PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would Bruschi start on this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Yes, Bruschi would start on this team.

2. We have no idea what we have in Hightower yet.

3. Stop making threads.

I don't know if they Pat's D will be as great as the Pat's D that won 3 superbowls, but I expect the defensive leadership to be just as good in the very near future. There are many strong, dedicated personalities on the defensive side of the ball again. I likey. I likey alot.

Haven't we had this thread every year since he retired? :rolleyes:

Today started as a gloomy, grey day here in western, NY. Just had that blaa feeling ever since I got up.

I want to thank the OP for starting this thread and throwing a little bit of comedy in my day to brighten my spirits. Thanks for the pick me up bro. :eat3:

Haven't we had this thread every year since he retired? :rolleyes:

Sort of. Previously, the arguments were "could Bruschi, at his current age, make the roster "now". At least this season, we have to assume Bruschi in his prime to determine if he'd be a starter. It is a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Would Lawrence Taylor, in his prime, start on this team? I don't think so.

Would Lawrence Taylor, in his prime, start on this team? I don't think so.

He'd probably be cut after the first week of training camp... then traded, after being cut, to the Jets.

Tedy Bruschi in hes prime would be a starter for just about every 3-4 defense in the NFL today so ya i think he would be a starter in this defense

Only Mayo is better than Bruschi. So, yeah.

Mayo is a good player, but he's not as good as Bruschi. Mayo gets a lot of tackles but hardly any big plays. Bruschi has a history of making big plays. If Bruschi was playing in last years Super Bowl that TD pass to Cruz would have been picked. Mayo was in perfect position to make the play but never turned to face the ball. Collinsworth called out Mayo on that play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGnnNdkea10

Last edited:
Nathan, would you start that Tedy over a young Ray Lewis?

That's where I'm goin' with this.

Nobody wants to say that they think we have another Ray Lewis right? I get that.

But we do.

Might want to wait until he takes an NFL snap or two before you say that.

people have short memories

as 'good' as the current LB's are, none of them would start for the 2003/2004 pats.........none of them

all told, I'm not even sure Ninko is any better than Matt Chatham

the current unit lacks the ability to be disruptive and comparatively has little big play ability......the sum of big plays in 2004 by bruschi,mcginest,vrabel,johnson,phifer,colvin is over 60 (sacks,INTS,FF's,PD's) while the 2011 group of carter,andersen,mayo,spikes,ninko,guyton,fletcher is around 40.....and we're basically talking about 4 positions in 2004 versus 5 in 2011

that said.....mayo has tons of time to change things

Last edited:

Bruschi's ability to see plays before they happened, is unprecedented. In this regard he is in a class of his own in comparisons to the other ILBs who have tried to take his place.

To be fair to Mayo, who is entering his 5th year, Bruschi required more or less the same amount of time to develop into the player he was known for being, hereafter.

Today started as a gloomy, grey day here in western, NY. Just had that blaa feeling ever since I got up.

I want to thank the OP for starting this thread and throwing a little bit of comedy in my day to brighten my spirits. Thanks for the pick me up bro. :eat3:
I felt your pain. I will mail you some mangoes later.

I was looking at that pick that Tedy made versus the Dolphins in the snow game (somebody here has the pic in his sig file) and it struck me that he would be no lock to start on this team. What an odd moment. That pick was one of my favorite moments of all time. The guy that made it may not be able to start on this team? This team with this "crappy" defense?

I just can't see him (rather small) beating Spikes and Hightower on the inside. Given the size/athletic advantages of Spikes and Hightower, I can't find the argument to make on behalf of Tedy except that he was good in coverage, was smart, opportunistic, etc. But dominant like what I see once Hightower learns the ropes? I don't see that in Tedy.

Tedy was a smart play caller but I think Hightower has all of that and more.

I think Tedy was a superior third down ILB but I'm not sure he could start and be an every down ILB here.

I suppose we have to account for Mayo as well. If Bill wanted to fiddle by swapping Hightower and Mayo then Tedy would be competing with Mayo. I don't see it working for Tedy there either.

Or am I missing something about Tedy?
Calm down, son. Take a deep breath, go to the beach, watch NASCAR, take in the Olympics. Comparing Tedy Bruschi to any of these guys who have yet to see a down in a pre-season game tells me you need a rest.

OK, I understand comedic value of letting this thread float.:cool:

28194.jpg

Last edited:
Might want to wait until he takes an NFL snap or two before you say that.
Nah. I'll stick with my gut instinct as risky as it seems. Besides he took a snap against Gronk and stood him up. DANGER Will Robinson.

I think he's another Ray Lewis. I think he is not only bigger, faster and stronger, but his IQ and his ability to read the field will surprise even fans of his or Tedy's. I think with that kind of talent you cannot hold it back just to avoid the problems he will have in his development. They will be small problems and they won't last forever. He would need to play. OK, so maybe not against the Titans, but he would need to play and Tedy would need to watch.

And that is what Drew did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back