PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you draft Groves at 9 or 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
If the Pats traded down a few spots with either Cin or NO would you feel comfortable with taking Groves at the 9 or 10 spot, is it too high for him? Thats if Gholston's gone but we still have the choice of selecting any of the corners....

Last edited:
If the Pats traded down a few spots with either Cin or NO would you feel comfortable with taking Groves at the 9 or 10 spot, is it too high for him? Thats if Gholston's gone but we still have the choice of selecting any of the corners....

NO! But that's just me.

Ideally I wouldn't mind dropping back a few more spots to take him. But if we took him there, I wouldn't complain. Honestly, I'm not big on taking any corner in the top-10 so if not Groves or Gholston or anyone else among the concensus top-7 players, I don't know who I would take.

NO! But that's just me.

Ooh! Actual debate! :)

Tell us why, Nut! I'd be pretty content with a dangerous pass rusher and a flip of 2nd rounders, so I'm very curious to hear your thinking.

Nooooooooooooo! He is no worth top 20 or even first round.

Weaknesses:
Extremely inconsistent and lacks a great motor...Undersized and doesn't have the ideal bulk that you look for..Isn't stout at the point...Marginal instincts, awareness and recognition...Limited pass rush repertoire...Too aggressive at times...Slow off the line...Has trouble shedding blocks...Poor technique..A questionable work ethic.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/quentingroves.html

Is not physical and takes too many plays off. Not competitive. Marginal chase speed and effort. Does not play with great awareness and loses contain. Has questionable character and will need to be managed closely.

-Pro Football Weekly (Draft magazine)

Last edited:
Well of course he's going to be bad if you ONLY quote the weaknesses!

He was productive as a starter at Auburn, providing most of the pass rush against top-notch competition. He’s a ferocious pass rusher and can play the run.

http://www.daltondailycitizen.com/columns/local_story_096153633.html

At the Scouting Combine in February, Groves said he started two games at outside linebacker in Auburn's 4-3 scheme his senior season and indicated he was open to becoming a 3-4 linebacker at the NFL level - a question several teams posed to him. "I think all nine asked me, 'Would you go to outside linebacker?' " said Groves in February. "I told them, 'Without a doubt, if you need me to play it, I'll play it.
Confirmed 4.53 40 yd at combine, Ranked #2 overall OLB.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=16980

"I showed I could drop. I showed I could catch. I showed I could do the defensive line drills," he said.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/1205226976297570.xml&coll=3

And I'm sure there's more out there with even better examples. I didn't even search for clips. But you get the idea. You can find both good and bad points in any prospect, but at the end of the day, Groves runs a 4.5 40 and had a very productive career sacking and terrorizing QBs at the college level. Ask yourself, if that could be of value to this team.

Bottom line is what BB&SP think instead what you or I think...I hope we do get passrusher....Alot people talking about Avril(?) the guard....

It seems like a lot of places rate him lower than we do. I wonder if we will be able to trade our second rounder and either our late 3rd or 4th rounder high enough to get him.

I have my mind made up I have 10 prospects I can accept us taking anywhere in the first round.
In no particular order.
1. Groves
2. Gholston
3.Long
4. Long
5. Clady
6. Rivers
7. Albert
8.Harvey
9. Merling
10. Avril

Anybody else i am greatly dissapointed no Defensive back, no Wide receiver , or running back is worth taking in the first round unless with a trade down.

I really like Groves and would love to see him on the Pats. I don't know how we don't draft at least a couple LBs and I think he'll be available maybe even into the teens/maybe early 20s. Gut feeling that there will be a rush on pass rushers based on how the Giants beat the Pats. We need to get one of the better ones and hopefully that's totally doable with either the 7th overall pick or the value of that translated into later picks.

Well of course he's going to be bad if you ONLY quote the weaknesses!

