PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would belichick ever trade tom brady?

Reaction score
Picture this scenario: Brady is in his late 30s and STATISTICALLY he is in the middle of the pack in terms of NFL quarterbacks. But his resume is godly (lets say 5 superbowls, 2 or 3 mvps, etc etc).

Do you think Belichick would trade him if the offer were good? Or would Belichick consider things like loyalty, legacy as a Patriot, and what he means to the organization?

Based on his track record Belichick doesn’t have a heart of soul. He is a businessman who looks at players as statically assets that have a value. And sometimes teams will inflate the value of players on other teams or may look at a player’s perceived value and be willing to trade a player with good statistical value for said player with inflated value (or perceived value).

Anyway, enough with the macroeconomics.

So, in a world where Tom Brady is a little older, a little slower and statically a little less valuable than he currently is, I have no doubt that Belichick would trade Tom Brady if he could find a team who would be stupid enough to trade for a resume.

And considering Belichick got a FIRST ROUND draft choice for Richard Seymour, it will happen.

Last edited:
There would have to be something huge lined up to replace him that is a sure thing not to be a bust. Because even when he gets older - you don't lose that drive, the motivation to win, the ability to lift up your teammates and go into a huddle when you're down 11 points and say "d%#*!@t we're going to win this thing now lets go". He does that constantly. He really gets the people around him to play better and that counts for a lot.

I think one of the best things about Tom Brady's game is the mental part of it. He won't lose that - and I hope that he retires a Patriot because that kind of leadership and passion is too valuable to replace.

So to more directly answer your question - no I don't think Belichick would trade him away. I don't think his ability to read defenses, sidestep in the pocket, and deliver an accurate ball will diminish so greatly that it would require a trade because Belichick knows that the smarts and drive this guy has is too tough to get rid of.

Last edited:
I would say he would trade Brady just like the 49ers traded Joe montana or pats trading off Drew bledsoe, just as long as they have someone solid as QB and has atleast 1 to 2 years being mentored by Brady

Why wouldn't he? because of what he did in the "past" ?

there is no loyalty in professional sports, and I'm sure both sides are aware of that. The problem that I have is that I don't see Brady increasing his value as he gets older. I think he would have fetched a premium last year, and when the Pats had a perfectly good alternative in Cassel.

I think BB would trade almost anyone, but not Brady, unless Brady liked the idea and was cool with it. BB might treat the game like a business, but I've always detected a special bond between him and Brady, and him and Bruschi.

I predict BB retires the year Brady retires or leaves the team.

In 2011, Tom Brady will be the quarterback of the Oakland Raiders

and will lead them to three Superbowls before retiring from football.

He will have a good life with Gisele and their 6 daughters.

if tom had been 2 or 3 years older this past off season he would be the one in kansas city.

Sadly.......they all decline. Brady will too. If the right circumstances ever present themselves, Brady would be traded.

Brady strikes me as possibly being the type of player who could retire while still productive. I mean it's not like he's one of these guys forever chasing a ring. He's pretty much accomplished it all early in his carreer. I have a suspicion BB may never have to make this decision.

if tom had been 2 or 3 years older this past off season he would be the one in kansas city.

Sadly enough I would agree with this statement. I say it's sad because even after Tom led the Pats to four Super Bowls, one little mis-step and you are yesterday's news.

I am going to get killed for this but I think Brady will be traded this off season. Enjoy him while he is here.

We learned our lesson, when we traded Babe Ruth............Since then when
have we traded a sport's legend, certainly not Bill Russell, Bobby Orr, Ted Williams................Brady will retire before he is traded.........he will remain a legend in New England sports lore and be more valuable to the Patriots image, then draft choices..............

For the right value, without a doubt. If someone offered him a boatload of 1st round picks and BB had a QB he thought good step in and lead this team or saw one in the draft, I think he'd do it regardless of what Brady has done for this franchise. BB is always looking ahead and looking for value.

I can't believe how many of you think this is a good idea? There are only a handful of elite QB's in the league, and regardless of recent play, Brady is still one of them. Do we really want Tavaris Jackson, Shaun Hill, or Jake Delhomme guiding our team? Or how about Jason Campbell or Jay Cutler? All are starting QB's and they can't hold Brady's jock. I agree that he's lost some of his edge, but on talent alone he's better than 90% of the starting QB's out there. He need's to find that passion that's made him one of history's best. and he will. C'mon, he's only 32! This team needs a shake-up, but not at the QB position, a guy like this comes around once in franchise history, enjoy it.

Picture this scenario: Brady is in his late 30s and STATISTICALLY he is in the middle of the pack in terms of NFL quarterbacks. But his resume is godly (lets say 5 superbowls, 2 or 3 mvps, etc etc).

Do you think Belichick would trade him if the offer were good? Or would Belichick consider things like loyalty, legacy as a Patriot, and what he means to the organization?

Based on his track record Belichick doesn’t have a heart of soul. He is a businessman who looks at players as statically assets that have a value. And sometimes teams will inflate the value of players on other teams or may look at a player’s perceived value and be willing to trade a player with good statistical value for said player with inflated value (or perceived value).

Anyway, enough with the macroeconomics.

So, in a world where Tom Brady is a little older, a little slower and statically a little less valuable than he currently is, I have no doubt that Belichick would trade Tom Brady if he could find a team who would be stupid enough to trade for a resume.

And considering Belichick got a FIRST ROUND draft choice for Richard Seymour, it will happen.

I see your point..... but TFB is the FRANCHISE and our QB. The mutual trust between the two must be profound and they need each other. Brady still has at least 5 years left in him. I very much doubt that Tom Brady gets traded.

Jimmy Clausen is high on my list from ND......... I would grab him because I see him falling into later territory because of Bradford, Pike, McCoy and others.

-If the Pats are able to land Clausen....... I would grab him.

I know we have other needs, but Clausen could fall victim to a later round 1.

Golden Tate has impressed me as a WR......

I am just throwing **** out there.

TFB is still the franchise imo..... if we have an option to land Clausen and groom him under TFB....... all the power to us.

I hate ND btw..... just respect a few players

Yeah, you act like Tom Brady is just going to vanish into thin air. If we get a Cutler-like package than we can DRAFT his replacement. The Raiders pick in 2011 is the most obvious one. Imagine the Patriots with a Joe Flacco or Matt Stafford or Matt Ryan.

The reason this comes up is because Brady is going to walk after the 2010 season and will likely command a huge, huge deal. And, yes, you can sign elite talent and still overpay. And, no, overpaying is never good. Not even for #12.

NEVER!!!!! Brady is a Pat for life. He will retire as a Pat and the #12 will be retired. :D

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back