Welcome to PatsFans.com

Would-be robber shot dead by victim

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by 2000army, Oct 11, 2009.

1. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Would-be robber shot dead by victim | 6abc.com - 10/11/09 - Philadelphia News - 6abc.com

WEST OAK LANE - October 11, 2009 (WPVI) -- A would-be robber is dead and police say it was his victim who fought back with a gun!

The confrontation happened on the 6400 block of North 15th Street, near 65th Avenue, in Philadelphia's West Oak Lane section just after midnight Sunday.

Police say the 24-year-old suspect approached a man, pulled out a gun, and demanded money. But the victim was also armed, and he shot the would-be robber in the chest.

The suspect died from his wounds at the scene.

Police say the suspect had robbed two people earlier in the night.

No charges are expected against the victim who police say had a permit to carry a gun.

2 people without guns were robbed ..... 1 with a gun was not.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

Sad that someone was shot dead over money. If someone had to die, it's better that it's the robber, but at least the robber didn't kill anyone.
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

2 people will sleep well - minus a few bucks. 1 will have retained his few bucks, but will probably have blood-soaked nightmares for the rest of his life.
  4. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

lol ..... what a victim mentality.... do you think someone who was robbed at gunpoint will sleep well??????
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

I've not had a problem. The first few days were iffy - but I'm sure those days would have lasted a hell of a lot longer if I had watched someoe die and known that I'd killed him.

Just out of curiousity, how many of you who know so much and feel so comfortable have actually seen someone die violently?
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +555 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I am convinced I had my throat slashed in another life. I have been paranoid about it all my life and there's no explanation for it. I sleep with my .38 under my pillow - so - you don't want to come in my house. :nono:
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

They don't want to hear this one, this might save somebody else's life down the line, if this victim handed him the money like a sniveling little rabbit there's a good chance he might be the dead one then next month the crook might have done it all over again and killed ONE OF YOU.

If you want to dance you have to pay the fiddler.

Attention Rat Bastards:
    Warning, the next guy you rob might "fight back" there's a lot of guns out there, if you have one I want one.
  8. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

9. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

I am sure a few people in this forum will light a candle for the poor robber.
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Bring him back to life, then shoot him again.

Attention Scumbags:
    We have guns now and bullets.
    Praise Jusus
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 5 / -22

Who is Jusus????
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Mary, Joseph and Gods son, I saw him in my yard.
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

There's a chance that sooner or later the robber would have used his gun on someone isn't there? Who knows how many of these life or death situations he put himself in the past and how many he would have in the future? If he continued I think sooner or later he'd feel threatened enough and if he had an opportunity he'd surely use his gun. Maybe more lives were saved here than were lost. At the same time the fellow might just have been a desperately poor man through no fault of his own that was so backed in a corner that he saw this as the only way out. Why do I get the feeling that some here feel the gun ownership for the robber is more valid than it is for the guy who owns it for protection?
    But even if I give him every benefit doubt then I can't escape the fact that it is he that put him and the innocent public in lethal harms way.

You seem to be hinting that the victim killed the robber to save his few dollars. On the contrary……Who here wouldn't feel their life was being threatened staring down the barrel of a gun? Maybe the thought of his kids losing their dad was the motivation to defend himself

Look, I don’t like hand guns. I don’t own one and I don’t plan on getting one just because of the potential for the unintended consequences outlined in this thread. That said I can’t speak for anyone else and must admit that the victim in this case probably is glad he had a gun and may owe his life and his family’s well being to it.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

I work with drug addicts in a residential program. These people are either in the program because they'd otherwise have to go to jail or because they are trying to turn their lives around. While a few of these people have anger issues and could potentially be dangerous, they are all good and decent people who made some really bad decisions, often because of terrible upbringings. While it's true that there are people out there who are capable of killing, the overwhelming majority of people are not killers. My guess is that robber died because he hesitated for a split second unlike the person who killed him. Justice most likely was not served in this instance, and while the guy who did the shooting should not be prosecuted, he is certainly not a hero, which I think is the point of the original post in this thread.
  15. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 6 / -8

He's like Jesus, but he doesn't believe he's the messiah :)
  16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

These down and out people that put themselves in these dangerous situations may not have the intention to kill anyone but if they are desparate enough to use a gun then all bets are off. Alcoholics that get behind the wheel of a car are not intentional killers either. They are responsible for what ever results from their decisions and any harm that comes to them should be accepted if not expected. That's the horrible reality.

I don't think the shooter is a hero but I don't think he should be crticised in any way shape or form either. This is not akin to a traffic violater finding himself in a high speed chase that a cop could have avoided. The robber posed a real and immediate threat to his life and he reacted appropriately. In those situations one does not have the benefit of hindsite or what the propensity for killing the robber posses.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

What happened was a tragedy, but the greater tragedy is that a desperate person was killed with a gun. Without knowing that person's backstory, it's difficult to say how great the tragedy is, but I feel there are two victims here. That's my only point. Neither is a hero. They did what they felt was necessary, and they were both wrong.
  18. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I disagree respectfully. The robber was cerainly wrong but we'll never know if the shooter was. The outcome could have been that desparate man lived to rob and kill again and the man that decided not to shoot is still being mourned by his family.
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

"Disagree respectfully"? What are you trying to do? Raise our standards here? :)

The original victim had no guarantees either. I think more often than not pulling a gun on a psychopath is very risky, because a psychopath won't think twice before shooting. I think it's generally understood that it's safer to comply with an armed criminal than to fight them.
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Nice. One less POS in the world.

Here's a tip for people. If you don't want to get shot by victims, don't go out committing crimes.