He was productive as a starter at Auburn, providing most of the pass rush against top-notch competition. He’s a ferocious pass rusher and can play the run.

http://www.daltondailycitizen.com/columns/local_story_096153633.html

At the Scouting Combine in February, Groves said he started two games at outside linebacker in Auburn's 4-3 scheme his senior season and indicated he was open to becoming a 3-4 linebacker at the NFL level - a question several teams posed to him. "I think all nine asked me, 'Would you go to outside linebacker?' " said Groves in February. "I told them, 'Without a doubt, if you need me to play it, I'll play it.
Confirmed 4.53 40 yd at combine, Ranked #2 overall OLB.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=16980

"I showed I could drop. I showed I could catch. I showed I could do the defensive line drills," he said.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/1205226976297570.xml&coll=3

And I'm sure there's more out there with even better examples. I didn't even search for clips. But you get the idea. You can find both good and bad points in any prospect, but at the end of the day, Groves runs a 4.5 40 and had a very productive career sacking and terrorizing QBs at the college level. Ask yourself, if that could be of value to this team.

:rolleyes:

I was putting the weaknesses to show that they are enough serious to refute such a pick at 9 or 10.

while I respect Scott Wright's opinion as a scout and a draft guru, the weaknesses you posted are one man's opinion. Scott Wright has Groves projected as second round talent, something that many other scouts would dispute. It is possible he is correct in his assessment of Groves but the weaknesses you listed are just what he sees and not necessarily the widely accepted view.

I like Groves, but I'm a bit gunshy pulling the trigger in the top 10. His speed size combo is the best of any 3-4 OLB prospect in years. My one reservation is that I watched him several times post injury and he was dreadful. I'm talking vs Georgia and a few other games. I just see Thomas Brown and Knowshon Moreno running roughshod and Groves arriving late at a pile 10 yards downfield, over and over, like a nightmare.

He didn't show anything, speed, toughness. He was just going through the motions.

There are plenty of ways one can rationalize this, all true: He was playing with dislocated toes; he had just undergone a position change; etc.

But to take him the top 10 after watching that gives me heartburn. If we could trade down and take him in the teens I'd feel much better.

BTW, since BB was already in Alabama for Saban's clinic, wouldn't that be a great opportunity to check out Groves and Lee (under cover of darkness, of course)?

Last edited:
Well, going by rankings, Groves is somewhere in the 20s-30s in overall rankings, I've seen him high as 15, but never in the top 10.

If the PAtriots trade down into the teens-twenties, then I would be ok with it. But at 9 or 10, still too rich for my blood.

:rolleyes:

I was putting the weaknesses to show that they are enough serious to refute such a pick at 9 or 10.

You could probably do the same for pretty much anybody except a guy with the last name Long and no one else would look like a top 10 pick.

This just popped up:

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Auburn DE/OLB Quentin Groves underwent surgery to repair a "shortcircuted valve" in his heart in March.

Groves had a rapid heartbeat. Anytime a heart needs to be repaired it's concerning, but Schefter says teams still project Groves as a first-round pick. Groves sent a letter to all 32 clubs informing them about the procedure. Still, this is something teams will have to weigh on draft day.

This just popped up:

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Auburn DE/OLB Quentin Groves underwent surgery to repair a "shortcircuted valve" in his heart in March.

Groves had a rapid heartbeat. Anytime a heart needs to be repaired it's concerning, but Schefter says teams still project Groves as a first-round pick. Groves sent a letter to all 32 clubs informing them about the procedure. Still, this is something teams will have to weigh on draft day.

Wow. If true this is troubling. This should have its own thread. There are many of us who really like Groves.

Last edited:
This just popped up:

Holy smokes.

Wow. I just watched "Thursday's around the league" at NFL.com, and Schefter reported this.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d807b294e

Maybe that's why PFW had Groves as a late 2nd rd pick, which was confusing. he;s apparently visiting the Pats in the near future. if he checks out medically, this could be the steal of the draft late in rd 2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes