PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you make this trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
teams who do that tend to have 'dark ages' for a long period of time......you get while the getting is good......brady is likely gone in 2 years tops anyway....how would you NOT do this?

I'd dare to say that brady would not make the browns a playoff team, so next year's picks would be pretty good, too.....

the league is changing.......7 of the playoff QB's are on their rookie deals.......5 of them were rookies or 2nd year guys.

you transition when the opportunity best presents itself......holding on for life until the bitter end will result in a slow painful death and then a fandom that will get to stare at a corpse for a long while until there is a rebirth

You realize how stupid that idea is? Brady is carrying this team. We don't have some top ranked Ds to carry some young QB - like it is the case for those other teams.

And tell me...aside from making the playoffs in like forever what the **** have those other new school teams done? We almost won a SB last year and were in the AFC championship game this year. Some bad injuries and drops might have been the deciding factor in losing.

We're in the Packers situation. We either hope to develop QB who can take over or start from scratch. The picks we might get for Brady won't be high enough and NONE of them is a guarantee.

You also have a young QB in Ryan Mallett who after working with him on and off the practice field for two years you think will be an excellent NFL QB capable of consistently quarterbacking his team into the playoffs and winning a championship with a good enough team around him.

Here is the crux of your argument. We as fans at this point in time can not make the assumption above so I think all of us would rather Brady than the unknown. But I will say this if BB truly thought Mallet was a SB winning caliber QB than one would have to seriously consider the idea. But not yet because of Mallets contract this doesnt need to be done until next year not that I am advocating any such thing but if one were to entertain the idea next year would make more sense.

Free agency cannot get here fast enough...

Like randomk1 said^,

The teams with 1st/2nd year QBs have great defenses and well balanced offenses to help carry their team. Brady has most of the weight on his shoulders.

We need to resign one of either Talib/Welker and then get either a top CB/WR through FA and draft smartly and we're back in the big game next year IMO.

You realize how stupid that idea is? Brady is carrying this team. We don't have some top ranked Ds to carry some young QB - like it is the case for those other teams.

And tell me...aside from making the playoffs in like forever what the **** have those other new school teams done? We almost won a SB last year and were in the AFC championship game this year. Some bad injuries and drops might have been the deciding factor in losing.

We're in the Packers situation. We either hope to develop QB who can take over or start from scratch. The picks we might get for Brady won't be high enough and NONE of them is a guarantee.

Brady is playing at GOAT level still. There is no question about that. And I'm on board with building a bigger, more physical defense to get him back over the hump. But he's approaching 40 years old. At some point in the near future, the team is going to begin entertaining trades. Hopefully not one like in the OP. That hypothetical was moronic.

Some people seriously overvalue draft picks. This is an insane idea.

i love the draft but this stuff is just idiotic.

Practice squad material Mods

It's the off season. During the season it would be automatic but we will let this float as long as replies don't get too nasty, or in the case of a recent trade speculation thread, the OP doesn't get too sensitive or take himself too seriously.

so here is my reaction to the idea:

The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

I respectfully disagree.

It was eloquently presented, thoughtfully crafted, and objectively presented.

The fact that it's an Abomination is beside the point. :snob:

Mussolini got the trains running on time. Not worth keeping though.

At some point shouldn't you care more about watching a legend finish his career with the team that he was key to bringing over a decade of dominant play than milking every dime out of his value and discarding him like a used up whore?

If the Team was in Decay, I'd trade everybody, Hall of Famers and Legends included.

Scorched Earth, Baby!! :rocker:

...in the correct sense of the term. :snob:

But trading the GOAT In Training of a perennial Super Bowl contender that's ascendent??? :eek:

Um.

NO.

Lol seriously I applaud the effort you put into it but trading the G.O.A.T for a bunch of unprovens while this team is still in serious contention to win the superbowl every year is dumb, plain an simple. There isnt one player in the NFL I'd trade Brady for. Not one.

People are saying no for the wrong reasons. Its not because Brady is the face of the franchise and a guy we all love. It's because you can't take for granted having quarterback play at his level. People are so used to Brady having monster seasons now that he was completely dismissed from MVP voting because he didn't throw 80 TDs.

Even if it was the #1 overall pick and Andrew Luck was on the board I'd be hard pressed to do that. Winning a championship is hard. You can't just assume we'll be able to build a championship contender around a prospect because you have a few extra draft picks. We have a 4 year, maybe 5 year window with Brady depending how Mayo/Spikes/Gronkowski/Hernandez/McCourty/Dennard/Hightower/Chandler pan out. I like our chances with that nucleus. You take the 4 year window with Brady and then hope to figure something out in the future.

At some point shouldn't you care more about watching a legend finish his career with the team that he was key to bringing over a decade of dominant play than milking every dime out of his value and discarding him like a used up whore?

I'm sure we would all love to watch Brady continue to play at this level until age 41 when he wins his last Super Bowl and rides off into the sunset. But, at some point within the next couple of years, he begins to decline, then the possibility of a trade should be considered for the better of the team.

You know what Belichick says about fools who deal in hypotheticals...

If Ian ever does get around to re-writing the posting rules here, attempting to slip trade Brady threads into this forum through the hypothetical back door should be a ban worthy offense.

I so sorry I offended the almighty Mo by basically taking the time to think out loud on a fan football forum. Perish the thought! Another enlightened poster compared my original post to Benito Mussolini. Hmmm, banning the expression of thought you don't agree with or attacking it with demagogic nonsense. That sounds very Mussolini to me.

another one of these threads...man people are bored during the off season :bricks:

I'm sure we would all love to watch Brady continue to play at this level until age 41 when he wins his last Super Bowl and rides off into the sunset. But, at some point within the next couple of years, he begins to decline, then the possibility of a trade should be considered for the better of the team.

I just can't get behind this mercenary mindset.

Tom Brady should mean something that transcends the need to worry about winning games next year.

I'd rather watch this team have a couple extra losing seasons than watch them jettison the best QB we've ever had and one of the best all-time just so we can draft Ryan Tannehill Jr.

Tom Brady should mean something that transcends the need to worry about winning games next year.

I'd rather watch this team have a couple extra losing seasons than watch them jettison the best QB we've ever had and one of the best all-time just so we can draft Ryan Tannehill Jr.

I can't wait to see the "usual suspects" shred me for this but.........

There is NO loyalty in football. It's a business. At some point in the future if you can get something of value in return for Brady, I would be all for it. I am a fan of and loyal to the New England Patriots....not player A or B.....Brady or not. I would not rather watch "a couple extra losing seasons" just to hold Brady. I would take the value while you can. Not saying that means this year or next, but eventually.

That's fine. And I can certainly understand that mindset. But if trading Brady nets us draft picks including, possibly, #1 overall when it's clear he's going into decline, then I'm all for it.

Growing up in South Florida, I remember the central debate surrounding Marino as his career was coming to a close back in the 90's. One side wanted to dangle him as trade bait and the other side wanted him to finish his career a Dolphin as he was still playing at a high level. Turns out, the first side was probably right. As it stands, Marino declined more and more every year until, eventually, the Dolphins (under his watch) were stomped by Coughlin's Jaguars to the tune of (IIRC) 62-7. After that, Marino retired and the Dolphins haven't been all that revelant since. Brady has the mental aspect of football down more than the greaseball, but it still doesn't mean he won't decline. You can be as smart as you want but, eventually, a 40 year old man isn't going to be able to play with men in their 20's. If it appears that decline is imminent, I'd rather get the draft picks and rob another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes