PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would a trade up for Hawk be worth it? possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosfan

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
With the dust starting to settle with Sey under wraps and Branch soon to follow got to thinking about making a move for Hawk. Would he bring something special to our club at a position of need? Would his potential and youth at that position be worth the cost? Would he be a difference maker on our defense? If GB is thinking about him wouldn't they be looking for some extra picks to revamp their club? What would the price be and would you pay it? Am thinking out loud here and looking for your comments, thanks.......

bosfan said:
With the dust starting to settle with Sey under wraps and Branch soon to follow got to thinking about making a move for Hawk. Would he bring something special to our club at a position of need? Would his potential and youth at that position be worth the cost? Would he be a difference maker on our defense? If GB is thinking about him wouldn't they be looking for some extra picks to revamp their club? What would the price be and would you pay it? Am thinking out loud here and looking for your comments, thanks.......

Anything's possible. For starters, it would likely cost us, at minimum, our first and second this year, and first next year. And it could be significantly higher. Is it worth it? I don't know. If the Pats had the #1 pick overall and couldn't trade it, I'd advocate drafting Hawk, so from the standpoint of his being an elite talent and a good fit, he's as worth trading up for as anybody. On the other hand, that's a steep, steep price to pay, and if God forbid he suffers a career-ending injury, it would set back the franchise a few years between the loss of draft picks and the salary cap hit from a top-five pick. I'm cool with whatever Belichick does. If he trades up for him, it's because in his eyes Hawk is a once-in-five-year talent.

Looking a bit further in the future, I think Ahmad Brooks has as much talent, although he wouldn't fit as seemlessly into the defense and has off-field question marks. But he's someone we could get cheaper in the supplemental draft. Of course, that doesn't help us this season.

As much as I would love to see Colvin, Hawk, Bruschi and Vrabel in the LB spots next year, it's hard to imagine BB biting the bullet on two firsts, a second and probably a 4th. However if he did, do that, we'd still have 3 first day picks.

No bleepin' way

It'd break the bank.

Keep calm and be content with his partner, Bobby Carpenter, who's a better fit for the NFL and Patriots, anyway.

Its possible....... is it worth it? I don't think so unless Hawk is the next LT or better..... IMHO

I don't think Hawk could carry LT's jock, but he's a whale of a football player none the less.

Would our 1, 2 and first 3 along with Klecko and that DL'man from LSU who's name escapes me at the moment do the trick? We get a premier player at LB and still have a 3rd and our seven day two picks.

And the Bruins can trade Hal Gill and Milan Jurcina for Alexander Ovechkin. While the Red Sox trade Adam Stern and David Wells for Johan Santana.

Yeah, that trade would work. Who doesn't want Klecko?

I don't think he's worth THAT much..break the bank?? No way!! Yes, I'd certainly take him..but?? Why throw away picks like that?? The team can get a player as good or not better at 21..OR maybe lower if they go that way..No way do they trade up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back