentality from some of you guys

In order for this season to be the ABSOLUTE best,Not only do you want to face Indy which is the 2nd best team in the conference but you want the Patriots to get to the big dance by beating the DEFENDING Super Bowl champions.

Wanting San Diego to me is moronic - If you want this team to be known as the absolute best then beating the defending SB champion in the AFCCG is really a heavy stamp to greatness.

Bypassing Indy to me would be an absolute dissapointment.

There is no disappointment in what other teams do.
We have one job to do. Beat the next 3 teams.
It willl be decided ON THE FIELD who the best of the rest are, and they will play us.
You are arguing that if SD beats the Colts, we didn't play the best team, which is ludicrous, because if SD beats the Colts they ARE the better team. (Of course SD needs to beat Tenn first which is no sure thing either)

At least the 18-1 49ers 18-1 Broncos and 18-1 Bears actually had some decent teams or at least competitive teams in thier division so it may be argued forever,even if the team is the first to go 19-0.

Do you just make this up?
The Bears had ZERO teams in their division with a winning record.
The conference had 1 team better than 10-6, and that was the DIETER BROCK-led Rams.

The 49ers had 1 team over .500, the 10-6 Rams and 1 team in the conference at 11-5.

The Broncos never were 18-1.

If I had my druthers, I'd choose the Titans and then the Steelers, because those are the two weakest teams in the field. Hoping to play tougher teams is just nuts.
Are you serious? How can you say the Pats are the best team in hte league if you think they will lose to the Colts and Chargers. You think they are third best. Did someone put estrogen in your One-A-Day vitamin bottle by mistake?

There is no disappointment in what other teams do.
We have one job to do. Beat the next 3 teams.
It willl be decided ON THE FIELD who the best of the rest are, and they will play us.
You are arguing that if SD beats the Colts, we didn't play the best team, which is ludicrous, because if SD beats the Colts they ARE the better team. (Of course SD needs to beat Tenn first which is no sure thing either)
I agree. We play whoever we face, and we beat them.

But think, if people are hoping to face the weakest teams possible, what does that say about their faith in the Patriots?

To me, beating co-MVPs McNair and Manning on the way to the SB was awesome. It left no doubt who was the better team.

Also (different year), hold the best offense in teh league to 3 points and putting 41 on the best defense sure made a statement.

Praying to face a weak team, as so many here are doing, is just sickening.

Doesn't matter, all the AFC teams in the playoff field are considered tough. For all I know, Pittsburgh could theoretically be our AFC championship opponent. This happens if Tennessee and Pittsburgh win the WC rounds. Then Pittsburgh wins at Indianapolis and NE beats Tennessee in the divisionals.

THe point is anything can happen. I'm pretty sure the coaching staff and the players are prepared for all the scenarios.

I agree. We play whoever we face, and we beat them.

But think, if people are hoping to face the weakest teams possible, what does that say about their faith in the Patriots?

To me, beating co-MVPs McNair and Manning on the way to the SB was awesome. It left no doubt who was the better team.

Also (different year), hold the best offense in teh league to 3 points and putting 41 on the best defense sure made a statement.

Praying to face a weak team, as so many here are doing, is just sickening.

I dont know how you can describe the team that wins in the playoffs as the weaker team.
If the Titans beat the Chargers (and they very well might) they are better.
We are going to play the team that has proven itself the 4th best in the AFC next week, then the team that has proven itself the 2nd best.
Anyone can opine about who they think are 2nd and 4th best, but unless it is who we end up playing, the opinion was wrong.
I don't think SB Champs are judged at all by their path, because everyone of them beats a top 4 in the conference team in the divisional round, and the 2nd best in the Champ game. Then they play the best of the other conference in the SB.

Someone thinking that the team that didnt win their way there was better isn't dealing in reality.

Chargers
Why?
Because I'm bored with Manning's 'Home Alone" look of dejection after a big loss but I still find LT's extreme meltdowns entertaining.
That's my pick.

Agreed. Manning has become that embarrassing cousin from Appalachia who always comes to visit during the holidays and overstays his welcome. Along with LT's meltdowns we also have Rivers' tantrums to enjoy as well. Although, seeing Martin Luther Dungy deny his emotions in the face of crushing defeat always is an interesting psychological study ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back