PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you boycott The Boston Globe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be that the Globe writers are drinking too much on the job, and it's not so much that they hate the Patriots, but that their minds are addled by too much Jameson's?

Read this from Bob Ryan this morning. What a brainfart:

"A lot of people were seeking Dan Klecko this week because he can offer a unique perspective. No one else here has played for both the Patriots and the Colts, and recently, too. No one else can offer a take on such interesting items as Coach Bill vs. Coach Tony and Peyton The Pitchman vs. Tom The Heartthrob."

LOL! Seriously,I've been wondering about Bob Ryan lately. His last couple of appearances/interviews he looks half-lit lol. Combine that with his somewhat garbled speech and jezuz I swore he was tanked a few times lol.Glad it wasn't just me.

You want me to give up my morning newspaper altogether because of biased football coverage? Am I the only one who actually reads other parts of the newspaper? At least the comics? Anybody?

You want me to give up my morning newspaper altogether because of biased football coverage? Am I the only one who actually reads other parts of the newspaper? At least the comics? Anybody?

no...just pick an alternative.

It'd be pretty boring to read nothing but praise all the time and probably not the real story.

Nobody is looking for praise exclusively. We just want to do away with the unnecessary bashing and negativity. What's so wrong with reporting stories with a full set of facts behind, instead of skewering everything with selective data to prove a false point?

BB's taking some hits of late and some, IMO, have been self inflicted. He's a bit of a strange guy, IMO. His cold shoulder to Mangini and the strange interview with Soloman Wilcots were odd behavior. Hey, I don't want any other HC of the Patriots, but he doesn't have to do some of the things he does at times.

I'd reserve judgment there. You don't know his relationship with Mangini. And, judging by how many of us felt right after that Colts game, I don't know how many people could have given a decent interview in Bellichick's place; besides, that story has been way overblown, to the point that Wilcots still goes around calling attention to himself repeating this thing over and over.

I don't subscribe to the NY Globe though I do click on articles via BSM and I read Reiss of course. If someone comes up with a plan besides not buying the actual paper-I'm in.
I've become absolutely disgusted with MacMullen's recent Patriotgate BS,starting with the Asante article and culminating with this. I have always respected her writings but lately she's become nothing but a scoop-breaking press-ho.Does she think she'll get a Pulitzer?
In fairness,maybe it's not all her fault; the paper obviously knows Borges has no credibility left so they're assigning their anti-Pats campaign to their more credible writers,hoping Patriotgate will therefore garner more credible attention.
Either way this campaign to crumble the Dynasty is so transparent it's sickening,and I agree with Tuna-it's time we tried to do something about it instead of just b****ing on here about every offensive article we come across.
I'd love it if Reiss walked out and went to the Herald.

Could you post a link to the article quoted on your sig please?

Could you post a link to the article quoted on your sig please?

I don't remember. It was from an article posted sometime after the Colts game. I'd have to go back several pages and unfortunately I don't recall the title of the thread either.

** I think the title of the article was something about the Pats having a pulse.

Last edited:
Dude, you have got to be kidding. You haven't picked up on the anti-Pats/pro-baseball bias?

Where is it found outside of Borges?

I saw one or two articles about the Red Sox this week. It was all about the Super Bowl.

There's room for both teams, and I think the Globe does a good job balancing it. Again, there's room for both. My homepage is Boston Dirt Dogs, and I have 8 tickets to Sox games this season. Yet, do I seem like someone who falls short of complete devotion to the Pats? (OK, I don't have season tickets, but don't we all have flaws :D)

Last edited:
Where is it found outside of Borges?

I saw one or two articles about the Red Sox this week. It was all about the Super Bowl.
As it should be.

As it should be.

I suppose. But I really could care less about daily Bears practice reports. At this point, I want to know about that new pitch Dice-K is learning.

Last edited:
I wont read any of the globe for now because I despise the Colts and the hype they will problably get from some globe writers. But it is the biggest sports game in the US and arguably the world(well maybe but definitley the US).

Realistically the Pats' season is over,and we New Englanders are fully aware baseball is just around the corner so it's natural they'd be reporting on it.
Truth be told,right about now I wish Macmullen and Co. would switch to baseball completely and leave Belichick alone.:enranged:

Frankly I'll read just about anything, by anyone. I even like some of Borges's stuff when he doesn't write about BB. Some stuff by the media I find annoying some I don't but that's what different opinions are supposed to do. It'd be pretty boring to read nothing but praise all the time and probably not the real story. BB's taking some hits of late and some, IMO, have been self inflicted. He's a bit of a strange guy, IMO. His cold shoulder to Mangini and the strange interview with Soloman Wilcots were odd behavior. Hey, I don't want any other HC of the Patriots, but he doesn't have to do some of the things he does at times.

Hallelujah! A voice of reason.

Quote from bosfan "Remember the first big article that broke on Asante being unhappy and wanting the big payday? If memory serves me that was also by McMullen and posted just before our payoff stretch which was not by accident."

OK, provide the evidence that the timing "was not an accident" but had the sort of malicious intent you infer.

There's little argument that Borges has an axe to grind with BB, but the guy is a skilled writer, capable of some pretty good stuff when he can swallow his jealously or whatever it is that bugs him about BB. But how can anyone disagree that BB isn't "flawed" or unusual or just plain weird? I'm sure even Mr. Kraft would prefer that BB would behave a bit more cordially, it would help continue the legend of the Patriots as the premier NFL organization, instead of making people scratch their heads over BB's latest malaprops.

As for the Globe favoring the Sox over the Pats? Um, does anyone bother to read the steady stream of articles ripping Manny, or Theo's whacked out gorilla suit episode, or how he shouldn't have traded Arroyo, didn't have enough pitching, overpaid for a number of FA's, made some bad decisions on Renteria, Clement, and others, or how Lucchino's a control freak and was beating up on boy wonder Epstein, or how Globe writers have suggested the Sox run their operation like the Patriots do? And that's just what I can remember off the top of my head...

I can't help but think that too many people just swallow the media sucks rhetoric and don't bother checking things out with an open mind instead knee-jerking as ordered.

Last edited:
I'm sick of The Boston Globe's anti-Patriots bias, Mike Reiss notwithstanding. Jackie McMullen's incomplete Ted Johnson story is the last straw. I personally have decided never again to purchase the newspaper's print version, though I will continue to read Reiss online. Anyone else feel the same way? Perhaps we can send the Globe a message.
i stopped buying that piece of s hit paper a long time ago.i just read some of it on line for free.i would never give them one penny of my hard earned money.

McMullen's piece was in no way anti-BB or Pats, it was simply about TJ. How could she not report what TJ said? That would be unprofessional. And she gave BB a chance to respond. BB, to his credit, I think, answered honestly. It's no secret that injuries are "just part of the game" in professional football, and if TJ and McMullen make the NFL at least think about, they are doing a good service. Like it or not, McMullen and Borges are two very good writers. You don't have to agree with them to respect them. I'd sooner bycott Mike Lynch's tedious and a*wiping Patriots All Access than the Globe. That said, I actually avoid neither.

I think it's our opponents who make the game more emotional, whether those opponents are the Indianapolis Colts or the Boston Globe.

There's little argument that Borges has an axe to grind with BB, but the guy is a skilled writer, capable of some pretty good stuff when he can swallow his jealously or whatever it is that bugs him about BB. But how can anyone disagree that BB isn't "flawed" or unusual or just plain weird? I'm sure even Mr. Kraft would prefer that BB would behave a bit more cordially, it would help continue the legend of the Patriots as the premier NFL organization, instead of making people scratch their heads over BB's latest malaprops.

The problem with this argument is that it is backward. The NORM should be pride swallowing, truth telling. The media is there to give us access to information, not give us what our opinion should be.

The fact that you say that Borges is "capable of some pretty good stuff when he swallows his jealousy" shows that the skill set is backward. We should "forgive" a "once in a while bias", when the lion's share of the articles are based in fact. Not forgive total bias b/c he occasionally writes a good article.

As for BB being flawed. OF COURSE he is. So am I. So are you. Why is it that we should expect a football coach to be super human?

Let's just take some of the things BB has been criticized for:

The Mangini Relationship - Obviously a situation that we don't know all the details on. But I'll open up a little story here that I feel could be comparable. I recently got engaged, and my fiance asked her best friend to be in the wedding. 10 weeks after she accepted, she called and backed out. I'll tell you, we've since seen the person, and we're cordial to her, but we don't sit there yuking it up. We say our hellos and move on. So if the media covered my life story, should I be roasted for that?

The cold Peyton Manning Handshake - Peyton was being mobbed by the media, and Bill gave him a shake and moved on. What else is the man supposed to do? PS, did anyone see the genuine hug he gave Tony Dungy?

The Solomon Wilcots interview - The problem here is that no one sets a baseline. Yes, that was not much of an interview, but I dare anyone to go back and find footage of a losing coach that was a good interview. Even the godfather of so called class Joe Torre has given interviews very similar where he praises the other team and says his team just didn't get it done. What did Bill do that was different?

The problem with this argument is that it is backward. The NORM should be pride swallowing, truth telling. The media is there to give us access to information, not give us what our opinion should be.

Huh? Are you trying to say columnists aren't there to give their opinions?

As the motto of the Houston Chronicle goes...

"Breaking News, Opinion, and Commentary."

I'm sick of The Boston Globe's anti-Patriots bias, Mike Reiss notwithstanding. Jackie McMullen's incomplete Ted Johnson story is the last straw. I personally have decided never again to purchase the newspaper's print version, though I will continue to read Reiss online. Anyone else feel the same way? Perhaps we can send the Globe a message.

I already boycotted the Bruins, why not the Boston Globe, lol

Dude McMullen is such a *****. I emailed her asking why she hated BB so much and made up lies about him on Around the Horn and she said he was a flawed man. ISNT EVERYBODY YOU DUMB WOMAN. And she failed miserably at trying to make fun of me in it. *****! I dont know, she used to be decent but now she has taken the path to Dark Side. Once you go there you cant come back.

I totally despise the Globe...at least the sports section. I would still read the other sections for other news. Reiss is good though. Seriously if we could I'd ship Borges and any other negative writer out to Indianapolis. Maybe they have positive sports writers. If they did, I'd swap in a heart beat. I hate Boston, I HATE Boston.

I dont understand why the hatred from the Globe, first Borges, than Cafardo, now Jackie Mcmullien who has now written 2 stories negative toward the Pats... She should stick to basketball... :bricks:

Quote from bosfan "Remember the first big article that broke on Asante being unhappy and wanting the big payday? If memory serves me that was also by McMullen and posted just before our payoff stretch which was not by accident."

OK, provide the evidence that the timing "was not an accident" but had the sort of malicious intent you infer.

As for the Globe favoring the Sox over the Pats? Um, does anyone bother to read the steady stream of articles ripping Manny, or Theo's whacked out gorilla suit episode, or how he shouldn't have traded Arroyo, didn't have enough pitching, overpaid for a number of FA's, made some bad decisions on Renteria, Clement, and others, or how Lucchino's a control freak and was beating up on boy wonder Epstein, or how Globe writers have suggested the Sox run their operation like the Patriots do? And that's just what I can remember off the top of my head...

I can't help but think that too many people just swallow the media sucks rhetoric and don't bother checking things out with an open mind instead knee-jerking as ordered.

Yup. Belichick is a little strange, we all know this, plus he doesn't like the media and the media doesn't like him. When that happens, and then you get even a sniff of inane controversy, the media attacks. And Belichick sometimes does not make it easy for himself, but he does not give a sh*t about that. Neither do I, not about stupid stuff like handshakes.

So I don't pay attention to those types of Belichick bashing stories. But when there are legitimate stories, like the TJ one, or even reporting on Asante, I don't think it's fair to lump those in with stories about how Belichick refused to french kiss Mangini, or whatever. I think it's easy to tell when you're reading if the author is trying to convey his or her personal dislike of Bill onto the story, or is reporting on a legitimate issue.

And you're right about the Sox stuff. Sox fans complain all the time about the Globe writers and the Boston media in general. And like with the Pats stories, sometimes it's justified and sometimes not.

Actually, I think fans in general think their town's local papers are biased and against the team. Sometimes they're right, and sometimes they're just being overly sensitive when there's no need to be.

I just read the globe online...I occasionally enjoy a Bob Ryan piece, but I would never pay a cent to Borges and the other idiots besides Reiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back