PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you make this trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very little on the internet makes me mad. Getting called names, people who hold grudges, having entire forums hate me - these things are nothing.

But ************, how flippant some of you guys are about jettisoning Brady is killing me. I'm almost starting to get mad.

I honestly wonder at the ages of people who are discussing this. I'm teetering on my 40s and became a fan the beginning of the year the Pats went to SB XX. I've been through some hard times. I quit being a fan for 2 months after Ray Berry opted to go for Eason over Flutie and Flutie walked. I came back before the season started, but still, I've seen some **** times.

I guess that's why I'd endure a lot of losing to give Brady a better send off than what Peyton Manning got with Indy. After all Brady has done for this franchise and its fanbase by extension I cannot imagine how betrayed he would feel to be traded to St. Louis for some picks.

I'm not really mad, I'm just more...shocked I guess. If Tom Brady doesn't deserve some leeway with fans then I guess nobody ever will and it just makes me sad.

Well said, Brother Bogart. :cool:

Some guys are so intimately a part of the team's History that trading them is an Atrocity.

And the fact that Brady could ~ Oh, by the way ~ be the most important part of our winning 3 or 4 of the next 5 Super Bowls sort'f adds to the appeal of saying FUNK THAT to this notion of trading'm...in MY view. ;)

another one of these threads...man people are bored during the off season :bricks:

To be fair, at some point, probably closer than we would all like, the Patriots will no longer have Tom Brady as the QB. The question will be whether they ride him all the way to retirement (like John Elway or Dan Marino) or if they say adieu and make a transition while Brady still has some quality life left in him (like Peyton Manning or Joe Montana). It's a fascinating question, I think.

Very little on the internet makes me mad. Getting called names, people who hold grudges, having entire forums hate me - these things are nothing.

But ************, how flippant some of you guys are about jettisoning Brady is killing me. I'm almost starting to get mad.

I honestly wonder at the ages of people who are discussing this. I'm teetering on my 40s and became a fan the beginning of the year the Pats went to SB XX. I've been through some hard times. I quit being a fan for 2 months after Ray Berry opted to go for Eason over Flutie and Flutie walked. I came back before the season started, but still, I've seen some **** times.

I guess that's why I'd endure a lot of losing to give Brady a better send off than what Peyton Manning got with Indy. After all Brady has done for this franchise and its fanbase by extension I cannot imagine how betrayed he would feel to be traded to St. Louis for some picks.

I'm not really mad, I'm just more...shocked I guess. If Tom Brady doesn't deserve some leeway with fans then I guess nobody ever will and it just makes me sad.

They think that replacing HOF player's is as easy as reading a Kiper Mock Draft.

I think Brady is going to be extended and play at a high level for 4 more years and retire as a Patriot. I also think that there are too many Patriot fans who don't appreciate and don't respect their greatest players and talk about getting rid of them as though they are JAGS easily replaced by the draft and fantasy geniuses they anoint themselves to be.

1. I'm fully on board with continuing the build the team around Brady as he's still playing at GOAT level. I don't want him traded any time soon.

2. If it becomes evident that he's declining ala Manning in 2010, I would hope that the team would entertain good trade offers from other teams.

3. The fact that we seemingly don't have that replacement in the wings like a Rodgers or a Young should cement point #2.

Hopefully the mods create a sub forum for this garbage because the rest of Brady's career is going to be a pain in the @ss if we have to listen to this drivel for the next 4-5 years, and since people are already talking about Brdgewater and Manziel it is clear that is exactly what will happen.

Why is it garbage again? Aside from Illegal Contact who, for whatever reason wants to jettison Brady now while the guy is still at the top of his game, the rest of us are discussing what could possibly happen in the next 4-5 years. I get it that some people are sentimental. I knew I would get that type venomous reponse before I made my first post in this thread. But, football is a business. If Brady goes into decline in the next 4-5 years (something that, whether it pains you to admit or not, could very well happen), I don't see why the team wouldn't explore trade options.

To be fair, at some point, probably closer than we would all like, the Patriots will no longer have Tom Brady as the QB. The question will be whether they ride him all the way to retirement (like John Elway) or if they say adieu and make a transition while Brady still has some quality life left in him (like Peyton Manning). It's a fascinating question, I think.

Fair Answer, Sir. :cool:

But, again, as it cannot be oversaid:

1 ~ If the Team is in Decay...OR...

2 ~ If the Team is fundamentally decrepid and unable to compete for Championships...

By all means: Burn it ALL down.

Scorched EARTH, Baby...in the correct sense of the term. :D

But...

As it turns out...

We happen to have ~ arguably ~ the greatest Head Coach of ALL TIME....AND...arguably...the greatest QUARTERBACK of All Time...IN HOUSE.

And it turns out that ~ rather than a state of decay ~ this 53 is ON THE RISE.

The notion of tearing out the most important Player on that 53...JUST when we're on the brink of a possibly INSANE 3-5 year run of sweet DOMINANCE...is nuttier than SQUIRREL Schytte.

Fair Answer, Sir. :cool:

But, again, as it cannot be oversaid:

1 ~ If the Team is in Decay...OR...

2 ~ If the Team is fundamentally decrepid and unable to compete for Championships...

By all means: Burn it ALL down.

Scorched EARTH, Baby...in the correct sense of the term. :D

But...

As it turns out...

We happen to have ~ arguably ~ the greatest Head Coach of ALL TIME....AND...arguably...the greatest QUARTERBACK of All Time...IN HOUSE.

And it turns out that ~ rather than a state of decay ~ this 53 is ON THE RISE.

The notion of tearing out the most important Player on that 53...JUST when we're on the brink of a possibly INSANE 3-5 year run of sweet DOMINANCE...is nuttier than SQUIRREL Schytte.

I can accept that too. I guess it depends on whether or not you believe that the team can compete for championships with a declining Brady.

Great topic.

My answer: as a fan, NO!

If I were BB, NO!

Why? Because I'm not sold about the 2013 draft class.

Post this topic next year.
And my answer, maybe, will be YES.

Why? Clowney, Manziel and McCarron.

I am the biggest advocate of trades and FA but I feel TB still has three more productive years.

If we opt for Johnny Football will take three years to get it right, So we are sol for three years as far as offense goes.

Cousin I know there will be a time, but TB was still rated as the #1 QB in the NFL this year even if he did not play as good as the past.

I would be curious to see if he did not have a anti-trade clause as well.

BB might have known this was a crap class and didn't cherish picks for 2013 like he has. Correct me if I am wrong, will we pick up a #3 comp for Benny and a #4 for Anderson? Any Cousin have an idea?

I am a firm believer that there is not a better 2013 QB in this years class over Mallett. If you could get a bunch of picks do so. TB I still think there is time in next years Draft etc.

Thoughts on this as your #3 QB . Cassel will be cut. Can McDaniels reclaim that train wreck? Then maybe more reason to get the moon for Mallett.

Is there a talented FA QB sitting that is being ignored that might have skills? We still need After Tom QB choices. Right now it is Mallett.
DW Toys

It's funny you posted this..I have been thinking of this exact scenario but I was afraid I would get banned :eek:

I'm shocked my initial mental meandering would get such a response. I must have touched the third rail of Patriot football. I am not at all flippant about trading Tom Brady, and I fully respect and appreciate what he's contributed to the football team I've been rooting for since 1971.

When did the Patriots and Bill Belichick in particular become sentimental about things. The only Patriot jersey I've ever owned is a #93 my nephews bought me because they knew how much I liked and appreciated Richard Seymour who I thought was the straw that stirred the drink for a defense which was the driving force on teams that won 3 SBs in his first 4 years.

My #93 jersey is still in my closet, but I've not worn it in years. If anyone thinks the Patriots are going to afford any more leeway to Brady than they did Seymour, you're kidding yourselves.

BTW no team even for Brady is going to give the Pats the #1 pick in 2014 for a chance a Johnny Football.

This is pretty much the winning answer. If the Patriots were struggling to "rebuild" in the years after losing Bruschi-Seymour-Rodney-Vrabel in the same season, then maybe you think about it. But, simply from a cold, hard "let's win" mentality, taking a franchise QB from a team that has gone 14-2, 13-3 and 12-4 (clearly in decline!) the past three seasons, doesn't make sense. The Patriots need a few patches, not a tear down.

I am not offended by the question.

It's a business.

Red Auerbach mentioned that he struggled with the fact that a couple of years after Bird / McHale / Parrish / DJ and others had won their last championship and the team was sliding but not by any means a non-contender, he was presented many offers of multiple picks and young players for each of the "Big 3".

He mentioned that he didn't make the trades, and to some extent it was because it just didn't feel right to pull the trigger. As a result, when the the team did bottom out, the bottom was way way lower and lasted longer than he imagined it would be. Though that freefall was aided by bad luck (Bias, Reggie Lewis).

Red realized it never really pays to be too sentimental. If he wondered in hindsight if trading Larry Bird should have been on the table rather than off it, then a more cold-blooded analyst such as Bill Belichick might just have some thoughts of a similar nature for Tom. It would have to be an amazing offer, though, and in this draft #6 and #38, and worse next year, are not "all that".

Plus as Off the Grid states, we ain't sliding anywhere. We're a Porche that needs polish, not a new engine.

My #93 jersey is still in my closet, but I've not worn it in years. If anyone thinks the Patriots are going to afford any more leeway to Brady than they did Seymour, you're kidding yourselves.

Apples and oranges. Good lord.

This is pretty much the winning answer. If the Patriots were struggling to "rebuild" in the years after losing Bruschi-Seymour-Rodney-Vrabel in the same season, then maybe you think about it. But, simply from a cold, hard "let's win" mentality, taking a franchise QB from a team that has gone 14-2, 13-3 and 12-4 (clearly in decline!) the past three seasons, doesn't make sense. The Patriots need a few patches, not a tear down.

who is talking about a tear down?

teams quarterbacked by andy dalton and christian ponder are making the playoffs......3 teams with rookie QB's made the playoffs.....so a 'tear down' is a bit of drama going on.......unless you mean to say that the rest of the pats roster sucks so bad and the coach does too.

Hopefully the mods create a sub forum for this garbage because the rest of Brady's career is going to be a pain in the @ss if we have to listen to this drivel for the next 4-5 years, and since people are already talking about Brdgewater and Manziel it is clear that is exactly what will happen.

I agree with Kontra, what is so bad about discussing that? if (big if) the Pats acquired a top 3 pick in the 2014 draft somehow, you wouldn't entertain it?

Who wants the next RGIII/Wilson (Manziel) or Luck/Rodgers (Bridgewater) anyway right?

Well said, Brother Bogart. :cool:

Some guys are so intimately a part of the team's History that trading them is an Atrocity.

And the fact that Brady could ~ Oh, by the way ~ be the most important part of our winning 3 or 4 of the next 5 Super Bowls sort'f adds to the appeal of saying FUNK THAT to this notion of trading'm...in MY view. ;)

ain't happenin' regardless of who the pats have at QB.......you need to ease up on that train of thought

who is talking about a tear down?

teams quarterbacked by andy dalton and christian ponder are making the playoffs......3 teams with rookie QB's made the playoffs.....so a 'tear down' is a bit of drama going on.......unless you mean to say that the rest of the pats roster sucks so bad and the coach does too.

I'm pretty sure I said the exact opposite of what you perhaps think I said.

I agree with Kontra, what is so bad about discussing that? if (big if) the Pats acquired a top 3 pick in the 2014 draft somehow, you wouldn't entertain it?

Who wants the next RGIII/Wilson (Manziel) or Luck/Rodgers (Bridgewater) anyway right?

to some people, it's really bad.......4 high draft picks for a 36 year old QB who will be around for 2 years tops.....people have this fantasy that brady while being as loaded as can be, is going to risk long term health by continuing to get hit when he's 38,39,40 years old. watch them turn on BB by blaming him the moment brady stand up and says I'm done after next season or so.....

what's more realistic is that there are likely no teams out there that would entertain that trade

I'm pretty sure I said the exact opposite of what you perhaps think I said.

no.....if you are implying that trading brady constitutes a tear down, then that's exactly what you're saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back