PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you bring Mangini back if it guaranteed a SB victory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once I'm dead, it's fine with me.

This thread is a good way to figure out which are the normal, well-adjusted posters who think of this as a spectator sport and who are the posters who have lost perspective on a game played by overpaid man-children.

Your blood oaths against Eric Mangini are silly and wasted energy.

This thread is a good way to figure out which are the normal, well-adjusted posters who think of this as a spectator sport and who are the posters who have lost perspective on a game played by overpaid man-children.

Right, because we all know the only real way to judge a person is by the two sentences he writes on a message board. That's the true test. Excellent point.

OK..no "blood oaths" or any other epithets that might bruise certain poosters fragile sensibilities...how about an analogy....you were married...you got divorced and at that hearing your ex-wife stabbed you in the back,took all your money, the house, the kids AND your unborn child (#1 DP)....you pull yourself up by your OWN bootstraps and get on with your life, continuing on the path of success you enjoyed pre-divorce...now you ex blows all the money, the kids hate her guts, she loses the house, her job and all her friends...and YOU want to take her back??????????????????????

excuse me, you MUST be a masochist if that is the case.

So NO, I do not want to ever see Fredo working for the Patriots EVER again. I love my family and am true blue with my lifelong friends from when the Pats started in the AFL, so it would be counterintuitive for me to suddenly switch horses in midstream and welcome back a known back stabbing stool pigeon. ....but that's just me ...perhaps YOU embrace rats and dirty tricks and screwing people in the back.

OK..no "blood oaths" or any other epithets that might bruise certain poosters fragile sensibilities...how about an analogy....you were married...you got divorced and at that hearing your ex-wife stabbed you in the back,took all your money, the house, the kids AND your unborn child (#1 DP)....you pull yourself up by your OWN bootstraps and get on with your life, continuing on the path of success you enjoyed pre-divorce...now you ex blows all the money, the kids hate her guts, she loses the house, her job and all her friends...and YOU want to take her back??????????????????????

excuse me, you MUST be a masochist if that is the case.

So NO, I do not want to ever see Fredo working for the Patriots EVER again. I love my family and am true blue with my lifelong friends from when the Pats started in the AFL, so it would be counterintuitive for me to suddenly switch horses in midstream and welcome back a known back stabbing stool pigeon. ....but that's just me ...perhaps YOU embrace rats and dirty tricks and screwing people in the back.

To use your analogy, if you take her back, you receive a billion dollars soon afterwards, guaranteed. And you can ditch her again after you get the money, and you get to keep the billion dollars.

So, yeah, you make the deal.

You can't blame Mangini for spygate, when the patriots knew the rules and still did it that game.

Sooner or later some disgruntle ex patriot would have told the press, like they always do with situations like this.

If it guaranteed a Superbowl, I absolutely would. Mangini rarely says anything disparaging about the Patriots in his media role. As Deus said, you can always move him on after the fact.

Last edited:

I get it, Dr. Denial. You think it is perfectly okay for a man who got his first job in a career that made him wealthy and helped him rise to the pinnacle of his profession - head coach in the NFL - to publicly accuse his mentor of cheating and forever diminish his mentor's reputation and that of the franchise because his team had no chance of competing. What Mangini did could have been handled in so many other ways through the league offices.

Mangini publicly humiliated the guy that gave him his first job as a ballboy with the Cleveland Browns and introduced him to the NFL and a who's who of young assistant coaches that led to everything he has today.

In your well-adjusted world, it is laudable to publicly screw everyone in your path to get whatever you want and loyalty, gratitude and professionalism have no value.

Last edited:
If bringing back one person would guarantee the Patriots won the SB, I'd bring back that person. It doesn't matter if it's Mangini, Crennel, Haynesworth, ESPN the Ocho, or anyone else that comes to mind at the moment.

In the world of straw men, the Scarecrow is king!

If bringing back or bringing on one person would guarantee the Patriots won the SB, I'd put Ghengis Khan at Nose Tackle and make Mata Hari a cheerleader (heh, heh, from a false or un-provable premise, anything follows).

