PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would We Be A Good 3-4 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think that we continuing as primarily a 43 team. However, I think that we would be fine as a 3-t team at this point.

Ninkovich-Knighton-Long
Collins-Hightower-McClellan-Sheard

I think that we continuing as primarily a 43 team. However, I think that we would be fine as a 3-t team at this point.

Ninkovich-Knighton-Long
I don't think Ninko has the beef to play a 3-4 DE regularly. If Ninko is one of your projected starters as a 3-4 DE, your team probably isn't well suited for for the 3-4..

That we have offloaded penetrators on the DL isn't necessarily a reflection that we're moving to a 3-4, as much as it is that we're going heavy to try and control the LOS more. Think about the fact that BB likes to stay ahead of how the game is trending. More and more teams are playing nickel which would point to more use of the run game, something we seem to have a problem with, lately. Valentine doesn't really rush the passer, but he excels at run D and clogs. Valentine, Knighton, and Branch can eat up multiple blocks.

It doesn't make sense to invest in as many big bodies as they have without playing more than 2 at a given time. But then again, a good DT rotation makes champions. I think the personnel is suited to the 3-4 better than it has been in recent years, but we'll see.

I dunno. I'm guessing most of us are out of shape middle-aged guys (or older) with desk jobs. I don't think we would be a good 3-4, 4-4 or any kind of professional football defense.

Ninkovich-Knighton-Long
Ninko and Long are on the smaller side for DE in the 3-4.

Seems to me that from a personnel standpoint this team is a lot closer to a 4-3 than a 3-4.

I feel that Easley being a total bust really through a wrench into the plans. I'm honestly shocked that no team has even given him some minimum deal. He must be total damaged goods.

I dunno. I'm guessing most of us are out of shape middle-aged guys (or older) with desk jobs. I don't think we would be a good 3-4, 4-4 or any kind of professional football defense.

I will take one of the DE positions. I am 6'7", 350lbs and I still work out daily. I can hold the point of attack but dont have the explosion to rush the passer.

Yes, I would expect that they could stuff the run extremely well with a 3-4 DL of Branch, Knighton, and Brown. No, I wouldn't expect them to actually do that on more than 10% of the defensive snaps next season.

I can see the Pats running some 3-4 this year with Brown-knighton-branch to clog the middle and use Nink, Sheard, Collins or Hightower on blitzes to get pressure. It would allow us to only rush 4 and not have to worry about the run with the 3 big bodies clogging it up.

Ninkovich-Knighton-Long

Put Brown as a DE.

If the team were transitioning back to the 3-4, it would probably be a year away from its full time implementation, at least based on personnel. Right now, it's missing a DE who'd be truly capable of being both a run defense threat and pass defense threat, so they'd have to do some massaging in order to try it full time, IMO.

Last edited:

False. I'm 20 and out of shape with a desk job. I can anchor this defense.

If we ran a 3-4, the lineup is very simple to choose, and it would never in a million years involve putting Ninkovich in a defensive tackle's role:

Sheard - Collins - Hightower - Ninkovich
Brown - Knighton - Branch

I don't actually know which sides Brown/Branch would line up on, but I can't imagine the "3" in a 3-4 front wouldn't be some combination of the clear cut best 3 DTs on the team.

If, indeed, the primary defense was switched to 3-4, I could see Long being cut. I wouldn't even start thinking about this stuff until training camp, though.

I can see the Pats running some 3-4 this year with Brown-knighton-branch to clog the middle and use Nink, Sheard, Collins or Hightower on blitzes to get pressure. It would allow us to only rush 4 and not have to worry about the run with the 3 big bodies clogging it up.

I like you more at RT.

Hey speak for yourself! I will have you know I a a 31 year old out of shape guy with a desk job. : P

The 3-4 will no longer be anything more than BB's teaching defense and only used in games in a handful of run-stopping situations as necessary. Nickel is the new base defense, they have multiple defensive backs on the field 70% of the time now. They essentially run a 2-5 "regular" package now now, with the two defensive tackles playing similar two-gapping roles like the front three did in the 3-4. Now there's five linebacker types who can set the edge, rush the passer and cover, and their overall athleticism is greatly higher.

The game has changed too much now to have three down linemen two-gapping now. Not enough athletes on the field, not enough pass rush pressure. If they went back and tried to play 70% of their snaps in the 3-4 (as they did in the 00's) they would get lit up early and often. See 2010, the last time they were at more than 40% snaps in base 34..

Last edited:
The 3-4 will no longer be anything more than BB's teaching defense and only used in games in a handful of run-stopping situations as necessary. Nickel is the new base defense, they have multiple defensive backs on the field 70% of the time now. They essentially run a 2-5 "regular" package now now, with the two defensive tackles playing similar two-gapping roles like the front three did in the 3-4. Now there's five linebacker types who can set the edge, rush the passer and cover, and their overall athleticism is greatly higher.

The game has changed too much now to have three down linemen two-gapping now. Not enough athletes on the field, not enough pass rush pressure. If they went back and tried to play 70% of their snaps in the 3-4 (as they did in the 00's) they would get lit up early and often. See 2010, the last time they were at more than 40% snaps in base 34..

I'd have to disagree about the 2-5 "regular" package because it implies the defensive ends play like linebackers, which seems to be less the case now than ever before in recent memory for this defense. By that, I mean Chandler Jones seemed like our most prototypical 4-3 end in forever. I think if the 3-4 becomes a thing again here, we'll look back at the Jones trade as a symptom of that.

But you're right that the new base defense is the nickel. In the nickel, the difference between a 4-3 and 3-4 is largely mitigated, since the edge rushers will generally just play as defensive ends in sub packages in both systems. There will be 2 DTs, 2 pass rushers, 2 linebackers, and 5 defensive backs. Maybe the pass rushers are standing, maybe not.

No.

Generally speaking, 3-4 Teams have losing Records. Most'f the time.

Teams with losing Records? They're not good.

I suppose we could be a good Team off to a slow start.

A 12-4 Team? Now that's a good Team.

Beat me to it. I was going to say the Dolphins are the best 3-4 team in the league. They always start out 3-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back