PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst officiated game I've seen in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I didn't realize he was the guy who got shoved as well!!

All in a days work I guess....

OK--so official #22 is the guy who: let the Baltimore DB shove him with two hands w/o throwing a flag; doesn't call H2H on this play; and doesn't throw a flag on the 4th down fade to Crabtree.

I'd say he was robbed. He should have been the MVP instead of Flacco. The Ravens should make sure he gets a ring.

Steve Stelljes, the Ben Dreith of San Francisco 49ers fans.

The Boston Globe article by Zuri Berry about the last call makes absolutely np sense. She claims the Ravens played for 60 minutes and the 49ers didn't.

Bull, the game came down to the last drive, and the 49ers failed. In many respects, it did come down to that last call. Maybe it was the right one, I don't know.

But a day later, I agree with those who think a ref simply can't make that call even though it's a clear penalty. A flag can't decide the Super Bowl even if the call was 75% a hold. It's gotta be in the 90% range to be called.

So, the 49ers put themselves in that position.

But on the other hand, what again was the excuse for no offsides on Ed Reed?

What about the 49ers not getting called for a late hit against Flacco on 3rd and goal. Should have been called and wasnt which woulda let to a TD insead of a FG which would have made the game outta reach. They let them play. Get over it.
Defenders get an extra step to hit the QB when he's out of the pocket, and Flacco had not yet stepped out of bounds when he was hit.

The Boston Globe article by Zuri Berry about the last call makes absolutely np sense. She claims the Ravens played for 60 minutes and the 49ers didn't.

Bull, the game came down to the last drive, and the 49ers failed. In many respects, it did come down to that last call. Maybe it was the right one, I don't know.

But a day later, I agree with those who think a ref simply can't make that call even though it's a clear penalty. A flag can't decide the Super Bowl even if the call was 75% a hold. It's gotta be in the 90% range to be called.

Zuri Berry Replaces Chris Forsberg on Boston.com | Bleacher Report

I'm unclear in the real game definition of 75% hold vs 90% hold. WTF?

Agree that 9ers EARNED the loss by their play esp their play selection on that last Red Zone

I'm unclear in the real game definition of 75% hold vs 90% hold. WTF?

Agree that 9ers EARNED the loss by their play esp their play selection on that last Red Zone

You never heard of a 50/50 call? A call that can go either way?

That play last night is a call that's made 75% of the time.

A 90% is "that is almost definitely a penalty."

Kudos to the Raven for knowing exactly when to stop wrapping up the receiver--at about the 8 yard mark when the ball was at its apex.

I don't think rolling into the kicker qualifies for roughing

Actually, the replay shows that the kicker decided to go down without being touched; shouldn't have even been a penalty.

That has nothing to do with whether or not a game was poorly officiated, and this one absolutely was. If SF hadn't made it a game down the stretch before playcalling themselves out of a Lombardi, that is all folks would be talking about, shoddy officiating in the biggest game of the year.

Every game is poorly officiated particularly when you're rooting for the team that lost.

Some games are just worst than others. I think this one qualifies as one of the "normal" badly officiated games not a "terrible" game. Holding calls are always the worst since they appear almost totally arbitrary. The fact that the final 49ers play from scrimmage had a debatable holding call puts it on par with probably 75% of the plays in the game that had debatable holding calls. It is what it is.

Close games get more scrutiny. It's not that the officiating tends to be worse; it's just that the calls are more closely analyzed.

Bull. In the history of sports, no penalty flag or official has decided the outcome of a game by making the right call. Officials only decide outcomes when they make bad calls. I never understood the logic of putting away the whistle in big moments of big games.

Ok, so they wouldn't add any time to the clock. So what's to stop Baltimore from employing the "hold everyone down with everything you've got and run out the clock before taking the safety" strategy?
Right now there's absolutely nothing to stop them from employing that strategy, which is why that's exactly what they ended up doing.

Speculation is that the league will close that loophole in the rules but as of this past Sunday, that "hold 'em deliberately" strategy was nothing but smart coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back