PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you boycott The Boston Globe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There most definitely is bad blood between the Patriots and the Globe, going back to Will McDonough and McDonough's rift with Bob Kraft over close personal friend Parcells leaving. There have been other "behind-the-scenes" incidents involving Globe sportswriters and the Patriots. Shaughnessy once wrote a very mean-spirited column disparaging Kraft and subsequently was not invited to a Pats-sponsored press function. (You might recall that Shaughnessy, for a time, referred to Kraft as "Thanks Myra," a shot suggesting that Kraft built his empire with his father-in-law's money.) Shaughnessy's Globe colleagues then boycotted the function to show solidarity. And, of course, you have Borges, whose personal enmity toward Belichick is transparent.

McDonough was Jackie McMullen's promoter and mentor. Bob ("I'm a basketball guy!") Ryan dislikes football and often jabs at the Patriots whenever he has to write about them. The same goes for Nick Cafardo, who for years has wanted to be the staff's top Red Sox beat writer.

The icing on the cake for this pompous bunch is the Patriots' tight rein on information dispensed to the media, a policy controlled by Belichick. Top it off with the Globe's vested financial interest in the Red Sox, and you've got plenty of fodder for an anti-Patriots bias at the Boston Globe.

The triple team is back! :help:

Fodder, sure. But I'm still not convinced it's in the Globe's best interest to perpetuate a grudge with the Pats.

Reiss got the exclusive with BB last week, if that's any example.

As it goes, "You'll catch more bees with honey than vinegar."

Last edited:
[/quote

Fodder, sure. But I'm still not convinced it's in the Globe's best interest to perpetuate a grudge with the Pats.

Reiss got the exclusive with BB last week, if that's any example.[/QUOTE]

It's in the Globe's interest to have a "good cop" in Reiss to the other multiple bad cops. You will note, however, that Reiss does not have an opinion forum in the print pages. The opinion forums are the province of Borges, Ryan, Shaughnessy and McMullen.

I believe the Globe sees it in its best (financial) interest to keep the Patriots a "distant second" to the Red Sox in terms of local popularity -- ESPECIALLY as baseball slips further into anachronism and younger generations of fans gravitate toward the NFL and other more action-oriented sports. The Globe's coverage favors baseball because they want to push and perpetuate baseball, not because the public demands it. The Patriots are showing signs of overtaking the Red Sox in popularity outside the city of Boston, and the Globe doesn't like that trend. A couple more Super Bowl wins and it's up for grabs.

Reiss got the exclusive with BB last week, if that's any example.

It's in the Globe's interest to have a "good cop" in Reiss to the other multiple bad cops. You will note, however, that Reiss does not have an opinion forum in the print pages. The opinion forums are the province of Borges, Ryan, Shaughnessy and McMullen.

I believe the Globe sees it in its best (financial) interest to keep the Patriots a "distant second" to the Red Sox in terms of local popularity -- ESPECIALLY as baseball slips further into anachronism and younger generations of fans gravitate toward the NFL and other more action-oriented sports. The Globe's coverage favors baseball because they want to push and perpetuate baseball, not because the public demands it. The Patriots are showing signs of overtaking the Red Sox in popularity outside the city of Boston, and the Globe doesn't like that trend. A couple more Super Bowl wins and it's up for grabs.

I can agree with that.

But I don't think they are ones to fight the popular current. I still think they'll focus their coverage to where they think they'll readers will want it. On Mondays, there's almost 5 or 6 pages of Patriots coverage.

Just as any good business would do, they try to appeal to their customers.

Again, I think the whole Globe/Sox/WEEI/NESN connection is overblown.

Last edited:
Again, Good Lord. This isn't ******* China.

The Boston Herald publishes court records.

The Boston Globe publishes quotes from Ted Johnson.

And all the sudden, this makes them "anti-Patriots" or "hell-bent on destroying BB's reputation."

That is an absolutely asinine conclusion.

And again, why are you grouping Reiss in with MacMullan and Borges? Reiss is a beat writer. MacMullan and Borges are columnists. There's a HUGE difference, especially if you want to ***** about some "anti-Pats" bias.

The Herald has made published all sorts of unsubstainted rumor is this case which as certainly not been part of the "court record."

With regard to Reiss, my point was that he is now the only Globe writer or reporter I will read.

Clearly you disagree with me but I will thank you not to insult me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back