PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would Coles Be an Upgrade Over Branch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with Coles' game, but always thought of him as more of a possession receiver - like David Givens - than a deep threat like Branch.

In your opinion would Coles be an upgrade over Branch?

QB12

QB12 said:
I'm not too familiar with Coles' game, but always thought of him as more of a possession receiver - like David Givens - than a deep threat like Branch.

QB12

Nobody knows.

Just like nobody knew that Duane Starks was not an upgrade over Ty Law.

You are taking a RISK every time you bring in an outsider.

Just look at Monty Biesel, Duane Starks, and Chad Brown.

Last edited:
Given that Branch is crying on his sofa, I would say Bethel would be an upgrade :)

Who knows, but regular season Branch is a 13.0 YPC WR, a good, competent NFL WR can replace him.

Deion has an ability to cut while accelerating - a trait not a lot of wide receivers have. Coles doesn't have that. He's got Deion's speed and he's got good hands, but I don't think he's an upgrade.

QB12 said:
To answer more directly, Coles is more of a deep threat than Branch - who is also a posession type WR averaging about 13.0 YPC regular season (higher in the playoffs). Givens has a regular season average of 14.0 and Coles is at 13.3 although he was higher, around 15.0 until a few years ago when he hurt his toe.

What people don't seem to get is Branch is a clutch player. He strikes when it matters. Javon Walker, as a for instance, would always strike when it didn't make a bit of difference. He racked up some of the most useless catches and yardage I've ever seen. Are his stats more glitzy than Branch's, of course, so what? Deion Branch kicks his ass all over the place when it matters - when games are won, Javon Walker is missing in action. Branch is into the breach. In combat, he's what is called "a stud."

There are very few players like him. F this #-1 WR crap. All those Owens-type turds do is watch Deion Branch play from their couches.

Systems do not have heart when it matters. Systems do not run routes and get open and catch passes when it matters. QBs do not catch their own passes. Branch was not some accident, or the lucky mediocre fellow who had the good fortune to play for the great Tom Brady.

If that could happen, David Terrell, a guy Brady liked and wanted to succeed as a Patriot, would not have fallen flat on his face.

Branch is a truly great WR, and it will be hard for you guys to replace him.

Coles is good, but an upgrade over Branch? You've got to be kidding.

Coles is overrated and I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

He's got a chronic toe problem. If there's a WR from the Jests I'd take, it would be McCareins. He's good on medium and deep routes but the Jests QBs have been noodle-armed.

Only a sucker would take Coles, now.

No, NO, No.

QB12 said:

QB12

I guarantee that Coles would have more catches than Branch from Week 1 until Week 10. That is an upgrade.

I don't see it as an upgrade over Branch if all things were equal. They are not equal and I don't think they will be from here on out so I think right now the answer is Coles would help the New England Patriots this year more than I think Deion Branch would.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back