PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you have kept Vrabel for $4.3M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Belichick didn't have Vrabel in our long term plans, or couldn't out an extension at an acceptable price. $1M bonus was due on Sunday. Would you have paid the bonus, and presumably kept Vrabel for the season at a total of $4.3M?

Last edited:
As the roster stands tonight I would. Woods played fine in place of Thomas, he should play fine in place of Vrabel. And we do have TBC, Crable and Redd as backups but that's not proven depth. As we're now about $20M under the cap I would have kept him but if they feel OK with the young guys I can see why they would move on.

With 29M tied up in QB's (which was the case at the time), I would. Lots of good LB's in the draft this year. Sure, some might not see the field right away, but then again, Posluszny was picked at 34 ;) and was pretty much an out of the box guy and one of the few Bills defensive guys I wouldn't mind having.

On the initial question, backed against the cap. NO. If we had plenty of room (which we didn't), let him play out his contract knowing your overpaying for a great guy that has done a lot for you.

Also, if I need some of his money for big Vince................... TOTALLY GONE.

Last edited:
NO. I'm sorry. I like Vrabs, but last year he looked very slow, and that wouldve been a bigger problem this year. I would rather see that money go to someone who provides a better pash rush.

NO. I'm sorry. I like Vrabs, but last year he looked very slow, and that wouldve been a bigger problem this year. I would rather see that money go to someone who provides a better pash rush.

The Pats philosophy on cutting/releasing/trading/not resigning players has always been, " better a year too early than a year too late" (See Adam V. for example) and I think this was true for Vrabel. He may have something left in the tank but by including him in the trade, it eliminates the tough decision of whether to cut him this year or next. It's now KC's decision. It benefits the Pats by removing that tough decision while clearing cap space and sweetening the deal for a top of the second round pick....

Last edited:
Yes. Who else is going to play that position at even Vrabel's decreased level? He's still better then TBC and Alexander.

This discussion is premature, as pretty confident that there is a viable plan to replace him... ask again in about a week.. the reality is that Vrabel is worth more to the chiefs than he was to the Pats.. see Willie.

As a fan, I would have kept Vrabes because I as a fan liked the player and thought he just had an off injury limiting year.

As a rational observer I have to say that the Pats had much better insight into Vrabes' worth and ability to contribute this season, better assessment of their younger, faster alternatives at OLB, and much better insight into the cap needs of the team relating to re-signing fat guys like Wilfie, etc. The Pats execs did the right thing. And it was also the respectful thing. Other vets past their shelf date should note well how Vrabes was taken care of.

Nope. He's in an advanced state on the downside of his career. Remember the Super Bowl against the Giants where his name was barely mentioned? That was contrary to what he's always done in the big games--show up big.

Last year the average OT kept him at bay play after play. There's a lot of mileage in those legs. People here probably don't realize how much he played at Ohio State. He had a couple of off years with Pittsburgh, but now the ravages of age have hampered his abilities.

It was time to move on. It's business as Rodney Harrison says, and that salary cap hit was too large.

Win-win: KC gets a great locker room presence to teach the fellas how to get it done.

No. The only play I remember of 2008 was the Lebron James interception of Big Ben.

Yes. Who else is going to play that position at even Vrabel's decreased level? He's still better then TBC and Alexander.

That's how I feel. Vrabel was still the starter, and I don't think anyone wants to go into TC with Woods or TBC as the starter. Espeically considering our pass rush last year.

That's how I feel. Vrabel was still the starter, and I don't think anyone wants to go into TC with Woods or TBC as the starter. Espeically considering our pass rush last year.

Vrabel's is better now than Woods or TBC will ever be. What did the guy ever do to deserve getting dumped like that? Did they even go to him with a restructuring offer? I bet he would have done something. Plus they got absolutely NOTHING for him!!!!

Vrabel's is better now than Woods or TBC will ever be. What did the guy ever do to deserve getting dumped like that? Did they even go to him with a restructuring offer? I bet he would have done something. Plus they got absolutely NOTHING for him!!!!

They got $4.3 million to spend on someone else, you should know by now this is not done without a lot of thought.. it is similar to Willie to Cleveland.. they were both worth more to the new team then they are to the old team.

This is part of a bigger plan, and I suspect the team that we field in Sept. will not be near the bottom in Red Zone Defense...

It all depends on what your plan is. From the looks of it the Patriots may be aiming to make a marquis transaction and get younger on the defensive side on the ball. If I'm trying to execute this plan, no I would not keep him. By trading Vrabel you free up cap space as well as room on the defensive roster for coveted player.

People need to forget about this "keep him around for mentoring" nonsense. There are enough vets on this team and the last thing we need is a couple of 3-4 linebackers that are breaking down. Vrabel's back has been getting worse and Bru should be next. I love the guys but you can't keep them around because you like them. If they were 3rd year players and played at the level they played at last year, you'd be looking for an upgrade. I'd rather the team be ruthless on the field and in terms of improving the team. If they want you, they'll treat you right. If they don't, they'll cut you lose and never say a bad word about you. That's exactly what I want.

Last edited:
People need to forget about this "keep him around for mentoring" nonsense. There are enough vets on this team and the last thing we need is a couple of 3-4 linebackers that are breaking down. Vrabel's back has been getting worse and Bru should be next. I love the guys but you can't keep them around because you like them. If they were 3rd year players and played at the level they played at last year, you'd be looking for an upgrade. I'd rather the team be ruthless on the field and in terms of improving the team. If they want you, they'll treat you right. If they don't, they'll cut you lose and never say a bad word about you. That's exactly what I want.

This is called good NFL business in the salary cap era... it is what the Pat's do best.

belichick didn't have vrabel in our long term plans, or couldn't out an extension at an acceptable price. $1m bonus was due on sunday. Would you have paid the bonus, and presumably kept vrabel for the season at a total of $4.3m?

of course not.

Last edited:

Deserves got nothing to do with it. It was a business decision.

He was a great player here. He is just another guy at this point. You don't use 4.3m in cap space on a guy like him when you are trying to win the Super Bowl.

They got immediate cap-space, which is being underrated by a lot of you.

As for him "deserving" anything, THEY DID HIM A FAVOR by trading him to a team he can make an impact on, and will now be giving him the 1 MILLION DOLLAR BONUS he wouldn't have gotten when we cut him - which would have been TOMORROW.

Smarten up, people. Let's raise the game.

Did they even go to him with a restructuring offer? I bet he would have done something.

Ted, you're not getting it or ignoring other posts. Restructuring moves the cap number around It's doesn't make it go away.

Plus they got absolutely NOTHING for him!!!!
[/QUOTE]

Getting rid of his salary was the plus. NOTHING is needed in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down