PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst officiated game I've seen in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing the league is taking seriously its stance on player safety. This is the 3rd down play prior to the hold on fourth down, with the same official in position to make a call. This woudl have given the 49ers a first and goal, inside the 5 with less than 2 mins to play.

When you are that close, how do you not see the helmet to helmet hit??

crabtree1.gif

crabtree2.gif

crabtree3.gif

OK--so official #22 is the guy who: let the Baltimore DB shove him with two hands w/o throwing a flag; doesn't call H2H on this play; and doesn't throw a flag on the 4th down fade to Crabtree.

I'd say he was robbed. He should have been the MVP instead of Flacco. The Ravens should make sure he gets a ring.

What about the 49ers not getting called for a late hit against Flacco on 3rd and goal. Should have been called and wasnt which woulda let to a TD insead of a FG which would have made the game outta reach. They let them play. Get over it.

This made nba officiating seem impartial. I'm done with football and Herr Goodell. If only there was some sort alternative to the best game on earth. Maybe I'll start watching college ball much closer...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
You must of had money on the Niners.

Like Bruschi said you cant throw a flag in that situation. The play wasnt even close to being successful and that would have basically gift wrapped the 49ers the superbowl. Maybe if Kap threw it to anyone else besides Crabtree they could have gotten in.

And that David Akers play Akers didnt even get touched... he flopped

My 2 cents

Disclaimer - I didn't watch every play of his game since I didn't have a rooting interest.

I don't disagree with people claiming flags could have been thrown on the Ravens for Defensive holding on numerous occasions. However the same could be said for the Niners, DB's and LB's. The fact was the refs simply were not going to call anything but the most obvious holding calls, but I thought they did it on both sides.

That being said, I thought there were 3 calls that were simply "bad calls".

1. The blatant off side on the extra point.

2. The shoving of the ref

3. The Ravens getting only a 5 yd penalty on the missed FG.

Ultimately the 2 things I got from this game was the Brain Fart by the Niner's staff in not running the ball when they had the ball first and goal on the 6. If it were the Pats, I'd be mad but I'd understand it. But the Niners had run the ball well all night, PLUS, while I'm not a fan of the read option for the NFL, because I think NFL defenses will quickly catch up with it, the option is a hugely effective GL offense, and passing off it makes it even more effective, yet the Niner's never used it. Not ONCE. So when Harbaugh decides to stop *****ing about the officiating he has to answer to that one.

The second thing I got was a confirmation that these days, its OFFENSES that win football games. This superbowl had 2 of the best defenses in the league, yet neither had a clue in how to stop the other team....and remember this was in a game where the refs were "letting the team play". The score would have been in the 50's if they had called the game close.

With all of you crying about cb holding wr, did you all forget the pats team of 2003-2004? I didn't remember a lot of complaints coming from Pats fans back then, how times have changed.
+1. The Ravens won with the same philosophy the Patriots have been employing for over a decade now: Chck and Grab the WR's until the refs actually start calling it. No one in here complains when that strategy works for New England.

+1. The Ravens won with the same philosophy the Patriots have been employing for over a decade now: Chck and Grab the WR's until the refs actually start calling it. No one in here complains when that strategy works for New England.

because that strategy hasnt worked in NE for at least 4 years now. The pats get called for EVERYTHING.

I think you might be thinking of the Jets who get away with holds constantly.

I don't know if the refs would have put time back on the clock, or if they would have, just how much. But imagine this... They are planning on taking the safety anyway. So on the snap, every Ravens' OLineman simply and literally grabs and tackles a 49er player, dragging them to the ground and holding them there. Obvious, blatant holding, a thousand flags could be thrown. But the holding on every player allows the punter to run out the entire clock because no 49er player can get untangled. Ok, so the clock runs out, they throw the flag, and it's ruled a safety. So what? The Ravens were taking the safety anyway.

So how much time could they, by rule, put back on the clock? If the answer is zero, what incentive did the Ravens have to NOT handle it this way? If the answer is that there is some time put on the clock, just how much?
In that situation, the answer is 0. A play does not end when a penalty occurs, you keep playing.

because that strategy hasnt worked in NE for at least 4 years now. The pats get called for EVERYTHING.

I think you might be thinking of the Jets who get away with holds constantly.
Every fan of every team in the leagues thinks their team is the one always being screwed by the refs. It's part of the inherent biases of being a fan.

The Patriots get called for a lot and they get away with a lot. Just like every single other team. NFL officiating is a ridiculously inexact science, but there's really nothing that can be done to change that.

My 2 cents

Disclaimer - I didn't watch every play of his game since I didn't have a rooting interest.

I don't disagree with people claiming flags could have been thrown on the Ravens for Defensive holding on numerous occasions. However the same could be said for the Niners, DB's and LB's. The fact was the refs simply were not going to call anything but the most obvious holding calls, but I thought they did it on both sides.

That being said, I thought there were 3 calls that were simply "bad calls".

1. The blatant off side on the extra point.

2. The shoving of the ref

3. The Ravens getting only a 5 yd penalty on the missed FG.

Ultimately the 2 things I got from this game was the Brain Fart by the Niner's staff in not running the ball when they had the ball first and goal on the 6. If it were the Pats, I'd be mad but I'd understand it. But the Niners had run the ball well all night, PLUS, while I'm not a fan of the read option for the NFL, because I think NFL defenses will quickly catch up with it, the option is a hugely effective GL offense, and passing off it makes it even more effective, yet the Niner's never used it. Not ONCE. So when Harbaugh decides to stop *****ing about the officiating he has to answer to that one.

The second thing I got was a confirmation that these days, its OFFENSES that win football games. This superbowl had 2 of the best defenses in the league, yet neither had a clue in how to stop the other team....and remember this was in a game where the refs were "letting the team play". The score would have been in the 50's if they had called the game close.

Good points. I only saw the last part of the game but the worst to me was inept 9ers 3rd and goal, receiver gets a helmet to helmet hit. Why was this not called???

The gif of the player litterally attacking the ref was unconscionable for no USC 15 yards if mot ejection.

The holding on 4th down should have been flagged followed by a major *****storm when the refs picked up the PI flag because the pass was out of bounds. :)

What about the 49ers not getting called for a late hit against Flacco on 3rd and goal. Should have been called and wasnt which woulda let to a TD insead of a FG which would have made the game outta reach. They let them play. Get over it.

Refs give defenders leeway when QBs go out of the pocket. That would have had to been helmet to helmet for them to call it.

Hell a lot of QBs get hit late in the pocket and it isn't called that much. How many times do you see Brady get hit late but the rarely gets called.

The one good non call of the game.

OK--so official #22 is the guy who: let the Baltimore DB shove him with two hands w/o throwing a flag; doesn't call H2H on this play; and doesn't throw a flag on the 4th down fade to Crabtree.

I'd say he was robbed. He should have been the MVP instead of Flacco. The Ravens should make sure he gets a ring.

Wow, I didn't realize he was the guy who got shoved as well!!

All in a days work I guess....

Refs give defenders leeway when QBs go out of the pocket. That would have had to been helmet to helmet for them to call it.

Hell a lot of QBs get hit late in the pocket and it isn't called that much. How many times do you see Brady get hit late but the rarely gets called.

The one good non call of the game.

Lol he was pretty much out of bounds when he got hit, he was clearly going to throw the ball away and gave himself up and got jacked up outta bounds thats definately a late hit outta bounds. QB or not thats called alot so it goes both ways. Baltimore is the champs thats that.

Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
That was a legal hit on Flaco. His left foot was not down out of bounds when the contact was first made. Clean hit.

If Pereira says it was a clean hit, i'm inclined to believe him.

This is my last post about the officiating and I don't know if anyone said anything about this in this thread.....I started thinking about the safety at the end and talked to a few of my referee buddies about this situation that happened to see if I was right in my thinking and I think I was....
On the safety Ed ****son was holding his man in the endzone (clearly) hugging him from behind which everyone saw....Since the ravens took the safety that meant that the niners were the scoring team....The rule is a foul against the non scoring team (ravens) can be accepted on the ensuing free kick (safety punt) which would have been from the 10 yard line instead of the 20....Depending on where the punt would land the niners could fair catch/free kick from that spot....This rule allows for a scrimmage kick to occur from the spot of the catch which you can use a tee and lineup just like a kickoff and attempt a FG with the defense having to be at least 10 yards back.....I feel like to ref's just wrote off the game being over and didn't feel they needed to call this but it is just another example of not ref'ing until the end of the game....They need to start holding these officials accountable....

In that situation, the answer is 0. A play does not end when a penalty occurs, you keep playing.

Ok, so they wouldn't add any time to the clock. So what's to stop Baltimore from employing the "hold everyone down with everything you've got and run out the clock before taking the safety" strategy?

one problem with your dismissive little retort...the refs NEVER CALLED a single penalty on the Ravens secondary...if they had done their jobs, the Ravens would have set a modern day record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back