PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would BB consider Ahmad Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

borisman

In the Starting Line-Up
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Brooks will most likely be available for the supplemental draft in June(?) so the question is: since we still need an ILB would BB consider picking him and if yes, which round?

This guy is the perfect fit for our defense but also a lot of others. With his off-field troubles he might drop a bit. If not for the issues he'd be a 1st round pick. This is a tough call so if anyone has any updated info on this guy please post it here.

borisman said:
Brooks will most likely be available for the supplemental draft in June(?) so the question is: since we still need an ILB would BB consider picking him and if yes, which round?

This guy is the perfect fit for our defense but also a lot of others. With his off-field troubles he might drop a bit. If not for the issues he'd be a 1st round pick. This is a tough call so if anyone has any updated info on this guy please post it here.

No way, no how. Whatever round you pick in the sup draft, you must give up the same pick in next years draft. Wait and sign as a UDFA.

He doesn't excite me with his "issues" but I will admit I'm wondering who our 4th starting LB (or rotation of) will be.

I loved him at the beginning of the year, but his character is a concern to me now. If he was smart, he wouldn't declare for the supplemental draft, but transfer to 1-AA and try to re-prove himself as a healthy, productive player with a good attitude.

dryheat44 said:
I loved him at the beginning of the year, but his character is a concern to me now. If he was smart, he wouldn't declare for the supplemental draft, but transfer to 1-AA and try to re-prove himself as a healthy, productive player with a good attitude.
Yes, thanks for pointing-out the 1-AA option.

It's a huge plus that BB knows Al Groh very well. Al can tell him things that he possibly couldn't to others he's not too familiar with. That's going to make the decision a lot easier. But Romeo, Mangini and Parcells also know Groh very well and have picks before the Pats in every round.

borisman said:
But Romeo, Mangini and Parcells also know Groh very well and have picks before the Pats in every round.
After drafting 3 LB high this past weekend, I doubt the Browns will be going after another one real high.

Ahmad Brooks

dryheat44 said:

Following to ACC as closely as I do, I can tell you this. Ahmad was going to come out, but he had an injury and he was talked out of it by several people. They convinced him that 2006 was so deep in LB's, that he would be crazy to come out now. I think that was good logic, because everyone saw him as a top ten pick in 2007. The fact that he got kicked off the team was a shock to him. He never saw that coming, even after his Marcus Vick moment. I don't believe he needs to prove himself, at least in his mind. I don't know how teams view his recent transgression (it wasn't his first), but I have to think that there is someone who would be willing to spend a #1 on him in the supplemental. He's got the talent, but probably wouldn't be ready to go in year 1. At least not right off the bat. Whether or not BB would see him as a patriot-type, I don't know. Division 1-AA really isn't an option for him. He has nothing to gain (IMHO) and can only get hurt (physically). So, now is the time.

Rene Vallieres said:
Following to ACC as closely as I do, I can tell you this. Ahmad was going to come out, but he had an injury and he was talked out of it by several people. They convinced him that 2006 was so deep in LB's, that he would be crazy to come out now. I think that was good logic, because everyone saw him as a top ten pick in 2007. The fact that he got kicked off the team was a shock to him. He never saw that coming, even after his Marcus Vick moment. I don't believe he needs to prove himself, at least in his mind. I don't know how teams view his recent transgression (it wasn't his first), but I have to think that there is someone who would be willing to spend a #1 on him in the supplemental. He's got the talent, but probably wouldn't be ready to go in year 1. At least not right off the bat. Whether or not BB would see him as a patriot-type, I don't know. Division 1-AA really isn't an option for him. He has nothing to gain (IMHO) and can only get hurt (physically). So, now is the time.

A #1 on a guy with his injury issues and character issues? Are you serious? He might never play again. I've been wrong before, but I'd be surprised at more than a 4th round pick.

It'd be great if we could get this guy for any pick 3rd round or lower. However most other teams are probably thinking the same, so I'll bet he goes to a team that gets to pick early in the third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back