PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would Fred Taylor be an upgrade for our RB collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taylor or J.Lewis would be an upgrade over Morris. May even be an upgrade of LoMo, but given his age, im willing to give him one last shot to show what he's got.

I think that he'd be great, but I don't seem him taking the money the Patriots would offer, especially to be 1 of a 3-4 back rotation. I think he'll look to prove that the Jags are wrong to cut him, and he'll want to be either the workhorse or one-half of a two RB rotation.

Ha, I knew this thread would be here.

I wouldn't go after Taylor. Our 3-4 headed RB corps is already good enough

LoMo, Morris, Taylor Now that would be a hell of a backfield I would love to sign this guy for a year depending on how much he wants of course. I also thought that Jordan was a good signing for the money but he was often to injured but effective when he played.

Taylor or J.Lewis would be an upgrade over Morris. May even be an upgrade of LoMo, but given his age, im willing to give him one last shot to show what he's got.

No, no they wouldn't be. Taylor, as much as I'd love him to be a Patriot, is about 3 years past his prime and still a likely candidate for a torn groin muscle, and Lewis runs the 40 in about 8 seconds now. Morris right now is better than either of those guys.

He might be well served to look towards Denver or Kansas City, now that I think on it. K.C. might get rid of Johnson, and the Broncos could certainly use a top quality runner.

No, no they wouldn't be. Taylor, as much as I'd love him to be a Patriot, is about 3 years past his prime and still a likely candidate for a torn groin muscle, and Lewis runs the 40 in about 8 seconds now. Morris right now is better than either of those guys.

Three years past his prime?

Yeah right. This past year was his first bad year in awhile, and it was more of a result of the team's overall horrible performance than anything.

In 2007, he had an excellent year, going to the Pro Bowl and having multiple 50+ yard TD runs.

I'll miss Freddie T. and wish him well.

Not saying the Patriots will avoid signing any and all offensive players, but the vast majority of our resources - $$$, picks, trade assets - need to go into continuing to rebuild our defense. There is little, if anything, wrong with the offense. No need to upgrade there.

I'm not in favor of signing him. First of all he's 33 years old and he's always been a pretty injury prone player. He's no longer effective in short yardage or the passing game. I think the Patriots could do a lot better than Taylor.

You cant be serious.

Lets look at the age/health of Taylor vs. Morris over the last three seasons:

Taylor (33) -
G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
13 13 143 556 3.9 34 1 16 98 6.1 17 0 1 1
15 15 223 1,202 5.4 80T 5 9 58 6.4 18 0 2 1
15 15 231 1,146 5.0 76 5 23 242 10.5 36 1 3 2

Morris (32*)

G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
13 7 156 727 4.7 35 7 17 161 9.5 42 0 1 1
6 2 85 384 4.5 49 3 6 35 5.8 18 0 0 0
12 4 92 400 4.3 55 1 21 162 7.7 44 0 4 2

You are gonna sit there and tell me with a straight face that Morris is the better back of the two right now?? Come-on man!

I love Sammy, but Taylor has been the much better back over the last few seasons and there is no logical reason to believe that he would not be an upgrade over Morris (if the $$ was right).

Last edited:
YES. SIGN HIM!

This one's obvious, IMO.

The team initially asked Taylor if he wanted to retire.
“I said, ‘No, I’m not ready for that,’” Taylor said.

Michael C. Wright of the Florida Times-Union reports that former Jaguars running back Fred Taylor offered to take a pay cut in order to remain with the team, but that the team said no.

Per PFT some interesting writing about him being cut guess they just really wanted him out of there. Looks like they are going to draft or get a FA RB to compliment MJD.

If he is willing to take less money to play for a winner then I would sign him in a second. We have the depth to have a quality running game in case he gets injured but he would be the big threat in the backfield that we don't have right now. Don't get me wrong I think LoMo, Morris, and BJGE are definitely capable of carrying the load, but none of them are the weapon Taylor would be. Might be a bit like adding Dillon was...

With a motivated LM, Sammy Morris, BJGE and KFaulk. Why are we thinking we need RB help? I'm confused. I think our offense is pretty much all set with the exception of the Bust Ben Watson. Let's focus on guys like Jabari Greer, Mike Brown and others that can help the team. We don't need a RB, that I know.

Taylor is a good kid, very team oriented too. This guy must be hungry for a championship just like Dillon was. I'd give him a shot if I could somehow blend him in with Morris, Faulk and Maroney.

If we can get an OLB, a good corner and even an RB and TE we'd be solid.

Yes...again...for cheap money only....a GOOD addition...but beacoup bucks?? No...theer are OTHER needs that are more important...defense....etc...but cheap?? Absolutely!!

Ha, I knew this thread would be here.

I wouldn't go after Taylor. Our 3-4 headed RB corps is already good enough

I totally agree and think with all the draft picks we have I think one can be used on a young guy as we have a few nice vets. Please say no to LJ Denver is a good place.

I'ld take him and IMO he would easily be an upgrade over Jordan. Come get a ring Taylor

I've always liked the guy. As I recall, he was cruising along pretty good, and then had a couple of injuries.
He's been somewhat under the radar ever since.
Am I thinking of the right guy?
He was a beast when he first showed up, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes