PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst weather for Pats game in NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallfamebrady

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
With the weather being so bad today, I thought I would start a thread on the topic.

Mine would have to be the Pats / Jets in 1993. The rain and the wind was unbelieveable. I think the Jets won 6 - 0. We had plenty of chances to win but we kept on fumbling.

My choice would be the playoff game vs. Tennessee in Jan 2004. Great game, but the temp was in the low single digits. I wore as many layers as I could and I was still freezing by the middle of the 3rd quarter.

I was at the Patriots/Eagles preseason game in 2004. It poured most of the game, the only difference between that day and today is that the temps were in the 60's! Thankfully, my friend and I were sitting in section 205, Row 26 which is under the small overhang!

My memory might fail me on this but it was in the mid seventies and the Pats played the Oilers (?) in a monsoon losing 7-0 as the punter couldn't handle the snap, fumbling it and it was run in for a TD. The players slid all over the field. I was never so wet in all my life, even under layers of everything............

PS- Internet searching revealed it was the opener in 1975 and DB Willie Germany retuned the fumble.

Last edited:
Worst I experienced (non freezing related Titans playoff has to take the title there) was a game against the Jets, first or second year at Schafer Stadium, remnants of a Hurricane There must have been 2-3 inches during the game. every time a guy got tackled they looked like BB players sliding on a tarp.

IIRC Nance had a big day.

Bill's Girl said:
I was at the Patriots/Eagles preseason game in 2004. It poured most of the game, the only difference between that day and today is that the temps were in the 60's! Thankfully, my friend and I were sitting in section 205, Row 26 which is under the small overhang!

My God do I remember that game.

Since I was too lazy to get up and have to swim through the puddles (which the people in the first row were dumping over onto the drains on the side of the field with used cups), I stayed in my seat, about row 10 of a corner 100 section. By the end of the game, my whimpy poncho had a swimming pool's worth of water sitting on top of it. My host had a trash bag which couldn't cover his legs - he left by halftime. I've never seen it rain so damn hard for so damn long. To make things worse, we were stuck in the middle of the parking lot for a good 2 hours after the game - without tailgate supplies - due to a crash on Route 1.

Brutal.

Last edited:
how about Patriots-Dolphins '03 or '04 . we won 9-0 and Bruschi had that return for TD

837230.jpg

pats1 said:
My God do I remember that game.

Since I was too lazy to get up and have to swim through the puddles (which the people in the first row were dumping over onto the drains on the side of the field with used cups), I stayed in my seat, about row 10 of a corner 100 section. By the end of the game, my whimpy poncho had a swimming pool's worth of water sitting on top of it. My host had a trash bag which couldn't cover his legs - he left by halftime. I've never seen it rain so damn hard for so damn long. To make things worse, we were stuck in the middle of the parking lot for a good 2 hours after the game - without tailgate supplies - due to a crash on Route 1.

Brutal.

One good thing about going on car trips with women is that we pack like we will be gone for a month!! We had plenty of food and water in the cooler! We sat in traffic in the parking lot until about 1230am and did not get back home that night until 2am! Thank goodness it was a Friday night! BB spent most of that game with his gatorade towel on his head, no jacket, just a soaked hoodie. That sweatshirt must have weighed 20 pounds! Tom and some of the offense guys were wearing towels on their heads like a turban!

Season opener-Miami-1988 maybe? Anyway, 6 inches of water/sewerage underneath by the concessions. Nasty.

Can you imagine if they tried to play today?

I am going to have to disagree on the Titans playoff game. I did go and it was no question cold. The wind was nill so it was not as bad as it could have been. I was also dressed in a zillion layers.

1. Aw geez, anyone old enough to remember the 50 degree preseason game against the Rams in 1979???? Whoo, what a miserable game. The Pats lost 15-3. This was early August (!) and the weather turned to nasty rain and unseasonable cold weather (and of course we parked 1 mile away to get into the cheap $3 parking lot).

2. Baltimore Ravens, November '04. Post-game tailgating hell (Mrs. B will testify to this one!). Slop, mist, showers, sideways rain, 50 degrees - during game time. Freak monster gusts of winds and biting cold - after the game. Tailgate canopies were gliding across the tailgate lots with people chasing them (no lie)! Here's a pic of two the mangled canopies. You cannot see it but they are in a foot of water (overflowing drainage ditch).

patsravens0021.jpg

I was at the Eagles preseason game too. It was horrible. I was driving to ct and flying to Oregon the next day. I spent 10 days in the pacific northwest and did not see as much rain as I did at Gillette that night.

I was also at the Miami game where Bru had the td. We left here at 11:30 and got to our seats at half time. It was amazing. People ask why we didnt turn around and go home...Truth be told, we couldn't. We were on rte 1 by 1:30. Then we just stopped. We had my cousin's jeep wrangler and my uncle was able to squeeze us in between two Winnebego's across the street from the stadium. We couldn't get to our seats. We sat in the upper level in the end zone with the wind and snow whipping at our faces. It was brutal but we had a lot of fun.

