PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would a potential rookie cap in 2011 prevent NE from signing the OAK and CAR picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockt327

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud, but....

If one is a top 10 pick, it seems like it would be tough to fit two 1st and two 2nds under a cap.

Also, if there is a cap, could that be the end of having 12 picks? I mean, with a cap it would be hard to sign all those guys, no?

Has there been speculation on what the actual numbers and provisions for a rookie cap might be?

Re: Would a potential rookie cap in 2011 prevent NE from signing the OAK and CAR pick

no, that is not how it would work.

Re: Would a potential rookie cap in 2011 prevent NE from signing the OAK and CAR pick

The theory goes that it would be cheaper to sign top picks with a rookie cap than the money they get now so it should be easier to sign all those picks.

From what I've heard, there wouldn't be a rookie "cap", but a rookie scale, i.e. each player would get a salary based on how high they are drafted. I imagine that salary would still count against the cap but it shouldn't be a problem since it would be considerably lower than what they command now.

no, that is not how it would work.
ok

Are you thinking would it be more of a pay scale than a hard cap?

I imagine they'd use either hard slotting (i.e. each pick gets a defined salary amount) or a pool made up of all of a team's picks and their relative value

It's not like each team is going to get $50M to spend on all their picks. It's going to be based on the number and quality of picks.

In short, no it shouldn't.

Just thinking out loud, but....

If one is a top 10 pick, it seems like it would be tough to fit two 1st and two 2nds under a cap.

Also, if there is a cap, could that be the end of having 12 picks? I mean, with a cap it would be hard to sign all those guys, no?

Has there been speculation on what the actual numbers and provisions for a rookie cap might be?

You don't understand what is meant by a "Rookie Cap". A rookie cap refers to the amount of money a rookie (primarily 1st rounders) could sign for. Currently, the is a "Rookie Pool" that refers to the total amount a team can spend on rookie salaries. Agents got around this by demanding ridiculous signing bonuses for 1st round picks. Going forward, the Rookie Cap would refer to the total amount rookies could be paid in their first year. Basically, it would turn rookie contracts into more incentive based contracts while freeing up some money for vets.

A rookie cap would be a slotting system like the NBA has. That means that it would help the Pats, not hurt them. That means whoever they take would not be able to make more than a certain amount which would be determined on when they are drafted.

You don't understand what is meant by a "Rookie Cap". A rookie cap refers to the amount of money a rookie (primarily 1st rounders) could sign for. Currently, the is a "Rookie Pool" that refers to the total amount a team can spend on rookie salaries. Agents got around this by demanding ridiculous signing bonuses for 1st round picks. Going forward, the Rookie Cap would refer to the total amount rookies could be paid in their first year. Basically, it would turn rookie contracts into more incentive based contracts while freeing up some money for vets.

I don't think the limits will be on the first year, but rather on the total contract value. No more $50M rookies. i'm sure the tradeoff will be shorter contracts, probably 5 years max for the top 15 althouth the union will probably fight for 4. Goodell spoke on his views this week and said that given the bust rate for draft picks half of the $600M in bonus and guaranteed money teams commit to to each rookie class, $300M is being wasted (as in going to losers who never contribute like JaMarcus). That is ridiculous. Whether the owners or players deserve it, the bust's don't and in his opinion guys who have yet to step on a pro field don't warrant that level of committment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes