Welcome to PatsFans.com

Would this creep you out?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by TrueBeliever, May 21, 2010.

1. TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last night through the gift of Facebook I learned that an old friend of mine is dating a young lass who graduated high school in 2008. Now I'm not much of a math wiz, but by doing some figuring I determined that since he and I were in the same high school class but he was actually a year older than me since he was held back a year when he was young, he is 15 years older than her.

I'm not one to judge, but to me that's just a little weird. Or is it just me?
  2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,028 / 25 / -45

No Jersey Selected

It tells me that your friend is probably a gigantic loser. No offense.

What's he going to do when she goes to college and wants to party all of the time? Is he going to follow her up there and go to college bars? :rofl:
  3. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Ask him how well that worked out for Roethlisberger :rolleyes:

I'd be less than thrilled if my daughter was an 18-year old woman dating someone that old. Just saying...but I'm a dad so that's obviously going to be my opinion :cool:
  4. Patsfan76

Patsfan76 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you think that that's bad, there's a guy in my department at work whose 37 and is chasing some 20 year old skirt...er I mean girl! :bricks:
  5. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What boss man said.

I think when one of the two is that young theres a line. However I do think if both are more mature in age it becomes less, well, taboo?
  6. Patsfan76

Patsfan76 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Probably not the brightest idea that your friend has ever had. He definitely should reconsider someone that's probably a whole lot closer to his age.
  7. TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

None taken. Truth is I haven't even talked to him for a couple years. This guy really is a hick, and I'm not even sure how we became friends in the first place. We met in high school and really had nothing in common - he liked working on cars, motors, etc.; hunting and fishing; and I'm not into any of that. But we liked video games and freaky horror movies, and I could be really goofy with him in ways I couldn't be with my other friends. After high school he asked me to stand up in his wedding, and when his son was born he and his wife asked me to be his godfather, and I agreed.

But then when I met my wife I really didn't spend much time with him because the things I did with him I could do with her, along with some other... fringe benefits. :D And after I got married, I found myself keeping in touch more with his wife than I did with him. Over the years I began to see he was really kind of a dink to her; not abusive, but just not a good husband - he would go and blow hundreds of dollars on a new video game system for himself, but then complain when she spent $14 on a shirt at K-Mart.

They split up last year; she told me he had kind of a nervous breakdown and told her he "couldn't handle the pressure of taking care of a family anymore" or something like that. I tried to keep an open mind because I was only hearing her side of it. I know his mom had a problem with depression that led her to quit working for a while, so I figured he was going through something like that. But I just never wanted to go hang out with him or anything, we had just drifted apart, you know?

So last year when I finally got around to joining Facebook, I added her as a friend and she'd keep me updated to how things were going with the divorce and her new apartment, etc. A few months ago he joined Facebook too and added me as a friend, and added both their kids too (which he really shouldn't have since neither of them are 13 yet, but I'm sure they're not the only ones breaking that rule.)

And then the other night I went on the site and saw that his profile picture showed him with this girl, and when I looked at her profile that's how I learned how old she was, and did a :eek: . Like I said, I try not to judge... well let me rephrase that; I judge plenty, but I usually don't try to intervene. ;) But I just don't see how this is going to work. I'm happy for him that he's in a relationship, and I hope it works out, but sheesh... I can't imagine dating someone who was just being born when I was a freshman in high school.

But here's the funny part that's not all that funny... his ex-wife is in a relationship too, and I just found out the guy she's seeing is only 20 or 21 too! What is with these people?! :rolleyes:
  8. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How do these people meet? I can understand if the people are all over 21, but what social circle of 30+ year olds runs with 18-20 year olds? Very few, and even less with the opposite sex.
    Is your buddy a drug dealer? Does he live in an exceptionally small town? Does he work as a janitor in a high school? Is he related to Hugh Heffner? I can't think of any other plausable explanations off the top of my head.
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

On The Internet.
  10. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good call. I vote yes, creepy!
    But seriously, I imagine myself dating an 18 year old and I want to poke my eyes out. Well, maybe not my eyes, but my ears. I mean, at 30+ what can you really have in common with a kid who just got out of high school?
  11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,028 / 25 / -45

No Jersey Selected

They had a veteran team and couldn't win with that, so they're going toward a youth movement.
  12. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 5 / -1

Personally, I think age is just a number and if both people are happy, who cares the age difference. BUT...... You really have to question the maturity of a 35 year old dating a 20 year old. I wouldn't have as much of a problem is she was 25 and he was 40. I think an under drinking age girl is worlds less mature than a a woman even 4-5 years older.

I have friends in their late 30s/early 40s who have/are dating women in their mid to late 20s. I have friends who have problems with it, but personally I didn't/don't care because the women were past the frat party stage of their lives and were responsible adults. I think I would have a problem if my friends in their mid-30s showed up to dinner or a party with a girl not old enough to drink. That is a little seedy.

I personally think people get too hung up with age, but there has to be limits.
  13. TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well they broke up already, so I guess it's a moot point. Unless he waited a while to bring it up on Facebook, the whole relationship lasted less than two weeks.
  14. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Puppy love eh...
  15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,028 / 25 / -45

No Jersey Selected

That's because it was a high school relationship. :rofl: