PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst starting CBs in Belichick era?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do. His name is Hobbs.

Besides, the worst we ever started was Earthwind Moreland, and Randall gay. Thank god it wasnt for a whole season.:rolleyes:

"We do. His name is Hobbs."

:eek: :eek: HUH???? Hobbs will never be a top 5 corner......The guy gets burned several times a game and should only be in there for certain packages......

I doubt there will be another signing.

What about Dom Caper's influence?

What about the pass rush up front?

Rush up front is another big concern........We need to get more pressure on the QB this year...

"We do. His name is Hobbs."

:eek: :eek: HUH???? Hobbs will never be a top 5 corner......The guy gets burned several times a game and should only be in there for certain packages......

No he doesnt and if i asked you for evidence you wouldnt be able to provide it.

Still dont get the Hobbs hate. Hobbs has problems against elite guys but he shuts down tons of others. He's shut down Evans, TJ Housh., Coles, Chambers (pre san diego), amongst others.

seriously, it's true, i don't understand why everyone dislikes hobbs, he's an above average starting corner in this league. plus, think of all the phantom PI's that have been called on this guy throughout his career-- and i don't see how anyone can say he gets consistently burned, he never gets 'burned', he's always there for the tackle and usually there to make a play on the ball.

Hobbs has problems against elite guys but he shuts down tons of others.

Week 8: Torry Holt
Week 9: Reggie Wayne
Week 16: Larry Fitzgerald

Speaking of Week 16...

Ellis Hobbs vs Larry Fitzgerald
Terrence Wheatley vs Anquan Boldin

:eek:

Speaking of Week 16...

There ya go. 3 games he will have trouble with. And i highly doubt he lines up against wayne. He usually gets Marvin Harrison.

Im assuming he will get Dwayne Bowe this week and that should be a good test for him since Bowe BLOOMED into KC's number 1 last year and figures to be the go to guy.

Speaking of Week 16...

Week one : Dwayne Bowe

Week 3: Ernest Wilford

610x.jpg

Elite incompletion.

Speaking of Week 16...

We do not have corners line up on receivers. They do not flip flop they play the same side and cover whoever lines up on that side.
Who Hobbs will cover depends on who the other team sends to his side of the field.

Asante Samuel and Randall Gay in 2004 might end up being a worse combo than Hobbs and Wheatley. Samuel was pretty mediocre to average until mid-way through his third season. Hobbs is going into his third season now.

Predict.

All I know is that this is the first time in the BB era we don't have a Pro-Bowl league top 5 #1 corner.

Asante in 2005 was garbage....Him and Chad Scott werent top 5 corners...

it goes to show you, it's all about the front seven. Who in here thought the Giants would shut down our WRs with that mediocre DBfield? As long as the corners play solid, we'll survive, IF the front seven is that much faster. I cannot say enough how badly we need ADT and Vrabel to be healthy, healthy!

We do not have corners line up on receivers. They do not flip flop they play the same side and cover whoever lines up on that side.
Who Hobbs will cover depends on who the other team sends to his side of the field.

AJ, while this is generally true it isn't a set in stone fact. They switched Hobbs around to cover Chad Johnson last year in the Bengals game. It doesn't happen often but if they want a matchup, they will switch to get it. They played a lot of zone last year, which makes switching sides pretty pointless.

I also expect some changes in the coverage schemes this year so who knows how things will turn out in that regard. That being said, I don't expect them to change sides against Fitzgerald/Boldin though as you said.

Still dont get the Hobbs hate. Hobbs has problems against elite guys but he shuts down tons of others. He's shut down Evans, TJ Housh., Coles, Chambers (pre san diego), amongst others.

He shut down Chad Johnson IIRC, and he's always played admirably against Reggie Wayne (save for BULL**** PI calls).

Last edited:
2000: Ty Law / Otis Smith
2001: Ty Law / Otis Smith
2002: Ty Law / Otis Smith
2003: Ty Law / Tyrone Poole
2004: Ty Law / Asante Samuel
2005: Asante Samuel / Chad Scott
2006: Asante Samuel / Ellis Hobbs
2007: Asante Samuel / Ellis Hobbs
2008: Ellis Hobbs / Terrence Wheatley

Hmmm.

Why a thread about anything "worst"? I don't understand the negative spin of topics like this.

Predict.

All I know is that this is the first time in the BB era we don't have a Pro-Bowl league top 5 #1 corner.

Huh? Do you know anything about this team? Your contention is just flat out wrong.

Look at all the no-name guys who only later became well known on this team - or retreads like who were pulled off the scrap heap to contribute when guys like Ty Law went down with an injury, pulling together to show the rest of the league that "unknown" DBs can play at a pro-bowl level when they play as a team.

I urge you to post more... ignorant disrespectful comments are like spinach for Popeye to this team.

Earthwind and Gay, with Troy Brown playing the nickel was by far the worst secondary we ever started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back