PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you boycott The Boston Globe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? Are you trying to say columnists aren't there to give their opinions?

As the motto of the Houston Chronicle goes...

"Breaking News, Opinion, and Commentary."

I'm saying that the primary objective is to pass information. If they want to throw their opinions in, fine, but the first thing they need to do is get the facts straight.

PS...just b/c the Houston Chronicle has slogan, doesn't mean its right.

I'm saying that the primary objective is to pass information. If they want to throw their opinions in, fine, but the first thing they need to do is get the facts straight.

PS...just b/c the Houston Chronicle has slogan, doesn't mean its right.

The slogan still speaks for journalism in general, though. It applies to every major newspaper world-wide, save China or Iran.

There is major profit loss in these papers because of the internet, not because people don't want to read opinions. This is the age of blogs, which, guess what, provide breaking news, commentary, and opinion (and then some).

Last edited:
I dont understand why the hatred from the Globe, first Borges, than Cafardo, now Jackie Mcmullien who has now written 2 stories negative toward the Pats... She should stick to basketball... :bricks:

Good Lord.

She "wrote negative stories about the Pats?"

You mean she wrote about what Ted Johnson said?

And you're criticizing her for that? Are you crazy? It's absolutely DELUSIONAL to think by writing a story about what Ted Johnson came out with, MacMullan somehow is negative towards the Pats or "hates" the Pats.

Give me a ******* break. It's insane the extent some people "hate" the press and media themselves.

I think Reiss is a great, great journalist. But as soon as he becomes a columnist instead of a beat writer, and his job is to offer opinion, he won't be able to please everyone.

Borges taking cheap shots at BB in his opening 'graph of an article about Tony Dungy is bad. Jackie MacMullan telling Ted Johnson's story through his own words isn't.

It's funny how quickly sentiments change. If MacMullan writes a "positive" article, it's "good." If she writes a "negative" article, it's "bad:"

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=40511

"Good job as always by Jackie."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=47683

"But what's a nice dame like Jackie MacMullan doing with a bum like the Globe?"

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=48009

"I thought today's article by Jackie MacMullan was a good one."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=48263

"Great article by Jackie MacMullan..."

Last edited:
Waiting to release a story on Asante Samuel not being happy with his contract. Then releasing this news the day prior to the Patriots playing their biggest game of the year is wonderful reporting. I wonder what her motivation was in doing this?

Waiting to release a story on Asante Samuel not being happy with his contract. Then releasing this news the day prior to the Patriots playing their biggest game of the year is wonderful reporting. I wonder what her motivation was in doing this?

Her motivation?!?! Her J-O-B. If she doesn't, and everyone else does, she loses her JOB.

What the **** do you want her to do? Not publish anything "negative" that any Pats player says?

This isn't ******* China. The Globe has no obligation to the Patriots OR Red Sox to keep quiet.

I don't get why everyone thinks the media or certain members of it are out to get teams or people in some evil, schemed way. That's only true for Borges.

This resentment towards the media is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Her motivation?!?! Her J-O-B. If she doesn't, and everyone else does, she loses her JOB.

What the **** do you want her to do? Not publish anything "negative" that any Pats player says?

This isn't ******* China. The Globe has no obligation to the Patriots OR Red Sox to keep quiet.

I don't get why everyone thinks the media or certain members of it are out to get teams or people in some evil, schemed way. That's only true for Borges.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't think her job is to twist the facts to pursue an agenda. I thibnk Jackie has been playing fast and loose with the truth lately, all the way from "Belichick refused to shake Mangini's hand" to this frame-up of a story which doesn't at all present a medical point-of-view. Put it this way, if this goes to a civil trial with a jury, you don't consider this article something that might taint their opinions?

The slogan still speaks for journalism in general, though. It applies to every major newspaper world-wide, save China or Iran.

There is major profit loss in these papers because of the internet, not because people don't want to read opinions. This is the age of blogs, which, guess what, provide breaking news, commentary, and opinion (and then some).

Realizing that, then it's a sad commentary on the state of our culture, that most people are lazy enough just to believe what they are told.

I don't know how anyone could read that liberal rag anyways.

I'll stick to the Boston Herald.

I don't get why some people think the Globe's anti-Patriot bias has anything to do with liberalism or conservativism. I'm glad you're gonna to stick to the rag that seems hell bent on destroying BB's reputation based on the claims of some guy who for 10 years didn't have a problem with his wife taking money from BB until they decided to divorce. Good choice.

I quit reading Bogus a while ago, now MacMullen. It's down to Reiss now.

And you're criticizing her for that? Are you crazy? It's absolutely DELUSIONAL to think by writing a story about what Ted Johnson came out with, MacMullan somehow is negative towards the Pats or "hates" the Pats."

No Pats1. You are delusional if you think that the timing of MacMullen's stories and their intentional besmirching of BB isn't part of a larger anti-Pats and anti-BB campaign.

Last edited:
The day a reporter files a story is not necessarily the day the story is run. Your quibble on the "timing" may be with the sports page editor. And he, too, is trying to come up with the best day to use it (or the day when he needs to fill the most column inches... whatever.) My guess would be that the day before or of a big game, there is a lot of space to fill on the sports page with Patriots news.

I don't think anybody in the Boston media "hates" the Pats, but it is their job to be critical. Not reading stories which are inconvenient to one's worldview may be more deleterious to one's own understanding, than to the news outlet which publishes those stories.

If Ted Johnson makes these claims, it is news. If news outlets report it, I do not understand considering them "hateful." Similarly, if a news station reports on a story reflecting a mistake of American foreign policy, that station is not a nest of traitors, nor are you a traitor for considering bad news as well as good news; rather, by considering a variety of outlooks, you are becoming more informed. The news media are not a cheerleading squad, nor should they be.

PFnV

The news media are not a cheerleading squad, nor should they be.

PFnV

However, who gave them the authority to act as a moral compass for the public? They are not elected, so the general population has little say in who gets to write these pieces.

No Pats1. You are delusional if you think that the timing of MacMullen's stories and their intentional besmirching of BB isn't part of a larger anti-Pats and anti-BB campaign.

Conspiracy theorists unite!

It's Borges. That's it. HE is anti-Patriots. The Globe as a whole is not.

Get over yourself.

Last edited:
I don't get why some people think the Globe's anti-Patriot bias has anything to do with liberalism or conservativism. I'm glad you're gonna to stick to the rag that seems hell bent on destroying BB's reputation based on the claims of some guy who for 10 years didn't have a problem with his wife taking money from BB until they decided to divorce. Good choice.

I quit reading Bogus a while ago, now MacMullen. It's down to Reiss now.

Again, Good Lord. This isn't ******* China.

The Boston Herald publishes court records.

The Boston Globe publishes quotes from Ted Johnson.

And all the sudden, this makes them "anti-Patriots" or "hell-bent on destroying BB's reputation."

That is an absolutely asinine conclusion.

And again, why are you grouping Reiss in with MacMullan and Borges? Reiss is a beat writer. MacMullan and Borges are columnists. There's a HUGE difference, especially if you want to ***** about some "anti-Pats" bias.

Last edited:
The day a reporter files a story is not necessarily the day the story is run. Your quibble on the "timing" may be with the sports page editor. And he, too, is trying to come up with the best day to use it (or the day when he needs to fill the most column inches... whatever.) My guess would be that the day before or of a big game, there is a lot of space to fill on the sports page with Patriots news.

I don't think anybody in the Boston media "hates" the Pats, but it is their job to be critical. Not reading stories which are inconvenient to one's worldview may be more deleterious to one's own understanding, than to the news outlet which publishes those stories.

If Ted Johnson makes these claims, it is news. If news outlets report it, I do not understand considering them "hateful." Similarly, if a news station reports on a story reflecting a mistake of American foreign policy, that station is not a nest of traitors, nor are you a traitor for considering bad news as well as good news; rather, by considering a variety of outlooks, you are becoming more informed. The news media are not a cheerleading squad, nor should they be.

PFnV

Amen.

It's nice to know someone gets it.

However, who gave them the authority to act as a moral compass for the public? They are not elected, so the general population has little say in who gets to write these pieces.

Who gave them the authority?!?!

The Constitution of the United States of America, Amendment 1:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Last edited:
MacMullen is anti-Belichick all the way. She has made up lies about him involving him refusing to shake Mangini's hand. She may not be anti-Pats but she is anti-belichick.

MacMullen is anti-Belichick all the way. She has made up lies about him involving him refusing to shake Mangini's hand. She may not be anti-Pats but she is anti-belichick.

It's always nice to have a link....

Who gave them the authority?!?!

The Constitution of the United States of America, Amendment 1:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Classic. I'm not arguing their RIGHT to publish whatever the hell they want. But just as they have the right to print whatever, we have to right to do the same back to them. Many of the articles published these days clearly haven't been checked for fact, so why should we be held to a higher standard?

I'll stop arguing this point now. It's pretty clear that you either work in journalism or know people that do, b/c you have all the classic defenses of a journalist.

We'll have to agree to disagree though, because I have zero respect for this industry, and where it's been taken.

Classic. I'm not arguing their RIGHT to publish whatever the hell they want. But just as they have the right to print whatever, we have to right to do the same back to them. Many of the articles published these days clearly haven't been checked for fact, so why should we be held to a higher standard?

I'll stop arguing this point now. It's pretty clear that you either work in journalism or know people that do, b/c you have all the classic defenses of a journalist.

We'll have to agree to disagree though, because I have zero respect for this industry, and where it's been taken.

As it goes...

"Philosophical differences."

You have 0 respect (must have keyed the car...). I have considerable respect (yet I'm not in the business).

(This is also how similar arguments, after both the BB/divorce story and the Tomase/Brady/Givens story, ended.)

Last edited:

Is she your mother or something?

The reporting from the Golbe is anti-Belichick. No major newspaper should attack any member of the public with reports that tell only 1/2 the story.

The Globe has an agenda when it comes to Belichick and the Patriots.

*** k them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back