PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would BB draft SC WR Alshon Jeffery in the 1st round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they would draft a TE like Coby Fleener in the late 2nd/3rd before a WR.

Team needs a 3rd TE more because Solder can't be it forever if he moves to LT. Hernandez gets hurt a bunch so a backup to him is primary over a 3rd-4th WR.

WR may not be an issue if Brandon Lloyd follows McDaniels like he said he would.

I think they would draft a TE like Coby Fleener in the late 2nd/3rd before a WR.

Team needs a 3rd TE more because Solder can't be it forever if he moves to LT. Hernandez gets hurt a bunch so a backup to him is primary over a 3rd-4th WR.

WR may not be an issue if Brandon Lloyd follows McDaniels like he said he would.

Couldn't Garrett Mills take Hernandez's place on the active roster if Hernandez got hurt?

Im hoping he doesn't run well so he does fall to us.

Can our team survive with two receivers that run 4.6 or slower but only use one slot receiver on the field at a time?

Good question!

I don't think the Patriots would draft Jeffery or any other WR in the first round. One thing to watch is the FA market and Brandon Lloyd because that would allow the Patriots to get a project player instead of an immediate starter.

The value of Jeffries continues to vary and I have seen him as high as 14 and as low as 39. The skills, size, age are very attractive and we could use a 6'4" 230 lb receiver with immense talent but doesn't have explosive speed. If Jeffery had 4.3 speed, he would be a top 10 pick but his 4.5 - 4.6 speed puts him in the same category with many other players.

One quote I read really explains him the best...Jeffery reminds me a great deal of another former USC receiver – Southern California’s Mike Williams (now with the Seattle Seahawks). Like Williams, Jeffery’s NFL-caliber traits are his size, strength, soft hands and hand-eye coordination BUT the reality is both need to make plays with defenders clutching at them as neither has the agility or straight-line speed to consistently get open in the NFL.”

Jeffery will probably go in the first round BUT if he slips into the second round the Pats may go after him.

Last edited:

Going into the off-season the Pats have only 2 WR on the roster. Edelman and Chad OchoCinco. And many people feel that Edelman's best position is going to be as a Slot Corner. That makes WR a big need for the draft and for free agency.

Could I see the Pats drafting a TE? Sure. Though Dorin ****erson has a ton of talent..

He might, but I would caution that sometimes the big WRs don't pan out. Dwayne Jarrett from USC and BMW also from USC. I don't know why exactly. There are rumors that Jeffries was out of shape and sometimes disinterested this year. But I don't know how true that is. I am not an expert.

Given the complexities of the offense, a decently athletic wr who knows where to be might be a better fit.

Greetings,
Two receivers I think would be great pickups in the later round would be either Virginia Tech's Danny Coale or Jarret Boykin. I think they both have the potential to be pretty nice steals for any team that drafts them.
Celticboy04

Going into the off-season the Pats have only 2 WR on the roster. Edelman and Chad OchoCinco. And many people feel that Edelman's best position is going to be as a Slot Corner. That makes WR a big need for the draft and for free agency.

Could I see the Pats drafting a TE? Sure. Though Dorin ****erson has a ton of talent..

I guarantee we won't take a TE with in the first 3 rounds.

Greetings,
Two receivers I think would be great pickups in the later round would be either Virginia Tech's Danny Coale or Jarret Boykin. I think they both have the potential to be pretty nice steals for any team that drafts them.
Celticboy04

Just an aside, the Patriots, currently, do not have any draft picks beyond the 4th round.. So, until they trade for some, any "late rounders" will be UDFA.. Of which both Coale and Boykin are projected as right now.

I bet you would have guaranteed we wouldn't take an offensive lineman with the 17th pick last year too.

Not sure but I do know that BB is going to trade down 4,283 times and draft at least 1 more 5'10" 185 pound corner in the first, second, or third round.

I bet you would have guaranteed we wouldn't take an offensive lineman with the 17th pick last year too.

No the Solder pick made perfect sense (Light was unsigned during the draft) if we weren't going to trade up. Solder was the best player available by faaaaaaar.

Just like you guarantee that the Pats won't draft someone to play safety???

Your guarantees are worthless.

I kinda hope we get a decent WR in free agency and use maybe a 3rd/4th round pick on a WR with massive potential but who needs some polishing. Hopefully Brandon Lloyd will follow Mcdaniels out here like has been mentioned. Then there people like Vincent Jackson, Desean Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colsten or my personal favorite Dwayne Bowe! I hope we don't use one of the first rounders on Jeffery, if he falls to us in the second then hes gotta be worth considering though. Theres an abundance of DE's and OLB's in this draft, using our two first round picks on one of each is my preferred option. Hopefully a couple of these guys are available Upshaw, Crick, Mercilus, Curry and Brown.

No the Solder pick made perfect sense (Light was unsigned during the draft) if we weren't going to trade up. Solder was the best player available by faaaaaaar.

I agree O line pick made perfect sense.

I think Solder was the most athletic O lineman available in the last draft by far.

I really like Sanu. I think he's amazing. Branch 2.0. He can run every route, line up every position, knows how to get open and has incredible hands. Maybe not the fastest WR, but definitely tough.

BJ cunningham from Michstate is good. I think they need to concentrate on smart football players who get the system rather than a physical specimen who wins on sheer athletic ability alone but may not understand the system.

Jefferies? Are we going 4-12 this year?

Jefferies is the most talented WR I have seen at the collegiate level in a long time...and I have watched AJ Green and Julio Jones in recent years.

He will be a top 10 pick. Book it.

Greetings,
Did you see Jeffrey's catch that sealed the Bama game? Simply amazing. He also powned that Bama secondary, full of All-Americans by simply man handling them. To me he is the most talented reciever I have ever seen play college football.
Celticboy04

Greetings,
Did you see Jeffrey's catch that sealed the Bama game? Simply amazing. He also powned that Bama secondary, full of All-Americans by simply man handling them. To me he is the most talented reciever I have ever seen play college football.
Celticboy04

There are knocks on Jeffrey. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's said that he's lazy and runs poor routes.. if that's true, then he won't be on the Pats list..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back