PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you give up the 2nd round pick for Percy Harvin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on what decision they have made regarding Welker. Although I would love to see both here I don't believe they would do that. If they have decided to move on from Welker then I would give their first for Harvin if he has a long term deal in place. Players who have proven they can play at a really high level in the NFL are almost always worth the pick, which is a crapshoot even in the best of circumstances. Harvin gives them many of Welker's attributes with more explosiveness. Harvin also gives them a little more flexibility in terms of his abilities outside.

I want Welker here for the rest of Brady's career but if that isn't going to happen then Harvin is not only the best other option but the most possible option. The Larry Fitzgerald idea is a pipedream and I wouldn't take Boldin unless he was low rent. He had a great play-off run but his season overall was really mediocre.

If they can sign him to a deal of somewhere around 5 yrs 50 million I would do this. I'd give Welker the same deal if he was 24-28 years old.

Very explosive player out of the slot, can go deep and a valuable threat on special teams every time he touches the ball. Put Demps beside him and that is a nice duo back

It all comes down to if the Vikings allow the Pats to negotiate a deal. I'm not giving a 2nd rounder for a 1 year rental.

The only way I'd support obtaining Harvin is if a long term deal could be established as part of the deal. Otherwise, as another poster has stated, we would be in rough shape a year from now.

Having said that, Harvin is one of the few talents that could replace Welker and may come a bit cheaper.

I would be happy with a the following

Lloyd
Harvin
Edelman/Rookie WR

Hopefully that rookie RB would then be able to step in for Lloyd in a year or two.

But a long term deal for Harvin is a must.

The other consideration if if you go after Harvin, you are using a high pick on him. Which means you are using a later pick on the rookie WR. Developmental projects, which that late WR would be, dont always work out.

I would still prefer Lloyd Welker Edelman for 2013-14.

Wow, thought the pats had 20 million in cap space. Just read on this board that they have 14 million. That changes things quite a bit. Can't see how they would fit a deal with either Welker or Harvin along with signing either Talib or Vollmer. Not to mention all the unsung contributing players that are viable to success here. There would have to be some serious restructuring somewhere to make things happen.

Re: Harvin likely to be on the trading block

Sign the beast!

A one year rental that's an injury risk. No thanks.

o2aMNbY.gif

If the Patriots could trade Ryan Mallett to the Browns for at least a second round pick and if Harvin agreed to a long term extension on that trade then absolutely. If not, no thanks.

No more midgets please

Wow, thought the pats had 20 million in cap space. Just read on this board that they have 14 million. That changes things quite a bit. Can't see how they would fit a deal with either Welker or Harvin along with signing either Talib or Vollmer. Not to mention all the unsung contributing players that are viable to success here. There would have to be some serious restructuring somewhere to make things happen.

The 14 million dollar number that you see today is after the 4 million or so that it will take to sign the rookies, although that bridge can be crossed in the summertime.

Both numbers are correct to some degree, but the closer projection would be about 18 million at the moment.

Like I said, guys will be cut to clear up some space (Fells could free up another million), and guys will be added--so it's an ever changing exercise.

There are also potential extensions for both Brady and Wilfork (definitely at least Brady, as his cap hit needs to be restructured this yr), which would be beneficial to the cap space this year too, so there are the usual amount of options that we see every single year.

If the Patriots could trade Ryan Mallett to the Browns for at least a second round pick and if Harvin agreed to a long term extension on that trade then absolutely. If not, no thanks.

Not sure if you saw this story or not today, but apparently the word out of CLE is that they are going to pass on Mallett. Not sure how much merit this has, but I figured I'd pass it along in case you didn't get a chance to read it.

Browns aren’t expected to try to trade for Ryan Mallett | ProFootballTalk

It basically postpones the 'Welker' decision for a year if you let Welker go and keep Harvin, at the cost of a second round pick. To keep Harvin moving forward is probably going to cost something similar to what Welker would cost, only for more years.

Huge cost there. Un-Patriot-like to invest so heavily in someone from outside the organization.

I'd expect them to tag Welker again before they trade a 2nd for a 1 year rental.

It depends on what decision they have made regarding Welker. Although I would love to see both here I don't believe they would do that. If they have decided to move on from Welker then I would give their first for Harvin if he has a long term deal in place. Players who have proven they can play at a really high level in the NFL are almost always worth the pick, which is a crapshoot even in the best of circumstances. Harvin gives them many of Welker's attributes with more explosiveness. Harvin also gives them a little more flexibility in terms of his abilities outside.

I want Welker here for the rest of Brady's career but if that isn't going to happen then Harvin is not only the best other option but the most possible option. The Larry Fitzgerald idea is a pipedream and I wouldn't take Boldin unless he was low rent. He had a great play-off run but his season overall was really mediocre.

So was his QB's. Until the playoffs which followed the OC change...

No way I'm investing a 1 and a double digit contract in a guy I've never seen perform in this system. Let alone one with some issues that impact his practice and playing time who was such a pain in the ass his coach IR'd him.

Vikings' Percy Harvin, Leslie Frazier reportedly clashed - NFL.com

I'd rather use that pick to draft a WR, DE, or corner/safety.

He has head issues more way than one. The whole migraine thing scares the hell outta me. I doubt he would be much of a headcase here but the headaches would concern me.

He has head issues more way than one. The whole migraine thing scares the hell outta me. I doubt he would be much of a headcase here but the headaches would concern me.
Supposedly the migraine problem has been fixed. He had sleep apnea and is now being treated for it.

I'd rather have Markus Wheaton at a fraction of the price

No.

But I would give up the 29th pick for Larry Fitzgerald (provided we don't re-sign Welker) and a minor restructure.

Also, sign David Nelson FA from Buffalo. He tore his ACL in week one of 2012, but I have a real good feeling about him if he were to land in New England (young, big, physical, enough speed, and affordable).

on an unrelated note: what the hell are the vikings doing?

i wouldn't want to be near AP when he hears this news

So was his QB's. Until the playoffs which followed the OC change...

No way I'm investing a 1 and a double digit contract in a guy I've never seen perform in this system. Let alone one with some issues that impact his practice and playing time who was such a pain in the ass his coach IR'd him.

Vikings' Percy Harvin, Leslie Frazier reportedly clashed - NFL.com

Hernandez played with him at Florida and has had no problems digesting this system. I agree that Harvin isn't the poster child for great behavior but I don't think he's a real problem and i have always believed that Belichick really wanted him in that draft. And, as i said before, I would only do it if they were letting Welker walk. There is no other way they come even close to offsetting the loss of Welker's production, and simply allowing that big of a hole to go without a real fill is about the worst thing that could happen to this team this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes