PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you rather draft Gronkowski Lite or Hernandez* Lite?

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious: would rather see the team draft a big, beastly, all-around tight end or a quicker hybrid type? If the Patriots could draft a guy who resembled (unlikely he would actually be as good as but would be similar) Gronkowski or Hernandez*, which type would you prefer?

*Without serial killer tendencies.

With Gronk Lite, you get a backup insurance policy for one of the most critical positions. When Gronk gets injured, the guys who come in have no pass catching abilities and it's devastating. The player could also be used in two TE sets, albeit he would not add the dynamic nature of a fast, shifty downfield threat who can lineup anywhere.

With Hernandez Lite, you get a guy who would be on the field all the time as a jackknife player. He would compliment Gronk if Gronk stays on the field, and in the event of an injury, he would make the offense better (much like the 2012 season) although still lacking in red zone offense and run blocking.

I use the term "Lite" just for realistic expectations. If there is someone available who is an immediate star contributor at the tight end position, that would be ideal, but let's presume that most draft picks are not going to be superstar players.

Last edited:
i would go for gronk lite (assuming he is healthy just like the assumption you made about ahern). Gronk lite would be a great blocker and pass catcher, even if he isnt as "dynamic" as ahern lite. just my opinion. good question though.

It's tough because I believe our offense is missing that dynamic player who is a YAC monster like Hernandez. Adding a Gronk-lite might be a bigger mismatch because he would be equal parts run blocker and receiver; would be harder to stop the run game, but I would lean to Hernandez lite.

We need a versatile weapon who can line up anywhere and make a lot of guys miss/get a bunch of YAC. IMO diversity of offense is a good thing. Hernandez lite would also improve red zone offense.

Kinda OT, but does anyone else believe that AH never really lived up to his full potential? I mean he never had a 1000 yard season or caught 10+ TDs. Guy had all the physical tools and I thought the best was yet to come for him.

Tendencies are OK if you never act on them. We're not looking to indoctrinate guys into the seminary. That said Hernandez lite for me. Speed on one side and power on the other made for match-up nightmares

I'd definitely like to see a Gronkowski lite. But I would like to see a dominating run blocking tight end with average receiving skills so we can get some good run blocking in the play action.

Problem is we don't have any dominating run blocking tight ends after Gronk. Hooman is an average run blocker and average(maybe below average) receiver.

Gronk Lite with another WR so when/if Gronk gets injured, Gronk Lite can replace him and be more productive than the Hooman and the Pats can transition from a 2TE attack to more of a 3WR attack. Putting a guy like ASJ or Niklas in this offense with a healthy Gronk would be deadly, especially in the red zone.

Gronk lite, all the way

Gronk-lite/Jake Ballard pre-injury: CJ Fiedorowicz, you have 2 TEs that can block like Tackles and 2 giant red zone targets that can make those tough contested catches in the end zone.

I'd go with Hernandez Lite. He could line up anywhere (including the backfield) and he created match-up nightmares.

Not trying to be a stickler or anything but technically he's (allegedly) a mass murderer, not a serial killer. I'd prefer to skip over both of those...

Gronk-like and the choice is not even close. The Gronk has had a lot of injuries for a young career. Hernandez could catch but was a lousy and lazy blocker while the Gronk mauls defenders.

Im not so into the Xs and Os of football that I can answer this.

I just see what a dominating blocking AND catching TE Gronk is and just think: if one Gronk on the field is that good, why not 2?

Maybe Im doing the receiving side of Hernandez a disservice, but Gronk's super large catching radius and height mixed with his not unimpressive hands really closes the gap in this regard and in everything else Gronk is clearly the superior TE.

Last edited:
Gronklite imo or your standard tight end without the same ability as Gronk is still a very important player to a team.

I am not sure a less skilled move TE has very much value just use different players /positions for the role.

Gronk-lite, and it wouldn't be close. Sure Hernandez presented match up problems for defenses but so does Gronk. The man is really unstoppable when he's 100%. I don't think the same can be said for the Hernandez type of TE.

Just curious: would rather see the team draft a big, beastly, all-around tight end or a quicker hybrid type? If the Patriots could draft a guy who resembled (unlikely he would actually be as good as but would be similar) Gronkowski or Hernandez*, which type would you prefer?

With Gronk Lite, you get a backup insurance policy for one of the most critical positions. When Gronk gets injured, the guys who come in have no pass catching abilities and it's devastating. The player could also be used in two TE sets, albeit he would not add the dynamic nature of a fast, shifty downfield threat who can lineup anywhere.

With Hernandez Lite, you get a guy who would be on the field all the time as a jackknife player. He would compliment Gronk if Gronk stays on the field, and in the event of an injury, he would make the offense better (much like the 2012 season) although still lacking in red zone offense and run blocking.

I use the term "Lite" just for realistic expectations. If there is someone available who is an immediate star contributor at the tight end position, that would be ideal, but let's presume that most draft picks are not going to be superstar players.

I would go with Gronkowski, the reason being is unless we move Amendola we are going to use him and Edelman a lot together on the field so to have another player who primarily works underneath in the less than 10-yard range would be a cluster F.

In addition, Gronkowski can play the Flex-TE so if you take a player capable of playing the Y-TE it will free Gronkowski up and you can move him around and maximize his matchup.

I would love if they draft C.J. Fiedorowicz that would allow us to use this base set –

QB – Brady
RB – Ridley/Vereen
X-WR – Dobson/LaFell
Z-WR – Edelman
Y-TE – Fiedorowicz
Flex-TE – Gronkowski
LT – Solder
LG – Mankins
OC – Wendell/TBD
RG – Connolly/Cannon
RT – Vollmer

Gronk-lite. Gronk is a far better blocker than Hernandez. That's valuable in the run game.

I wouldn't mind using a speedster to take Hernandez's snaps out of the backfield. Boyce seems like the ideal candidate.

If we assume away the one player's issues with character and the other's with injuries, Gronk is by far the most valuable of the two. Having two Gronks playing at once would be great, because Gronk can run routes anywhere on the field.

As long as Gronk Lite has a reasonable subset of that versatility, I have to go with him.

I don't care which position you want to fill...I just detest "lite" anything...lite beer, lite ice cream, lite cigarettes...lite is boolshyt...anything "lite" means you are paying FULL LOAD prices for half the product. You drink beer and you want to pay for "Lite" but you want to get a buzz right? Well, "lite" means LESS alcohol. Bud is 5%, Bud Light is 4.2%. Lite is a SCAM.

I want a FOOTBALL PLAYER THAT EXCEEDS what Hernandez provided, not "lite".

Gronk-Lite and it isn't close. We need a replacement if Gronk isn't available. Having two Gronk's would be awesome and present many mismatches.

Setting aside homicidal tendencies, it was always clear the Gronkowski was a better TE than Hernandez, so I would rather get another Gronk than another Hernandez. However, if I had 2 players of equal skill, 1 of he Gonk type, 1 of the Hernandez type, I would go with Hernandez to compliment Gronk.

I've often thought that the whole move/flex TE "need" to go back to 2TE sets was nothing but a made up piece of fan fiction.

We can take advantage of the hurry up, the ability to switch back and forth from run/pass and vice versa, a better blocking game than Hernandez, and a great red zone target. On top of that, we would also cover our asses if/when Gronkowski misses any time in the future. After watching 3 years in a row of postseason inefficiency due to the loss of our main TE, this definitely should be a concern.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back