PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you bring Mangini back if it guaranteed a SB victory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it would guarantee a SB victory, I'd bring back Eric Mangini, Rod Rust, Clive Rush, Pat the lush, and anybody else you could think of or dig up.

Agreed. Pro football is a cutthroat business, and Mangini was clearly trying to get a leg up on the Patriots. Well, it bit him in the butt and it caused all sorts of problems for the Patriots, but the fact is, if Belichick and Kraft could forgive him and bring him in, and it guaranteed (big IF) the Pats a SB title, who am I to complain about that?

Can we bring back young Ty Law and middle aged Rodney Harrison too?
Hell, bring back Roman Phifer as well!!

In fact, if we get those guys back, screw Mangini. Matt Patricia's dog could coach those guys to the SB.

Yes I would. I remember a secondary with the likes of Randall Gay, Troy Brown, and Eugene Wilson getting significant snaps, yet it was our best playoff run in franchise history. And whenever QB's would loft up prayers they knew how to defend it a vast majority of the time (I can recall one bomb to Pinkston in sb39 otherwise this play was always well defended by those guys). You didn't see our top CB's getting toasted by the likes of Jacoby Jones and Golden Tate on a normal basis. While personnel is still the main reason we haven't been getting it done like those teams, give credit where it's due to Romeo, Mangini, and company.

Last edited:
Thing is, they're teaching the DB's to play this way for a reason and whatever that reason is it is coming from BB. They could have the CB's jamming at the line, they could have them playing tight coverage and they could teach them to play the ball instead of the receiver's eyes but they don't.

They don't need Mangini here to do any of those things and if BB lost his mind and gave that rat bastard a job he'd still be teaching the DB's to play the way BB wants them to. BB is comfortable sitting back, being patient and waiting for the other team to make a mistake. It's sometimes painful to watch but for whatever reason this is how he wants to play, hiring Mangini wouldn't change that. Do you think the need Mangini to come in say jam them at the line or play the ball instead of the receiver. It's about the philosophy more so than the coach.

And if he is such a good coach, why is he still not employed as one?

Maybe with the Talib trade along with Dennard getting more playing time with McCourty at S we'll see a change in their approach.

I would hire Mangini in a minute. He is vastly superior to both of defensive backs coaches. I might note that Kraft was not to happy with Belichick over the spygate incident. Blame Mangini if you must. Blame Goodell. Kraft puts the blame elsewhere. That being said, I don't think that Belichick will bring back Mangini.

To me, this type of decision is not about the past. It is about the future. We welcomed Josh back. We welcomed Branch back. I would welcome Mangini back (or Romeo for that matter).

Just because Kraft was upset with BB doesn't mean he holds Mangini blameless. I'd bet he views Mangini as an ungrateful traitor.

I would hire Mangini in a minute. He is vastly superior to both of defensive backs coaches. I might note that Kraft was not to happy with Belichick over the spygate incident. Blame Mangini if you must. Blame Goodell. Kraft puts the blame elsewhere. That being said, I don't think that Belichick will bring back Mangini.

To me, this type of decision is not about the past. It is about the future. We welcomed Josh back. We welcomed Branch back. I would welcome Mangini back (or Romeo for that matter).

I think you are misreading Kraft's quotes. And Branch and Josh never did anything like Mangini

"Ungrateful traitor" is indeed a characterization that folks on message boards use. The Krafts are business folk. If Belichick thought Mangini would improve the team, the Kraft's wouldn't challenge his football judgement. If Belichick could live with re-signing of Mangini, Kraft certainly wouldn't stand in the way.

Just because Kraft was upset with BB doesn't mean he holds Mangini blameless. I'd bet he views Mangini as an ungrateful traitor.

How about instead we bring in Rex Ryan as DC when he gets fired at the end of the year?

"Ungrateful traitor" is indeed a characterization that folks on message boards use. The Krafts are business folk. If Belichick thought Mangini would improve the team, the Kraft's wouldn't challenge his football judgement. If Belichick could live with re-signing of Mangini, Kraft certainly wouldn't stand in the way.

Yeah dem darn fancy businessey like gentlemen sure a lot more smarter den us plain ol messageboardy folk.

Mangini. DB* coach.

* douchebag

If it would guarantee a SB victory, I'd bring back Eric Mangini, Rod Rust, Clive Rush, Pat the lush, and anybody else you could think of or dig up.

Hugh Millen, Scott Sisson come to mind with that list.

If you read Kraft's remark to Belichick in the context of a long term relationship where Belichick has brought much success and wealth to Kraft and his family, it's really quite easy to understand it. I hardly think it signals a rift, much less any fundamental displeasure with BB. He's just being upfront and straight with a guy whom he respects about a bad decision that he made. And, it was, indeed, a very bad decision.

Maybe it comes from working in Manhattan and from working with a lot of people with educations and backgrounds similar to Kraft's (and having some of that in common with him), but calling someone you like and respect a "schmuck" for something specific that they did is hardly unusual in the circles I know. You say it. You understand each other. You move on.

Don't forget that soon after Kraft called his friend and colleague a schmuck over this, he gave BB a raise that was, miraculously!, exactly equal to the amount of the fine he had to pay.

I doubt very much that Kraft would have back in his organization a guy that committed the cardinal sin of going to work for a Division Rival without getting his blessing and who topped it off by creating a ****storm in the NFL and in the media that resulted in a severe setback to the Brand that Kraft had carefully nurtured since buying the team and that no doubt had a negative impact on the economic value of his franchise...a fancy way of saying that the Rat took money out of Bob Kraft's pocket and I doubt that will ever be forgotten, much less forgiven.

Last edited:
If you read Kraft's remark to Belichick in the context of a long term relationship where Belichick has brought much success and wealth to Kraft and his family, it's really quite easy to understand it. I hardly think it signals a rift, much less any fundamental displeasure with BB. He's just being upfront and straight with a guy whom he respects about a bad decision that he made. And, it was, indeed, a very bad decision.

Maybe it comes from working in Manhattan and from working with a lot of people with educations and backgrounds similar to Kraft's (and having some of that in common with him), but calling someone you like and respect a "schmuck" for something specific that they did is hardly unusual in the circles I know. You say it. You understand each other. You move on.

Don't forget that soon after Kraft called his friend and colleague a schmuck over this, he gave BB a raise that was, miraculously!, exactly equal to the amount of the fine he had to pay.

I doubt very much that Kraft would have back in his organization a guy that committed the cardinal sin of going to work for a Division Rival without getting his blessing and who topped it off by creating a ****storm in the NFL and in the media that resulted in a severe setback to the Brand that Kraft had carefully nurtured since buying the team and that no doubt had a negative impact on the economic value of his franchise...a fancy way of saying that the Rat took money out of Bob Kraft's pocket and I doubt that will ever be forgotten, much less forgiven.

Well, now that you put it in a "The Godfather" frame of reference...
But seriously... http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ary-help-gregory-trade-page4.html#post3203880

If bringing back one person would guarantee the Patriots won the SB, I'd bring back that person. It doesn't matter if it's Mangini, Crennel, Haynesworth, ESPN the Ocho, or anyone else that comes to mind at the moment.

"Ungrateful traitor" is indeed a characterization that folks on message boards use.

We also like to use "Fredo," ingrate, rat, snitch, backstabber, Manbooblia, d#%chebag, snitch, turncoat, tattler, Satan, Benedict Arnold and Judas.

Go away, Eric. Just go away.

That says it all for me. Good work.

So would you say it's just a coincidence that Law, Samuel, Revis and Haden were/are very good/elite CBs after Mangini coached them?

No, I'd say it was a matter of god given talent. And Asante didn't blossom until a year after Eric departed. And his progression had a lot more to do with his own efforts to condition himself to catch the balls that were always hitting him in the hands. He subbed for Ty Law in 2004 on a very talented veteran D. In 2005 on a rudderless secondary that was lost absent Harrison you couldn't have traded him for a bag of balls.

No offense man....but this is a really stupid post topic.....

Just a hypothetical... if you had a guarantee that the Pats would win the SB in 2013, would it be worth it? Or is this a case where the principle is more important?

It is obvious that if the Pats would ever consider bringing in a guy to fix the defense, Mangini is the right guy strictly from a professional standpoint. I think it's clear as day now that he was the mastermind behind the Jets talent evaluation, drafting Darelle Revis, along with late round role players like Coleman, Lowery, and E Smith. The guy can evaluate and coach talent on defense, particularly in the secondary.

For the record, I would say yes for the hypothetical, but no in reality, as obviously there is no guarantee. While I hate what Mangini did with Spygate, I honestly do not think he had any idea of the media storm that would ensue. I believe he just got caught up in the moment of competition, thought he would 1-up Belichick, and was as shocked as everyone else about the ensuing witch hunt, ridiculous allegations, and zoo-like atmosphere of Patriot haters and conspiracy theorists that emerged from the sewers. Still, I don't think it would be worth bringing back Mangini because of the humiliation he brought to the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes