• No

Votes: 53 93.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWorldChamps

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I was just looking at our draft picks, and the associated value... Going strictly off a value chart, we could trade our top 5 picks ( a 1, 2, 3, 3, and 4)
and move up to #6 overall...

Just curious, as a fun poll:

IF a seymour-clone (a real, SciFi Clone, not the common usage of the term clone as it is used on football players) was there at #6 (an exact clone of RS as a rookie, who would be guaranteed to have the EXACT career of RS), would you trade our top 5 picks for that guy?

Last edited:
It would be tempting if we could guarantee he'd come through, as your question seems to imply, but this is a very deep draft so that's too many picks for me to trade.

Trading for a player and paying him are two different things. Look at Seymour. He's still on his first contract but he is our third-highest cap cost -- $7.4m (and I don't think anyone thinks that WMcG's higher figure is realistic).

OK, so Seymour's contract was re-done after a hold-out and he is four years in, but still the point remains: top ten draft picks get expensive contracts with no guarantee that they will pay off. Ty Warren, whom we drafted in the teens, has a $2.2m number.

So is it a good idea to use so much ammunition to move up? Given the uncertainties, I really, really doubt it.

I voted yes because you said we would be guaranteed results. Obviously that is not the case.

My opinion is that this would be a TERRIBLE trade. Possibly worst ever.

We will get a quality player with our #1. We have almost always gotten a solid player with our second pick. The other 3, based on history should produce anywhere from 1-3 solid players and most likely at least 1 starter.

There is not a player in this draft, or any other that is worth that much. (I'd say Brady is but hindsight is 20/20 we are talking about a draft pick and the uncertain of what he will become.)

Didn't know the technology had proceeded that far. :rolleyes:

I agree i would not trade the picks for whichever "unknown" is drafted in #6 this year.

My question (and i was very clear, but i knew people would end up changing it) was: you ARE GUARANTEED an EXACT seymour. There is NO unknown involved. That exact seymour would have the EXACT same career, health, attitude, etc.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
I voted yes because you said we would be guaranteed results.
Thanks for at least reading it correctly

mgteich said:
Obviously that is not the case.
If you can clone the dude, then you could also guarantee the results

Last edited:
PatsWorldChamps said:
I agree i would not trade the picks for whichever "unknown" is drafted in #6 this year.

My question (and i was very clear, but i knew people would end up changing it) was: you ARE GUARANTEED an EXACT seymour. There is NO unknown involved. That exact seymour would have the EXACT same career, health, attitude, etc.

My answer is the same.
We drafted
Mankins, Warren, Graham, Watson, Wilfork with our recent #1s.
The other 4 picks, 2s-5s have netted us players such as Light, Kaczur, Koppen, Branch, Hill, Green, Klecko, Samuel, Wilson, Scott, Hobbs.

There is no way 4 players of that caliber (assuming even 2 of the 4 make it) are worth upgrading from Warren or Wilfork to Seymour.

A huge chunk of our team is made up of 2nd-5th ruond picks by BB. I think he needs to continue the plan of GAINING picks in those rounds rather than giving them up.

PatsWorldChamps said:
I was just looking at our draft picks, and the associated value... Going strictly off a value chart, we could trade our top 5 picks ( a 1, 2, 3, 3, and 4)

IF a seymour-clone (a real, SciFi Clone, not the common usage of the term clone as it is used on football players) was there at #6 (an exact clone of RS as a rookie, who would be guaranteed to have the EXACT career of RS), would you trade our top 5 picks for that guy?
NO NO NO NO NO!

AndyJohnson said:
My opinion is that this would be a TERRIBLE trade. Possibly worst ever.

We will get a quality player with our #1. We have almost always gotten a solid player with our second pick. The other 3, based on history should produce anywhere from 1-3 solid players and most likely at least 1 starter.

There is not a player in this draft, or any other that is worth that much. (I'd say Brady is but hindsight is 20/20 we are talking about a draft pick and the uncertain of what he will become.)

Last year I might have said yes, as I took a strong "quality over quantity" position on our draft, feeling like we had very few holes to fill long term and even fewer short term... Andy might remember that debate.

Now, given an ongoing rash of injuries, and a better appreciation for how quickly age and wear and tear can catch up with defensive players (for example - I assumed Ted Johnson would be around for years longer) I'd come down more on the quantity side.

That's not to say we need to be compelled to keep all players we draft - but just knowing that the draft is a crapshoot no matter how good your GM is, and you might need to draft 10 players to get 5 long term quality players.

We've been spoiled by some previous draft success, and have been spoiled by having some key players (Brady, Harrison etc) remain healthy in the past - but I think having a quality Plan B is what can really set teams apart.

PatsWorldChamps said:

Are you really Mike Ditka? :D

AndyJohnson said:
My answer is the same.
We drafted
The other 4 picks, 2s-5s have netted us players such as Light, Kaczur, Koppen, Branch, Hill, Green, Klecko, Samuel, Wilson, Scott, Hobbs.

There is no way 4 players of that caliber (assuming even 2 of the 4 make it) are worth upgrading from Warren or Wilfork to Seymour.

A huge chunk of our team is made up of 2nd-5th ruond picks by BB. I think he needs to continue the plan of GAINING picks in those rounds rather than giving them up.
Not arguing with your decision, but if you're gonna include the 1-4's back to Light, then you need to include: Brock Williams, Kenyetta Jones, Rohan Davey, Reid, Cobbs, Bethel Johnson and Marquise Hill; and remove koppen (we'd still keep one 4, and our 5 under my scenario.
Additionally, our last few drafts have been outstanding. It would be tough to repeat that success.

Last edited:
No we don't need a Clone

We have Seymour.

We do not need another DL so why pay so much for one..

Trading all 5 picks to get Reggie Bush - now thats another story...

I would rather have the depth than the one player.

AndyJohnson said:
My answer is the same.
We drafted

So you're saying, assuming 2 of the 4 make it, you would rather have Wilfork, Wilson and Green rather than Seymour. I think that would be true if we were the Browns, Saints, or Jets. But for a team like the Pats, who have outstanding depth, I would rather have Seymour. Of course I wouldn't do this every year. But if you have a chance to get a GUARANTEED annual All-NFL DL, I think it's worth losing 1 draft class.

The answer should be NO. If history has taught us anything it has shown that when mutiple players are traded for one player the team with the one player usually suffers remember Minnesota and Dallas in the Hershel Walker trade results Dallas won Three Super Bowls and another example Thw Washington and New Orleans trade for Ricky Williams well Mike Ditka got fired.

I can't even believe that someone would call themselves a Patriots fan and suggest this sort of moronic trade. It failed for Ditka and cost him his job and put the Saints in a pretty bad swoon that they still haven't really recovered from.

Sorry, one player is NOT worth 5 draft picks.

I can't believe 4 people actually vote yes on this poll.:eek:

That would be an especially short-sighted deal considering this year's draft class is so strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back