Welcome to PatsFans.com

Would Denver be interested in O'Connell?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patsfaninpa, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 8 / -3

Does Josh value him more highly than a player he's never worked with?
    Some of the teams interested in Cutler don't have a decent young qb to
    trade to Denver. But, if they overwhelmed Denver with draft picks and
    players, does Josh call BB about trading for O'Connell?
  2. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,279 / 2 / -3

Sure, trade him for #12. :D
  3. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 8 / -3

I was thinking a 2nd rounder or 2010 pick.
  4. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

No.

He's too young and inexperienced for Denver and too valuable here behind Brady. We got plenty of draft picks and the pickens are slim at the position this year. You're not going to be able to replace him developmentally with a player Bill apparently graded out a lot higher than a 3rd last year.

Denver either needs a starter as part of the deal (Quinn) or they will go the veteran jag and see what some kid's got route. And if they end up doing the latter they will probably draft a QB somewhere in the first.
  5. BradyBranch39

BradyBranch39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

...not this again...
  6. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

They can just draft a player with no NFL experience rather then give up a pick for a player with no NFL experience
  7. DW Toys

DW Toys Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -2

Intersting.
    DW Toys
  8. Brady'sButtBoy

Brady'sButtBoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 4 / -1

#12 Jersey

First, given the upheaval McDanny has brought upon the Donks, I'd consider it highly unlikely he'd try to parlay again with Pats after blowing up his once Pro Bowl QB to the point McDannyboy's brand new boss had to come out and announce a trade will occur. If McDannyBoy were to appear to be tugging on BB's coattails anymore than Denver fans already suspect he has, then by trying to acquire the Pat's 2nd best QB prospect McDannyboy may be done before he even starts if the team is overwhelmed by the disarray losing a Pro Bowl QB usually brings.

But, secondly, we don't know what McDannyboy saw day after day in practice with O'Connell throwing the ball.

Of course thirdly, BB has no intention of helping the Donks out of their internalized free fall. So if O'Connell is wanted by the Donks it would take a hefty offer (next year's 2nd, minimum) to shake him loose from BB's tree, I'd guess. A new coach who has already f'ed up one QB situation isn't likely to put himself on the boiler again by overpaying his old team for an untested commodity - regardless of how good O'Connell may have looked in practice.

Playing Chris Simms would be the much safer and more conventional move especially if they get a solid #1 for Cutler they can swap for Sanchez or whoever is the QB du jour.

This is not to say I'd rule out an O'Connell trade.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +349 / 24 / -22

#18 Jersey

Honestly, I expect them to trade a for a #1 and get Stafford or Sanchez, and let them learn under Simms for a year.
  10. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

They can't find a team with a decent young QB and they want O'Connell who is young and a QB. So are you saying that O'Connell is more "decent" than every QB on the Jets, 49ers, Lions, Redskins, Bears, Vikings, Bucs and every other team interested in trading for Cutler?

And if he you say yes, what do you base that on: his breathtaking performances last preseason?
  11. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +349 / 24 / -22

#18 Jersey

Sanity in this madness.
  12. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,674 / 70 / -75

Disable Jersey

O'Connell completed almost 67% of his passes last season and didn't throw a single interception.:snob:
  13. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +349 / 24 / -22

#18 Jersey

Ronnie Brown completed 67% of his passes last year and didn't throw a single interception. And he threw a TD.

But I don't think the Broncos are going to be calling the Dolphins about making Ronnie Brown their next QB, either.

(I assume you were being sarcastic, but you never know on this board... I mean, someone had to make this thread)
  14. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,674 / 70 / -75

Disable Jersey

Brown's passer rating of 149.3 was absolutely tremendous, too. I wonder if Pennington should be more worried about him than about Henne....
  15. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,708 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

Am I traped in Groundhog Day? A LOST time warp?
  16. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Next years's 2nd is not a hefty price for a guy you paid last year's 3rd for. In fact it would be less than a wash...and you mock Josh, McButtboy

Josh didn't F-up the donks situation so much as drafting Cutler three years ago did. Shannahan spent 3 seasons trying to prop up his #11 selection to no avail - they were no worse off with Jake - and in the process lost all remnants of his playoff caliber defense. Josh inherited a lousy situation. Bus Cook began angling for an extension for Cutler before Shannahan got canned. The canning just ramped up the process. I don't even doubt for a minute that the entire 11th hour 3 way trade was instigated by Cook in an effort to get his hypersensitive client a new deal one way or the other. He tried the same tack with Tampa and Favre last August...and while it didn't work then either it eventually got his client out of GB. QB's who demand to be traded because they don't feel the love usually lack sufficient stones (or heart or brains) to have been worth having.
  17. cmasspatsfan

cmasspatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Exactly, Josh isnt winning anything with Cutler at QB, neither is any team that trades for him. Your QB has to be on the same page as the coach and a leader (see Brady, Tom). This whole episode just brought Cutlers true colors to the forefront, they're better off shipping him out of town. Hopefully the Jests pick him up, BB will make him look silly twice a year.
  18. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Why stop with O'Connell. I'm sure we can work in a Matt Gutierrez for Champ Bailey trade.
  19. Feep50

Feep50 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kevin O'Connell isn't going anywhere! Period.....

Josh has plenty of QB's on other teams looking for a shot.

Josh can trade "Cry me a river" Cutler to the highest bidder and draft his future QB...
  20. Steamer86

Steamer86 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Wouldn't this be the same thing, giving up a pick (or using a pick) for an inexperienced QB. At least KO has a year of practice and learning.....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.