PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would Bruschi start on this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayo is a good player, but he's not as good as Bruschi. Mayo gets a lot of tackles but hardly any big plays. Bruschi has a history of making big plays. If Bruschi was playing in last years Super Bowl that TD pass to Cruz would have been picked. Mayo was in perfect position to make the play but never turned to face the ball. Collinsworth called out Mayo on that play.

Super Bowl XLVI (46) Victor Cruz Touchdown And Salsa Dance (HD) - YouTube

none of our linebackers seem to be very good in coverage.

Bruschi's ability to see plays before they happened, is unprecedented. In this regard he is in a class of his own in comparisons to the other ILBs who have tried to take his place.

To be fair to Mayo, who is entering his 5th year, Bruschi required more or less the same amount of time to develop into the player he was known for being, hereafter.

Yeah, I knew people would be all over that haha! I almost put: but even this is arguable, at the end of my post.

Bruschi did have that intangible quality to make the big plays/be clutch that mayo doesn't have. I think overall though Mayo has more talent. He did show a few big plays last year that we hadn't seen from him before. Let's not forget Bruschi played in a shutdown defense that had remarkable players at every position. I think he could focus more on his role and anticipating plays while Mayo has to be all over the field to make the tackles. I'd like someone to enlighten me as to why last season Mayo wasn't used like in the Bucs' preseason game. He was so freaking dominant!

that's because even the most astute NFL talent evaluators wouldn't claim to be able to see the difference between a good LB and a Ray Lewis 4 days into Training Camp

That was worth watching again. I think Tedy picks that.

Now my feeling is that Tedy would be a HOF candidate if it came down to his coverage ability only.

Do we need to start posting video's of his sacks, forced fumbles, and tackles for a loss? To suggest Bruschi couldn't start on this current D is completely asinine.

Sure, and when Ray Lewis was a rookie you would have said the same thing.

Is that how it works? Hightower is a rookie, Ray Lewis was once a rookie, so Hightower=Lewis. Why stop @ Lewis? I predict he's the next coming of the Lord, and before you object, remember when he was a carpenter.....

Last edited:
Your very generous. You just started a rookie who has never played an NFL game over last years vets, and one of the smartest LB's to play for the Pats. Oh yea, he made major contributions in putting rings on three fingers. You did trump the post from the other day which stated two defensive linemen would start.

I was looking at that pick that Tedy made versus the Dolphins in the snow game (somebody here has the pic in his sig file) and it struck me that he would be no lock to start on this team. What an odd moment. That pick was one of my favorite moments of all time. The guy that made it may not be able to start on this team? This team with this "crappy" defense?

I just can't see him (rather small) beating Spikes and Hightower on the inside. Given the size/athletic advantages of Spikes and Hightower, I can't find the argument to make on behalf of Tedy except that he was good in coverage, was smart, opportunistic, etc. But dominant like what I see once Hightower learns the ropes? I don't see that in Tedy.

Tedy was a smart play caller but I think Hightower has all of that and more.

I think Tedy was a superior third down ILB but I'm not sure he could start and be an every down ILB here.

I suppose we have to account for Mayo as well. If Bill wanted to fiddle by swapping Hightower and Mayo then Tedy would be competing with Mayo. I don't see it working for Tedy there either.

Or am I missing something about Tedy?

BananaRepublican
Practice Squad
This ....Banana should peel himself.

Last edited:
To the rest of Patsfans: If it was my signature that started BananaRepublican thinking down this ridiculous path, I apologize for any part I played, as clearly unintentional as it was.

To BanaRepub: BananaMan, go punch yourself in the mouth until you feel pain again. I think your brain has shut down.

And don't ever mention my signature again.

I'm sure he's a nice kid, but he's about as sharp as a bag of wet mice.

that's because even the most astute NFL talent evaluators wouldn't claim to be able to see the difference between a good LB and a Ray Lewis 4 days into Training Camp
Yes they would.

If they saw him go sideline to sideline and make a tackle that nobody else could make, bingo, the light goes on. Well he's all of that.

Now if you're saying that as professionals they would still want more to sample then sure, I can easily see that. They're paranoid about making a mistake. Their lives depend on it. Of course they're going to hedge.

But today is today and we are fans. No hedging on this kid for me.

Thanks for contributing your opinion to this stupid thread.

Sure, and when Ray Lewis was a rookie you would have said the same thing.

You heard it here first, folks. Tavon Wilson is the next Ed Reed. Since he's a rookie, and Reed was once a rookie, who's to say otherwise?

Last edited:
Yes they would.

If they saw him go sideline to sideline and make a tackle that nobody else could make, bingo, the light goes on. Well he's all of that.

Now if you're saying that as professionals they would still want more to sample then sure, I can easily see that. They're paranoid about making a mistake. Their lives depend on it. Of course they're going to hedge.

But today is today and we are fans. No hedging on this kid for me.

"going sideline to sideline and making a tackle that no one else can make" is not what separates Ray Lewis from good linebackers. These guys are all elite athletes at the top of the profession, there's virtually nothing they can do 4 days into camp that separates them from good to elite to god tier LB. They hadn't even gone full speed yet until tonight's practice.

I think WR is probably the only position where you'd see some freakish feats in practice that would really give you an indication of the upside of a player this early. The other positions are just too cerebral imo.

Last edited:
This thread would have been better if it was called "Would Monty Beisel start on this team?"

There's no way David Patten makes this team!

You heard it here first, folks. Tavon Wilson is the next Ed Reed. Since he's a rookie, and Reed was once a rookie, who's to say otherwise?
I would ask you to provide some evidence of that which probably doesn't exist. I can show you tape of Hightower doing things than only an animal can do.

And .... and .... (drum roll) he did them at Patriots Bootcamp South.

"going sideline to sideline and making a tackle that no one else can make" is not what separates Ray Lewis from good linebackers. These guys are all elite athletes at the top of the profession,
Please don't try to tell me that they are all the same physically.

I would ask you to provide some evidence of that which probably doesn't exist. I can show you tape of Hightower doing things than only an animal can do.

And .... and .... (drum roll) he did them at Patriots Bootcamp South.

Please do provide this tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back