The next week we went to the game vs Jacksonville and it snowed during the game but not before. The only bad part about that was getting out. We got to the car at 4:15, walked into our home (normally a 2 hour game day drive w/traffic) at 10:20. Horrible.

Bill's Girl said:
One good thing about going on car trips with women is that we pack like we will be gone for a month!! We had plenty of food and water in the cooler! We sat in traffic in the parking lot until about 1230am and did not get back home that night until 2am! Thank goodness it was a Friday night! BB spent most of that game with his gatorade towel on his head, no jacket, just a soaked hoodie. That sweatshirt must have weighed 20 pounds! Tom and some of the offense guys were wearing towels on their heads like a turban!

511677056ju.jpg

511677066rp.jpg

511677093gm.jpg

Remix 6 said:
how about Patriots-Dolphins '03 or '04 . we won 9-0 and Bruschi had that return for TD
Good call. I'll never forget being stuck on Rt. 1 for 3 hours and hearing on the radio that we should turn around and go home. We ended up parking illegally and running to the stadium, getting there in time for the 2nd half. I had to pull myself up the railing to scale the stairs. There was so much snow on the seat and aisle tha I ended up standing on 2 feet of snow the entire game.

Of course the game turned out great and my buddy, a Fins fan, ended up getting pelted with snow balls and threatened with violence. So it all worked out in the end.

hallfamebrady said:
Can you imagine if they tried to play today?

I am going to have to disagree on the Titans playoff game. I did go and it was no question cold. The wind was nill so it was not as bad as it could have been. I was also dressed in a zillion layers.

I'm curious, where did you sit? My wife and I were in the upper deck and the wind was significant enough to exacerbate the circumstances (best guess 10 mph). On the other hand, my friend sat in the mid-level seats and also mentioned there was little wind.

It was thiiiiiiiiis cold:
Scan225.jpg

Murphys95 said:
I'm curious, where did you sit? My wife and I were in the upper deck and the wind was significant enough to exacerbate the circumstances (best guess 10 mph). On the other hand, my friend sat in the mid-level seats and also mentioned there was little wind.

It was thiiiiiiiiis cold:
Scan225.jpg

I sit in section 125 at the top of the section so I have the overhang.

I have felt colder at other games since I was not as dressed

patsfan13 said:
Worst I experienced (non freezing related Titans playoff has to take the title there) was a game against the Jets, first or second year at Schafer Stadium, remnants of a Hurricane There must have been 2-3 inches during the game. every time a guy got tackled they looked like BB players sliding on a tarp.

IIRC Nance had a big day.

I was at this game. It was October 1971, the first year at Foxboro's Schaefer Stadium. It was my first live Pats game and I was 10 years old (my father took me). Terrible rain. It was coming down so hard it was hard to see the action at times. Al Woodall started at QB for the Jets in place of an injured Joe Namath. I remember seeing Don Maynard sliding 20 yards downfield on the slick artificial turf while stretching out for a pass. The stadium back then was not "ready for primetime", so to speak, and the drainage on the field was horrible, with lots of big puddles to splash in. The drainage in the stands was even worse, as you had to wade through floods underneath just to use the bathroom. It was so bad that my father and I decided to leave after the first quarter. We listened to the rest of the game on the radio.......it was scoreless at the half, and the Pats went on to post a 20-0 victory. Quite an experience for my first live NFL game.

hallfamebrady said:
With the weather being so bad today, I thought I would start a thread on the topic.

Mine would have to be the Pats / Jets in 1993. The rain and the wind was unbelieveable. I think the Jets won 6 - 0. We had plenty of chances to win but we kept on fumbling.

That was the worst, and I've been to them all -- including the Miami snow game, Raiders playoff and Titans playoff deep freeze. It rained so hard at times you couldn't see the other end of the field, and people cheered the harder it came down. I think six inches fell during the game. I wore a rain poncho and every stitch of clothing I had on was soaked afterward. Even though the Titan playoff game was very cold, I felt colder at the AFCC in Pittsburgh a year ago. Heinz was an icebox.

Last edited:
Worst weather for a Pats game.

My first Patriots game was against the Colts in '93. The Pats blew them out like 38-0. It was the second to last game of the year and it must have been 25 below with the windchill. I've been to just about every game the last 11 years and I think it was colder than the Titan's playoff game.

Patsfanin Philly said:
My memory might fail me on this but it was in the mid seventies and the Pats played the Oilers (?) in a monsoon losing 7-0 as the punter couldn't handle the snap, fumbling it and it was run in for a TD. The players slid all over the field. I was never so wet in all my life, even under layers of everything............

PS- Internet searching revealed it was the opener in 1975 and DB Willie Germany retuned the fumble.
Not sure it was a punter that fumbled..but I remember that game...listening to it (because few home games at that time were ever on..) They did show part of the game on a weeknite..part..and I remember it looked like monsoons!! I would have to say that game!! Funny...a few years later Germany ended up in NE...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye