PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would not be surprised if we do not take a LB in round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just looking at the talent in this year's draft, despite the clear need at LB ( haven't we been saying this the past 4 years now?) I don't see value there in the mid-late 20's.

Willis will be gone by the time Carolina picks. After that, the best of the LB class (Timmons, Pozlunzy, Siler, Harris and Beason) either look like 2nd round prospects or 4-3 type linebackers.

I see the best value in the 20's is in the defensive backfield. I would not be surprised to see BOTH a CB and a S taken with our round 1 picks. To put it anothr way, who here would be happier to see Beason drafted instead of Merriweather or Revis?

Yep, I've been saying the same thing.

As long as it's on the defensive side of the ball, I'll be happy.

Right.

I wouldn't be surprised either if the <20% of the roster that is LBs wasn't addressed in the first round.

In fact, I'd only be mildly surprised if the <20% that is DBs wasn't addressed in the first round.

My base case is one DB and one anything else (including trade), but neither 0 nor 2 DBs would surprise me much either.

I'll take Beason over Meriweather if push comes to shove.

I hope they find someway to get young talent at linebacker and secondary.

however they do that, trades, picks whatever, I'm hoping they get there somehow.

I've stopped trying to predict their draft day moves, because they are always full of surprises.

Tend to agree......one thing the Pats don't do is reach for a pick that's not there. I have the feeling one of those first rounders is gonna be swapped.

trade both 1's {and our three to get to #11} to get to #8. SF would love more picks, then we take Willis.

Last edited:
trade both 1's and our three to get to #11. SF would love more picks, then we take Willis.
You are aware #24 + #28 = #8 using Jimmy Johnson math?

trade both 1's and our three to get to #11. SF would love more picks, then we take Willis.

Why don't you throw the 4th, and both sixth rounders in for good measure. I mean the two first rounders NE has aren't worth 1,400 points right? And that doesn't equal either the 8th pick, or the 9th pick overall (depending on value charts)? So lets trade 1,532 points (24th, 28th, 92nd) for 1,250 points (11th overall)....Yea, this sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
Why does everyone think that Willis or the rest of the LB's in the draft will be gone come time the Pats pick? I have noticed a recent trend in drafts that many inside linebackers that are projected to go first round, drop to the second or third round. See for yourself. Players that you think will be gone, may end up dropping further than you think. Look at what Aaron Rodgers went through. He was considered to be the first pick in the draft. With that said, I think Patrick Willis is the best LB in the draft.

gimme LB and DB in the first and gimme darius walker in the third and that would be a great day one

Surprised?

How can you when the Patriots have neglected taking a linebacker on the first day for as long as I can remember (exception of Katzenmoyer). Every year it seemed as it they should be draft a linebacker and every year they disappointed the analysts and some fans. This year would be no different.

I'll be surpised if they take a wide receiver, running back, kicker/punter, or quarterback with either one of their first round draft picks.

I would be disappointed if they didn't take a linebacker, safety or corner on day one.

I couldn't see myself getting too excited about an offensive lineman or defensive lineman on the first day, but I'll agree with the pick if Pioli/BB go that way.

As for the Beason/Merriweather statement, I'll take Merriweather on his upside and hope that a linebacker comes at the 28th pick or the Pats can move into the second round and take a Harris from Michigan.

No Darius Walker for me. Give me the FSU kid first or wait late in the second day and grab Deshawn Baker (one of my sleepers).

gimme LB and DB in the first and gimme darius walker in the third and that would be a great day one

I'll take that and up it with L-Boogie over Walker.

Emagine having L-Money, and L-Boogie in the same backfield? That's almost to good to pass up, lol.

Last edited:
There is a certain symmetry about picking a Big Ten LB at #28. We did that the in the last pre-bb draft.

1) Willis will be gone by the time Carolina picks. After that, the best of the LB class (Timmons, Pozlunzy, Siler, Harris and Beason) either look like 2nd round prospects or 4-3 type linebackers.

2) I see the best value in the 20's is in the defensive backfield. I would not be surprised to see BOTH a CB and a S taken with our round 1 picks. To put it anothr way, who here would be happier to see Beason drafted instead of Merriweather or Revis?

1) I'm afraid that you may be right about Willis; Timmons and Beason are strictly 4-3 OLBs; I'm not sure if Posluszny and Siler have what it takes to handle the 3-4 ILB; and Harris isn't worthy of 24 or 28.

2) If Willis is gone by 24, then 2 DBs are the way to go. It now looks likely that Revis is also gone by 24. The UTexas tandem of Aaron Ross and Michael Griffin would be, in the words of Adam Sandler, not too shabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes