PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst weather for Pats game in NE

Status
Not open for further replies.
bunzoburns said:
My first Patriots game was against the Colts in '93. The Pats blew them out like 38-0. It was the second to last game of the year and it must have been 25 below with the windchill. I've been to just about every game the last 11 years and I think it was colder than the Titan's playoff game.

YES YES YES.. I've been to every game for the past 14 years.. And that day still sticks in my mind. I brought my brother in law who went to ND and he said that by far was the worst he ever been to..

Here is how cold it was.. I went and got a hot chocolate.. By the time I sat down and was going for my second sip, it was ice cold..

mcsully said:
YES YES YES.. I've been to every game for the past 14 years.. And that day still sticks in my mind. I brought my brother in law who went to ND and he said that by far was the worst he ever been to..

Here is how cold it was.. I went and got a hot chocolate.. By the time I sat down and was going for my second sip, it was ice cold..

The Titans game was the coldest on record in NE - but hearing your story I can tell it obviously depends on the person. I do recall reading that Hot Chocolate outsold beer at Gillette for that Tennessee playoff game though.

mcsully said:

The game in question is the last non sellout at home. I remember that game and the talk was if the Pats were going to be the St Louis Pats the next season.

Murphys95 said:
The Titans game was the coldest on record in NE - but hearing your story I can tell it obviously depends on the person. I do recall reading that Hot Chocolate outsold beer at Gillette for that Tennessee playoff game though.

I'll tell you the difference.. And you are right about the temp.. But there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE sitting on TIN compared to plastic.. The bleachers back in the day didn't help out at all during the cold elements.. Actually it made it a lot worse.

My butt (when it was smaller) froze.. Now I have a nice build back there :) and never freeze :p

Last edited:
hallfamebrady said:
The game in question is the last non sellout at home. I remember that game and the talk was if the Pats were going to be the St Louis Pats the next season.

Honestly I can't remember the talk.. I was excited to see Faulk as a young player. Two things I remember, game was over by half time.. And had to head to Toys R uS for a present.. No idea why.... It was one of the longest days of my life :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Titans Game

That was the coldest game I've been too. I had every layer on that I could bring and I still would not have made it thru without the hot chocolate and home-made kalua my sister smuggled into the game.

I remember people returning bottles of beer to the vendors because they were frozen solid.

We were nose bleed 300-level. Wind was a small factor.

I was also at the Raiders and Miami games.

Second place goes to that Ravens game in 04. Raining sideways. Everybody was soaking wet from head to toe.

Mine would have to be the Pats / Jets in 1993. The rain and the wind was unbelieveable. I think the Jets won 6 - 0. We had plenty of chances to win but we kept on fumbling.[/QUOTE]

* I went to that game, too. I don't think I've ever been that wet with clothes on. At teh half I thought I'd go under the stands to get dry and there was 6 inches of water every where. Miserable weather and game.

denverpatsfan said:
I remember people returning bottles of beer to the vendors because they were frozen solid. .

Too funny. I did exactly that at the Titans game! I guess it was the cold and not my charm that got me a "warm" beer to replace the frozen one.

Murphys95 said:
Too funny. I did exactly that at the Titans game! I guess it was the cold and not my charm that got me a "warm" beer to replace the frozen one.

But how about the frozen solid propane tanks... and frozen camera shutters?! I agree, that it was the Coldest game but since I was dressed right, that was fine. I'd much rather deal with that than driving rain.... ANY DAY! And yes, the Ravens game was the worst conditions (at least for the tailgate) that I've ever seen.

very nice thread

NEM said:
I remember tht game. I had my young son with me (11 at the time) and it was so bad and I was so worried about his health, i took him home at half time. That, for me, is highly unusual as I usually stayed at every game right up until the final gun.

Did you attend the home game vs. the Dolphins later that season? I was at this one as well. It was in early December and freezing ***** cold, though not listed in the top 10 coldest Patriots home games of all time. It certainly was one of the coldest, if not the coldest (with the 1996 AFC Title game vs. the Jaguars right up there), games I've ever went to. My best memories of the game were my father and uncle giving me blackberry brandy they snuck in to keep me warm, Mercury Morris returning the opening kickoff for a touchdown, Pats DB John Outlaw returning a 2nd half INT for a touchdown, and the Pats scoring a big 34-13 upset over the Super Bowl bound Dolphins. Also, a group of drunken fans dancing around with cans of beer stripping down to their undershorts.

I remember the Dolphins game from 71, IT was really cold. I was in the end zone by the old score board. Never expected to beat the Fins that day. Loved the game, remember the drunk guys dancing with their shirts off, crazy.

In the OCt game with the jets, there was 2-3 inches of water in the stands, feew were totally soaked. IIRC we used garbage bags as our raingear. But when you are 18 you can do that stuff.

ooo the joy of New England Weather!!!

patsfan13 said:
I remember the Dolphins game from 71, IT was really cold. I was in the end zone by the old score board. Never expected to beat the Fins that day. Loved the game, remember the drunk guys dancing with their shirts off, crazy.

We were sitting in the opposite end zone. I vaguely remember the temp being in the single digit area, maybe with the wind chill factored in. I'd like to know what the actual temperature was........still can't believe it's not in the Top 10 all-time coldest Pats home game list. IIRC, the game was close for the first half (Pats held a 14-13 halftime lead) and they blew out the Dolphins in the 2nd half. The crowd was NUTS for this game. I remember at least one of the drunk guys taking off his pants and that's when security came over to restore order.

patsfan13 said:
In the OCt game with the jets, there was 2-3 inches of water in the stands, feew were totally soaked. IIRC we used garbage bags as our raingear. But when you are 18 you can do that stuff.

Unfortunately, my father and I were not dressed properly for the elements, thus making our decision to depart early that much easier to make. I'll never forget pouring the water out of my shoes after removing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye