PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would anybody be interested in a Revis for Samuel deal??? [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Would anybody be interested in a Revis for Samual deal???

No way. Samuel is proven and the only thing Revis has proven is he is a pain in the ass to deal with. No thanks.

I would do it for sure with the main problem being that Revis wants a 5 year deal (that's what I read anyway) and we know how that went with Watson.

Of course it won't happen but it's a very viable way out for both teams. And if The Jest is going to live up to expectations it's something they'd need to think about even though Samuel is expensive.

Children, play nice or Uncle Box will invite Keegs over to raise the level of discourse. :rolleyes:
I think this has to do with timing...good for the Jets..getting a player that is a thorn away..and getting a player (much more proven from NE). Timing is bad for NE...as the FO needs to stay strong on this. In other circumstances..it might be OK but not now. Samuel needs his money and will report or risk becoming irrelevent and having a bad year. Trading him now is giving in and that is NOT the way this FO needs to be now. GREAT for teh Jets..no deal.
The timing is all bad for the Jest regardless, even missing much of Training Camp BB could have this kid ready to step in by midseason, and have him locked up for another five seasons. I'm sure the sticking point is Tangeni trying to lock this kid up for six years in the face of Nate Clements - a problem the Pats would also have with him.

Last edited:

Someone with more knowledge about the cap and rookie pools will need to confirm, but I don't think we have the rookie pool money to trade for and sign Revis. You cannot go over the rookie cap to sign rookies. I guess the Jets could sign him to an one year minimum and trade him and then we can give him a long term deal, but still don't think you can avoid the rookie cap by doing that.

This is a juvenile thread based on something that has absolutely, positively NO CHANCE IN HELL of ever happening.

Then go start a grownup thread and get the hell out of this one.

I didn't start this thread, but since I'm the one getting both the credit and blame ;), I thought I'd elaborate....or at least explain my positon better.

If the Pats believe that Samuel will be in on the field for the first game, or the Jet believe that Revis will be in camp in a few days, then OBVIOUSLY nothing is going to happen.

This trade Idea is ALL about supposition and the assessment of value. Lets suppose the Pats have a reasonable expectation that Samuel DOES plan to sit out the 10 games that has been talked about. If that were so, then the Pats would have to deal with a significant distraction for most of the season and THEN have a less than football ready CB for the last third of the season...and still be a distraction.

Lets say that the issues between the Jets and Revis are not close to a signing, and it looks like the hold out could be prolonged. THEN there is a definite reason for the 2 teams to talk.

Again the Jets get a top CB, that solidifies their secondary. Which is very important for them, since while our defense starts with the DL, theirs will have to start secondary. Revis is a great prospect but still wont give them what their defense needs right off the bat.

The weaken their most immediate rival in the division...somewhat. They get someone they can afford, and they now have one of the best back 4's in the league

The Pats can better afford to lose Samuel, since, in this scenerio, a big destraction would be eliminated. The Pats have more than enough talent at DL and LB to compensate for the loss of a premier talent at CB. Even without Sameul they have good solid guys to replace him. Maybe not to his level, but no chopped liver either. Also getting Wilson and Harrison back helps as well as the drafting of Merriweather.

They also add some needed size to the CB positoin. They get a guy who can reasonably be project to be a #1 type CB within 3 years. They get a guy who can come in IMMMEDIATELY and contribute in situational defenses. They get a guy who can contribute in the return game right away. They get a guy who is much more cap friendly over then next 5 years. And finally, they now have SIX first day picks in next year's draft.

BTW- if I were them, I'd give him a 5 year deal.

This trade Idea is ALL about supposition and the assessment of value.

And, limited to that, it's an interesting intellectual exercise. You'd have to also figure-in that the Jets gave up value to get to the Revis pick; plus, you'd need to add some sort of wildcard value for the daydreaming every team does with its new talent (e.g. the sort of thing that caused the Red Sox to keep Masterson from the White Sox for Dye).

Also, you'd have to consider that the franchise tag, by association only, attaches an inflated value to Samuel. That the CBA provides compensation of two first-round picks, doesn't mean, in the real world, that he's worth even one.

I didn't start this thread, but since I'm the one getting both the credit and blame ;), I thought I'd elaborate....or at least explain my positon better.

If the Pats believe that Samuel will be in on the field for the first game, or the Jet believe that Revis will be in camp in a few days, then OBVIOUSLY nothing is going to happen.

This trade Idea is ALL about supposition and the assessment of value. Lets suppose the Pats have a reasonable expectation that Samuel DOES plan to sit out the 10 games that has been talked about. If that were so, then the Pats would have to deal with a significant distraction for most of the season and THEN have a less than football ready CB for the last third of the season...and still be a distraction.

Lets say that the issues between the Jets and Revis are not close to a signing, and it looks like the hold out could be prolonged. THEN there is a definite reason for the 2 teams to talk.

Again the Jets get a top CB, that solidifies their secondary. Which is very important for them, since while our defense starts with the DL, theirs will have to start secondary. Revis is a great prospect but still wont give them what their defense needs right off the bat.

The weaken their most immediate rival in the division...somewhat. They get someone they can afford, and they now have one of the best back 4's in the league

The Pats can better afford to lose Samuel, since, in this scenerio, a big destraction would be eliminated. The Pats have more than enough talent at DL and LB to compensate for the loss of a premier talent at CB. Even without Sameul they have good solid guys to replace him. Maybe not to his level, but no chopped liver either. Also getting Wilson and Harrison back helps as well as the drafting of Merriweather.

They also add some needed size to the CB positoin. They get a guy who can reasonably be project to be a #1 type CB within 3 years. They get a guy who can come in IMMMEDIATELY and contribute in situational defenses. They get a guy who can contribute in the return game right away. They get a guy who is much more cap friendly over then next 5 years. And finally, they now have SIX first day picks in next year's draft.

BTW- if I were them, I'd give him a 5 year deal.

I can see Winfield traded in a swap from Minnesota or even an older Shawn Springs from Washington but all this talk about trading Samuel for an unproven rookie corner who has no NFL credentials nor played an NFL down is crazy,ludicrous and dumb this thread needs to end..quickly IMO

I doubt it would happen since the Pats and Jets have as much love for each other as ... well the Pats and Jets.. I dont know if that would be a good 1 and 1 swap for the present, but the future would be pretty good at corner..
why would the jets trade someone who hasn't even played a down yet? sounds ******ed

Why don't we base trades involving Samuel at least if heard by a legitimate media source?

Not by some guy who is out of the real world and decides to type an idea at home on his PC keyboard which is NOT possible nor has it been even remotely mentioned in the same sentence by ANY reliable source connected to the NFL :rolleyes:

Bottom line is this idea is based on NOTHING,Just a waste to fill in a new post for some wild reading material.

And, limited to that, it's an interesting intellectual exercise.

wow

i thought marbles were an interesting intellectual exercise for jets fans

who knew

wow

i thought marbles were an interesting intellectual exercise for jets fans

who knew

Please try harder if you're looking to spar. Inspire me.

Please try harder if you're looking to spar. Inspire me.

not looking to inspire you by any stretch

my time on the interweb is solely for my edutainment

consider yourself incidental at best

have a nice weekend

not looking to inspire you by any stretch

my time on the interweb is solely for my edutainment

consider yourself incidental at best

have a nice weekend

Aww, come on. Look, I'll even start you out:

"Sundayjack baby momma so fat. . . "

The classics ALWAYS work.

I can see Winfield traded in a swap from Minnesota or even an older Shawn Springs from Washington but all this talk about trading Samuel for an unproven rookie corner who has no NFL credentials nor played an NFL down is crazy,ludicrous and dumb this thread needs to end..quickly IMO
Didn't we in effect trade Branch for an unproven rookie safety who has no NFL credentials nor played an NFL down?

All first round picks are unproven rookies, and none have any NFL credentials or played a single NFL down, yet first round picks are highly desired. Teams like the Redskins who habitually trade away those draft picks for veterans are mocked and ridiculed, and further more, it hasn't turned out very well for them.

Franchising a player and trading him for a first round pick is a terrific idea. We've done it before, at least twice. Other teams have done the same thing. Peerless Price comes immediately to mind. In that trade, no one accused Buffalo of being crazy, ludicrous and dumb. Why all of a sudden is it crazy ludicrous and dumb for us to do it?

I'm not trying to change your mind if you think trading a franchised player for a first round (what? 14th overall?) pick in the draft is crazy, ludicrous and dumb. Just asking what makes it so, you know, crazy, ludicrous and dumb.

That's all I'm asking.

I know others have made the point, but I just don't see Piolichick trading Asante to a Division rival.

Didn't we in effect trade Branch for an unproven rookie safety who has no NFL credentials nor played an NFL down?

All first round picks are unproven rookies, and none have any NFL credentials or played a single NFL down, yet first round picks are highly desired. Teams like the Redskins who habitually trade away those draft picks for veterans are mocked and ridiculed, and further more, it hasn't turned out very well for them.

Franchising a player and trading him for a first round pick is a terrific idea. We've done it before, at least twice. Other teams have done the same thing. Peerless Price comes immediately to mind. In that trade, no one accused Buffalo of being crazy, ludicrous and dumb. Why all of a sudden is it crazy ludicrous and dumb for us to do it?

I'm not trying to change your mind if you think trading a franchised player for a first round (what? 14th overall?) pick in the draft is crazy, ludicrous and dumb. Just asking what makes it so, you know, crazy, ludicrous and dumb.

That's all I'm asking.

Deion was not franchised and traded rather quicker than Asante so it is not related to that extent.

What my beef about this is there has be NO REAL Talk of anything regarding anything about this trade..This is not reality,just made upnot so much thats its dumb and ludicrous but more so it has no backbone ANYWHERE.

If you want to talk about a trade that seems far fetched BUT is in the media from a reliable source and not just a blog or a wild dream made up in a football forum then we have a good issue to discuss because some of those media leaks are actually possible, otherwise where do we end discussions of stuff that is not possible?.

I could start a discussion of how we should send Ben Watson over to the Bears for Greg Olson but that is not gonna happen either.

Last edited:

Aww, come on. Look, I'll even start you out:

"Sundayjack baby momma so fat. . . "

The classics ALWAYS work.

sorry--I don't speak gibberish

(there--I threw you a bone)

Answer............NO.

We dont do anything to help out the worst franchise in the NFL.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back