However, bringing back one person can not guarantee the Patriots win the SB, ergo...(you fill in the rest).

I haven't seen too many blood oaths in this thread. OK, maybe one or two.

But, what I have seen are a lot of folks suggesting that trust is at the core of any personal or professional relationship.

By breaking one of the few hard and fast rules of the Patriots organization and moving to a Division Rival without the blessing of the coaches/management and by using his inside information about the Patriots organization to unleash a series of events that brought great damage to the franchise, Mangini has proven that he is not worthy of the Patriots' trust...or that of any other team for that matter.

Why, exactly, do you think that a guy as talented as Mangini has not received offers for or been rumored to receive offers for any HC or DC openings in the last several years? Nobody in the League trusts him, remembering the old saying, "What you did to my enemy was OK, but I don't want to take a chance that you'll do the same thing to me."

Yes. He never did anything to me.

Right, because we all know the only real way to judge a person is by the two sentences he writes on a message board. That's the true test. Excellent point.

I wouldn't take it too seriously. Posts like those are about all fnord adds to any given thread topic. You'll never see him breaking down X's and O's or getting into debates about the team's moves. But you will see him complaining about poster interaction on PatsFans.com/messageboard or him telling everyone how "silly" they are.

As for Mangini? Nope. Not because of what he did during Spygate. I could care less about that anymore. More because I don't perceive the issues in the secondary as being coaching-related. Apparently, neither did BB when he decided to bring Talib in.

You don't believe people should be held accountable for their actions?

I personally don't have much opinion on this Mangini topic since I wasn't around for the debacle. However I certainly respect someone's reservations here if they feel Mangini should be held accountable for a breech of trust.

I would hire Mangini in a minute. He is vastly superior to both of defensive backs coaches. I might note that Kraft was not to happy with Belichick over the spygate incident. Blame Mangini if you must. Blame Goodell. Kraft puts the blame elsewhere. That being said, I don't think that Belichick will bring back Mangini.

To me, this type of decision is not about the past. It is about the future. We welcomed Josh back. We welcomed Branch back. I would welcome Mangini back (or Romeo for that matter).

His departure was nothing like the departures of McDaniels or Crennel. Ratgini slithered out of here and tried to steal the Pats property as he left. He also pissed on the trust that he was given here when he left for a division rival.

There's no way that the Krafts will ever hire Mangini back. If the Rat bastard is lucky they might talk to him again some day, but even that isn't a given. He made his bed and now he get's to sleep in it.

Just because Kraft was upset with BB doesn't mean he holds Mangini blameless. I'd bet he views Mangini as an ungrateful traitor.

I heard Jonathan Kraft in an interview a couple of years ago and he wouldn't even say the Rat's name. Eric the Rat sleeps with the fishes.

With the obvious disclaimer that it will never happen, I say yes.

First off Superbowl wins aren't that easy to come by and whatever contribution Mangini made toward that 4th Lombardi would pale in comparison to the credit given to Brady/BB.

Secondly it would expose Mangini as a groveling hypocrite for returning to an organization and the very coach he accused of cheating.

You can't blame Mangini for spygate, when the patriots knew the rules and still did it that game.

Sooner or later some disgruntle ex patriot would have told the press, like they always do with situations like this.

To your first sentence. No reasonable Patriots fan denies that Belichick was the ultimate cause of Spygate and brought the entire mess on himself and was, well, um, a "schmuck" for doing so, and, therefore, is ultimately accountable for the short- and long-term problems that Spygate brought upon the Franchise. However, one can successfully hold that idea in his/her head at the same time that s/he holds the opinion that Mangini's actions were the proximate cause of a lot of misfortune and brand destruction for the Patriots and that he, too, should be held accountable for his actions. Those two ideas really aren't all that hard to reconcile.

To your second sentence. "Objection. Speculation." That might or might not be true, but the statement is, on its face, hypothetical and unverifiable, so it's really not relevant.

Jets fan, Steelers fan, Ravens fan, or Giants fan?

I would bring back Zeke "Patriot Missile" Mowatt if it meant one more Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes