PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would Parcells go after Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
If the Pats dont franchise Adam , dont be surprised to see Parcells make a big run at him... The Cowboys were a few kicks away from making the playoffs.. I would be very worried if the Pats dont franchise him again, he will be gone...

he did bring him into the league.. so i wouldnt be surprised.. i dont see BB letting it get that far..

Sean Pa Patriot said:
If the Pats dont franchise Adam , dont be surprised to see Parcells make a big run at him... The Cowboys were a few kicks away from making the playoffs.. I would be very worried if the Pats dont franchise him again, he will be gone...

Yeah that would be like him getting Curtis Martin from the Pats I don't see that happening.

Grrrrr.....I hadn't thought of that. BP drafted him, but I would think Adam's loyalty is here with us. BB always talks about how he would not want another kicker making kicks for him. I just hope BB puts his money where his mouth is.....losing Adam would kill me!

This thought has occured to me. You know BP could convice JJ to make AV the highest paid K in the league BY FAR.

I just hope it doesn't come to that. I know it sucks spending big $$ on a K, but one just has to look at Vanderjag's Worst Clutch Kick Ever to know how much Adam is worth.

Sure people will point to AV missing a few kicks in the last Super Bowl and missing a kick vs. Denver, but there is a lot to be said for coming up big in big money kicks.

Just ask The Most Accurate Kicker in NFL History (Except for When the Game is On-The-Line)

At this point, if Parcells is willing to make Vinatieri the highest paid kicker in the leauge, he can have him. The way our team is now, I think our money could be better spent on other things than a kicker. I would like to see Adam here but he's not going to settle for a reasonable salary I'm afraid and a kicker should be quite a ways down on our priority list right now.

and give a 20% increase to the league's highest paid kicker. I do think this seems likely. Alternatively, we could sign him to 3 year contract, which will work for Adam as long as the SB is high enough.

patriotspride said:
the pats can always just franchise adam again.

mgteich said:
and give a 20% increase to the league's highest paid kicker. I do think this seems likely. Alternatively, we could sign him to 3 year contract, which will work for Adam as long as the SB is high enough.

Over $3 million for our kicker? YIKES!! :eek: We need to seriously think about locking up Seymour this offseason and spending $3 million on a kicker is about three steps in the wrong direction.

did you say somthing ?i was busy looking at that stupid avatar .

patriotspride said:

:D I did actually but pay no mind....

huskeralk said:
At this point, if Parcells is willing to make Vinatieri the highest paid kicker in the leauge, he can have him. The way our team is now, I think our money could be better spent on other things than a kicker. I would like to see Adam here but he's not going to settle for a reasonable salary I'm afraid and a kicker should be quite a ways down on our priority list right now.

I couldn't disagree more.

I think for certain upper echelon teams, where a kick can literally be the difference between advancing in the playoffs or not, you should pay top dollar for a quality kicker.

For lesser teams who don't usually have as much riding on the leg of a kicker, like the Cards or Lions or whoever, it might not make that much sense, but for a team built to be competitive and to vye for a SB every year like the Pats, its absolutely necessary to have a dependable kicker.

I think Pats fans are spoiled by Adam. Good kickers are simply very hard to find. Look around the league. Look at the stiffs the Cowboys were bringing in. Or the Bucs this year.

Good Ks are a precious commodity, and when you have a proven clutch K, you absolutely must keep him.

Quite frankly, if it came down to the Pats having to re-sign Givens or Adam, I would choose Adam.

huskeralk said:

You've said some pretty bizarre things here over the last few weeks, but this takes the cake. We won all 3 Superbowls by 3 points. The last points scored by the Patriots in each of those games was a Vinatieri kick, twice as the final seconds of the game ticked away.

They will either get a deal done (his agent was decertified by the players association and he is in the process of signing with an associate) or he will be franchised.

And as for playing for the Tuna, most players realize he never finishes a contract. This was scheduled to be his last season in Dallas, which is why JJ had to extend him for another year. ;) One more year with the Drews and Tuna will be toast.

MoLewisrocks said:
You've said some pretty bizarre things here over the last few weeks, but this takes the cake. We won all 3 Superbowls by 3 points. The last points scored by the Patriots in each of those games was a Vinatieri kick, twice as the final seconds of the game ticked away.

They will either get a deal done (his agent was decertified by the players association and he is in the process of signing with an associate) or he will be franchised.

And as for playing for the Tuna, most players realize he never finishes a contract. This was scheduled to be his last season in Dallas, which is why JJ had to extend him for another year. ;) One more year with the Drews and Tuna will be toast.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying I want Vinatieri gone no matter what. I just think if it's going to make a difference in signing Seymour and any other valuable starter long term, no way do I want to pay Adam $3 million plus. Not to take anything away from Adam but most of those kicks weren't anything special. There was alot of pressure but he's not the only NFL kicker that could have made them. In the end, I guess I just find it odd that he would be making nearly as much as our starting qb who happened to win two MVPs in those Super Bowls.

huskeralk said:
Make no mistake, I'm not saying I want Vinatieri gone no matter what. I just think if it's going to make a difference in signing Seymour and any other valuable starter long term, no way do I want to pay Adam $3 million plus. Not to take anything away from Adam but most of those kicks weren't anything special. There was alot of pressure but he's not the only NFL kicker that could have made them. In the end, I guess I just find it odd that he would be making nearly as much as our starting qb who happened to win two MVPs in those Super Bowls.

You only think that most of those kicks were nothing special because he made them. And he made 2 incredible kicks that are only the foundation of the entire dynasty....:rolleyes:

And since when is $3M nearly as much as $14.4M (Tom's cap or his actual $16M in bonus and salary due in 2006)? Signing or franchising Adam will have no bearing on Richard's future. He is signed through this season, and if his deal is held up it will be either because he wants more money than BB is willing (not able) to pay him or because unless a CBA is signed there is no way they can sign him to a long term deal with only 4 years to amortize his bonus.

MoLewisrocks said:
You only think that most of those kicks were nothing special because he made them. And he made 2 incredible kicks that are only the foundation of the entire dynasty....:rolleyes:

And since when is $3M nearly as much as $14.4M (Tom's cap or his actual $16M in bonus and salary due in 2006)? Signing or franchising Adam will have no bearing on Richard's future. He is signed through this season, and if his deal is held up it will be either because he wants more money than BB is willing (not able) to pay him or because unless a CBA is signed there is no way they can sign him to a long term deal with only 4 years to amortize his bonus.

I was going on base salaries alone straight from the NFLPA website. If the $3 million we use to sign him has no bearing on signing Seymour, then sign him up. But still, alot of those kicks were very ordinary. I'll give him the Raiders game though, not many kickers would have made those.

patriotspride said:

Would you please change your sig. This is a Football forum and not a political forum.

Politics has creeped into several threads on this board before and has not been a good thing. There is a political forum if you have urge.

I don't care if it's consevative, liberal, moderate, or libertarian. Politics has no place on the football board.

thanks

Last edited:
huskeralk said:

I agree with this to a certain extent. First of all, I would like Adam to have stay here for the rest of his career. However....

He was already the highest paid kicker in the NFL and his salary is going up at about 20% per year. To be quite frank, his production has already declined. It could be age or it could be injury (back ?), but in this era of the salary cap whatever it is there has to be a cutoff.

I didn't think Adam had a particularly good season this year. he doesn't have the leg he used to. His kickoffs are generally low and not deep, putting pressure on our coverage unit. He was amongst the worst kickers in the league in FG% from 40+ yards this season, and you could argue that he was the worst. He has not made a FG of 50+ yards since 2002. i'm not saying we should rely totally on statistics, but I don't think we should ignore them either.

As for his clutch FGs in the Super Bowls - those were among the greatest moments in Pats history. But I would not jump to the conclusion that AV is the only guy that could have made them, or that every other kicker in the NFL is gonna shank one (or several !) like Vanderjackt. It's not like AV has never missed a FG in the playoffs. Didn't he miss two against Carolina ?

I guess what I am saying is that BB is probably going to have to decide where the cutoff is with AV. Is he in a state of permanent decline, or was this season an abberation ? How much of a fixed salary cap should be devoted to the kicker ? Don't be surprised to see the Pats draft a kicker in the middle rounds.

BB has had to make those painful decisions before, he'll do it again, if necessary.

YMMV, but if it came down to choosing between AV and Givens at $3.0 million/year for four years, with a decent SB, i'd have to give that one a lot of consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes