PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would Chicago Choose to Kick if they Win the Coin Toss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, IMO, in the NFL, it is foolish to give up the ball at any time.
Marty Morningweg did once, to start the overtime. There was a ferocious wind blowing and he elected to kick rather than receive. He figured the Bears would ned to get to the 20 at least before they could kick a FG and he could kick one even he he only got to the 45 or so. The only downside was that the the Lions didn't stop the Bears. The Bears drove down the field, scored, and won without the Lions offense ever touching the ball. Except for that, it was a brilliant maneuver.

Last edited:
Marty Morningweg did once, to start the overtime. There was a ferocious wind blowing and he elected to kick rather than receive. He figured the Bears would ned to get to the 20 at least before they could kick a FG and he could kick one even he he only got to the 45 or so. The only downside was that the the Lions didn't stop the Bears. The Bears drove down the field, scored, and won without the Lions offense ever touching the ball. Except for that, it was a brilliant maneuver.

Ouch. I didn't know that had actually ever happened.

I think that once they moved the kick offs back 5 yards, not taking the ball in OT no matter what the weather is just not the right play.

Interestingly, when they moved the kick off back 5 yards, it increased average starting position by about 8 yards. That seems weird to me why would 5 yards make an 8 yard difference? Maybe it's because touchbacks are so rare once they moved the kick off back.

Also, the recent overtime statistics say that the team that gets the ball first now wins about 58 to 60 percent of the time. Back in the day when the kick off was from the 35, it used to be 50/50. Coincidence? I doubt it. Will the owners ever change it? No way. The kick off was moved back in order to mask the fact that the new clock rules result in fewer plays and allow more commercials.

However, I really think that the kick off for overtime should be moved back up to the 35. I think it would make it closer to a 50/50 proposition.

Thanks for enlightening me. From NFL.com:

"Coin Toss
1. The toss of coin will take place within three minutes of kickoff in center of field. The toss will be called by the visiting captain before the coin is flipped. The winner may choose one of two privileges and the loser gets the other:

(a) Receive or kick

(b) Goal his team will defend

2. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the officials of their respective choices. The loser of the original coin toss gets first choice."

You can still bet on heads or tails as well as which team willl win the toss.

LOL, all these years i watched football i never knew the exact rule. I thought the team that wins the toss, and chooses to recieve, that the loser automatically recieved the start of the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes