PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would be worst? 18-1, or 16/17-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loloooooooooooo

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I've been debating this with a friend and I believe losing in the 2nd round is worse than losing the superbowl... any arguments?

Going undefeated and losing before you got to the SB.

They all suck.

If we had to lose, though, I'd rather lose in the Super Bowl, so we could at least enjoy a couple playoff victories beforehand.

I thought the Colts going 16-3 was worse, but that's probably me. They 'lost' the perfect season, and then they actually lost the Superbowl. However, people won't remember it like that.

But in this case, I think going 1 and done after a perfect season would be worse, but the Superbowl loss just hurts more.

Last edited:
going 16-1 would be the worst, lol

Losing to the seahawks :)

Last edited:
I want to say it doesn't matter, but I don't think it gets worse than being 39 seconds away from 19-0 only to see it destroyed in an instant.

16-1 would suck but the heartbreak of 18-1 cannot be trumped. Especially the way it happend.

Last edited:
I want to say it doesn't matter, but I don't think it gets worse than being 39 seconds away from 19-0 only to see it destroyed in an instant.

All I can say is that I must have a more active imagination, because I can certainly think of something far, far worse.

Well, I'm not quite sure what you mean by worse. Obviously the 18-1 team would have had more success. In terms of how much of a catastrophe it is though, 18-1 by a mile.

It's funny how one fluke play can make the difference between the "best team ever" and just a great team.

I think 16/17-1 would be a bigger disappointment because you don't even question your presence in the superbowl when you enter the playoffs at 16-0.

IMO, the worst is when you are in a winning position in the superbowl (being undefeated) and than a ******* miracle happens and you lose... :(

18-1 hurts more at the time. 16-1 hurts more OVER time. I truly believe that with each passing year, the 2007 season (while still heartbreaking) will be seen more and more as an exceptional run. Going undefeated and then one and done in the playoffs can never be viewed quite that way.

I've been debating this with a friend and I believe losing in the 2nd round is worse than losing the superbowl... any arguments?

Mentally, for the fans, losing in the Super Bowl, no doubt. It was a haunting defeat.

But in terms of legacy, losing before then hurts worse.

When we look back upon it, the thing most people remember about SB42 is a lucky helmet catch. If that's what is remembered as our undoing, so be it. It just was not our day.

Last edited:
Mentally, for the fans, losing in the Super Bowl, no doubt. It was a haunting defeat.

But in terms of legacy, losing before then hurts worse.

When we look back upon it, the thing most people remember about SB42 is a lucky helmet catch. If that's what is remembered as our undoing, so be it. It just was not our day.

Its different for everyone. For me, the more emotionally invested I become the worse the loss feels.

For example, when the Pats lost to the Bears and Packers in those SBs, I was disappointed, but not depressed (relatively speaking).

When the Pats lost SB 42 and the Sox lost in '86 and '03, I was depressed and for me that lasts a couple of days. Life goes on...

The problem with SB42 is that for fans you ALWAYS want your team to be remembered for their accomplishments. With so much riding on that game- and to lose, seeing those highlights or someone talking about it, because of the emotional investment plain 'ole makes me uncomfortable.

With that said, with the Pats beating the Iggles in SB 39, it validated the "Patriots Dynasty" which validated their immortality in pro football history. With that comes the, 'sports high'. its great to be there but sucks to come down from if your team falls short.

SB 42 validated that the 2007 Patriots were the greatest team ever that couldn't close the deal- which is completely unfair but true.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what's worst: moronic threads like this mulling what's worse.

Last edited:
All I can say is that I must have a more active imagination, because I can certainly think of something far, far worse.

It depends on context. If you're thinking outside of sports then course there's much worse. Easily.

If it's within sports, it certainly helps that we had 3 SB titles already, and that we're spoiled silly post-Rust. And I suppose being a Jets fan is a much worse fate. But for a game itself, for everything that season meant, that was as cruel an outcome as you can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back